Gibson Brands Forums

Which pedal

Bongoscot

Okay, I'm showing my age here, but back in the olden days before there were various little stomp boxes, one option that covered a lot of variations in tone, attack and decay, is a foot volume pedal.

Some folks with some guitars - e.g., Roy Buchanan and his Tele - could wrap their pinkie around the volume knob and get the same effect. Most players with Gibson-style two pickup, two sets of volume and tone controls without a master volume, would go to the volume pedal.

Often the amp volume was pretty well cranked up pretty well into what one today would call distortion; then the player would find a normal position on the pedal that allowed an incredibly soft attack or, when desired, sustain that lasts all week.

The difference with such a setup is that, as in cars with a manual transmission, the player/driver is in control as opposed to some sort of machine.

I think the Melodymaker could be used as the Tele (or Jazzmaster) with the pinkie trick one way or another. The foot pedal, however, is more versatile in more circumstances.

Again, the deal is that the player is in charge...

m

Archived