Gibson Brands Forums

the Catalinbread Galileo pedal

Rabs

I haven't seen a comparison of the two but if I had to choose I'd just get a vox over the top boost pedal which is basically just a top boost circuit rehoused. The Galieleo is trying to nail a Brian May AC30 tone from what I gathered when I saw them come out. Fortunately I've already got an ac30.

It seems to be their CB30 pedal which is an overdrive that tries to sound like a Vox paired with a stripped down version of their Naga Viper treble booster pedal (which is based on the Dallas Rangemaster but uses a silicon transistor)

It sounds cool but it's not going to turn your amp into a Vox. To me the overdrive has sort of a fizzy sound that sits on top of your guitar whereas a real ac30 has dirt that's more deeply ingrained into your guitar signal. That probly doesn't make any sense. Also they seem to have exaggerated the treble boost sound a bit to much and it sounds thin to me. It uses smaller value caps than the original Rangemaster which makes it a bit thinner sounding

Makes total sense... cheers [thumbup]

Just cant afford an amp like that at the moment.. Guess I will have to just be patient :)

By the way when I said the part about the fizziness, I only detect a little bit of that sometimes. It's really just me being super nitpicky. The pedal sounds great

It's actually pretty hard to get that sound out of a real ac30 too. At least with my ac30 I sound nothing like that. I guess it's just the player

By the way when I said the part about the fizziness, I only detect a little bit of that sometimes. It's really just me being super nitpicky. The pedal sounds great

It's actually pretty hard to get that sound out of a real ac30 too. At least with my ac30 I sound nothing like that. I guess it's just the player

Yes I think that the lesson is to stop trying to find things that sound like other things and just get the thing with the sounds you actually want or you will just not be happy :)

But then if I bought an amp for every sound I want id be even more broke and have too many :P (which I guess is what pedals are for) :-k

Yes I think that the lesson is to stop trying to find things that sound like other things and just get the thing with the sounds you actually want or you will just not be happy :)

Kinda like those pedals that are gonna make your amp sound like a tweed, blonde, or blackface fender. Not gonna happen. The sounds in the demo were pretty sweet though. I wonder if you had a decent EL84 based amp already and were just using this to push it into overdrive... :-k

Kinda like those pedals that are gonna make your amp sound like a tweed, blonde, or blackface fender. Not gonna happen. The sounds in the demo were pretty sweet though. I wonder if you had a decent EL84 based amp already and were just using this to push it into overdrive... :-k

Well I wonder what amp they were using in the video? Possibly a Vox but they didnt say... (actually looking again you can see one in one of the pictures). So maybe it is meant to be used in conjunction for best sound.

That would of course make a big difference..

I use Marshalls generally but dont actually have a tube amp. Ive also been really interested in those pedals with built in tubes... :-k

This is where your money needs to go first. A good tube amp is a requirement. [thumbup]

Yes its coming.. (when I get a new job :))

Ive been looking at one of these Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 combos.. Sounds pretty good..

Or a Vox.. Or one of them new JCM 800 combos (the 1 watt ones)..

They all do such different things I like them all :) (its almost as bad as guitar GAS :P)

Archived