Gibson Brands Forums

Strap button

Motherofpearl

Ever guitar I've bought if it didn't have a strap button I left it the way it was because if I sold it I wanted it to be original. Anyway Ive decided to keep these I have 2. Sj200 Montana gold and a j45 mystic rw. So I'm gonna put the strap button on myself. Doesn't seem to hard but I don't want to mess this up so if ya got any good advice help me out!

Jamie

Right Nick. Here's my pitch again for putting a loop above the nut and keeping the balance in hand equal. Let go of a guitar with a neck heel button and watch it tip. When your fret hand doesn't have to support the neck it's dexterity is enhanced. I hear you all yawning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110853918452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Right Nick. Here's my pitch again for putting a loop above the nut and keeping the balance in hand equal. Let go of a guitar with a neck heel button and watch it tip. When your fret hand doesn't have to support the neck it's dexterity is enhanced. I hear you all yawning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110853918452?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm not yawning. I happen to agree with you. The only guitars I have with strap buttons on the neck heel are my electrics, and they are so body-heavy that they balance OK with that strap arrangement. I have never put a strap button on the heel of an acoustic guitar.

Why do people put a button on then if the strap is better? To be honest I've never played with a strap at the but I'll have to try it

People have different preferences. Some people believe the strap on the headstock gets in the way of your left hand. Other who are used to electrics simply do what they are more comfortable with. There is no right or wrong here. It's a matter of personal preference.

I find that if I wear the guitar up fairly high with the strap and tilt the body so the headstock is a good deal higher than the end pin, the guitar sits very stably without any support from left hand. It works ok suspended from the nut area too but it's so much easier to put on and take off with the heel button.

The center or the far side of the heel is a good solution. Machine the hole with a piece of tape on the drill. Not too big. Then screw your way forward.

Together with an old friend I played my 12-fret with buffalo strap at a garden-party this nite. The strap worked fine, , , my fingers didn't. Just couldn't get them up'n'goin' - too cold. Some whiskey warmed them a bit up, but I had to pick the pick to work out. Wondering Aloud happened pretty good, , , It Stoned Me showed a clumsy mess. The rest was weak in betweens.

The center or the far side of the heel is a good solution. Machine the hole with a piece of tape on the drill. Not too big. Then screw your way forward.

Together with an old friend I played my 12-fret with buffalo strap at a garden-party this nite. The strap worked fine, , , my fingers didn't. Just couldn't get them up'n'goin' - too cold. Some whiskey warmed them a bit up, but I had to pick the pick to work out. Wondering Aloud happened pretty good, , , It Stoned Me showed a clumsy mess. The rest was weak in betweens.

I'll be pouring whiskey on my fingers later to see if it works. In fact, I'll wash both hands in it. Somethin's gotta' help me get through these Dave Grohl songs.

Yeah, I just leave the loop I recommended on all my acoustics. Then I bought med. priced straps for all and just leave 'em hanging ready to play. If you own cats, this isn't recommended as they might grab at it. Easy for me...I hate cats.

I'll be pouring whiskey on my fingers later to see if it works. In fact, I'll wash both hands in it. Somethin's gotta' help me get through these Dave Grohl songs.

Heheh , , , it might work, who knows. I've heard of strong guitarists who keep their hands under water before important performances – one superb jazz-guitarist even told me he had heard of vinegar in the water.

And did you know I actually whiskeyed my 1968 SJ to remove the peculiar smell inside.

After the whiskey-cloth-wash (which wasn't enough), I stuffed it and the case with freshly cut grass and had it there for 18 hours or so. That helped.

Grass from the lawn jedzep. . . . Caseofgrass-.jpg

The promo for the whiskey scene - WhiskInTheJar.jpg

I am also a strap attached to the headstock fan. It just feels more balanced and more secure. I have tried all the different attachment loops like the martin one and the planet waves with the plastic clip. Then I found these and they are just sort of genius in the simplicity. and no plastic button or clip to ding the headstock and neck. I have one on every guitar that has a strap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/neotech-acoustic-guitar-and-banjo-adaptor-loop

DV016_Jpg_Large_469805.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_469805_in-use.jpg

I am also a strap attached to the headstock fan. It just feels more balanced and more secure. I have tried all the different attachment loops like the martin one and the planet waves with the plastic clip. Then I found these and they are just sort of genius in the simplicity. and no plastic button or clip to ding the headstock and neck. I have one on every guitar that has a strap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/neotech-acoustic-guitar-and-banjo-adaptor-loop

DV016_Jpg_Large_469805.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_469805_in-use.jpg

That's the one nodey! Free ship through the Ebay seller I sent the link on.

My beater has an old-fashioned shoe-lace and the nylon has chafed the headstock, so I'm wary of putting a nylon loop on my Gibson. The strap has been on the beater from day one, but it's not had to take the strain all that much, as I usually play sitting down, and always have. I'm hoping that leather is as friendly to headstocks as Martin say. I'm contemplating one of these as an alternative to the Martin job though, as it would be nice to support a UK maker, they're cheaper, and the toggle is cute. Wary of it clanging the headstock too, but perhaps it's on a long enough loop to keep it out of the danger zone. Anybody tried one?

My link

IMG_0889_1.jpg

This was from a while ago, i think the whiskey's gone at this point [thumbup]

I put a heel button my my SJ200 about a year or so about, middle of the treble side of the heel. I use it sometimes and like it but i do keep coming back to the strap over the headstock. I have a couple of straps from Sully and he put a loop at the headstock end for me that works perfectly and balances just right.

I think if i had a leather strap (or something with some sort of grip/texture to it) to use with the heel button i'd like it more. As it is now i have a nylon strap and it does drop and generally move around which is kind of annoying. I've tried those nylon loop things before and they do work well for me too.

As for installing a strap button, make sure to check out Frank Ford's tutorial:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton1.html

I've found that for me, the placement of the strap depends on the guitar and how it balances. For most dreadnaughts I've owned, a strap button on the heel felt best. But for some reason, my Epiphone IB'64 Texan just seems to balance better with a "choker" type strap, with one end looped just behind the nut. Maybe it is because the neck and headstock seem to go on forever. I've got a couple of different choker straps that I use, but I refuse to go with anything that looks like a shoestring. Those just look cheap to me.

Ya I've had a few guitars where they installed it right where your hands goes when going down the fretboard. That's why I want to be sure. I'll check that video out thanks for that.

Just bought the new Gibson Montana leather strap. Well my wife bought it for me. It's sweet

Nylon straps are waterproof I suppose but I wonder if that will work well. I recommend suede.

sample

41Cj03RerOL._AA300_.jpg

+1 I have three of these and love them. soft, supple and great leather smell ----- Mixed with the scent of Rosewood, Hog or Maple and you have a guitarists potpourri. I love the 2 inch width it is just right for me...almost not there.

Archived