Gibson Brands Forums

Compensated saddle vs. non compensated

iwalktheline

hey guys, just curious what the difference is between compensated and non compensated saddles. I can see the difference but what does one do that the other does not? Just curious, I was thinking of maybe getting one (compensated)for my hummingbird, just not sure if I should or not. Any suggestions would be great, thanks again.

Yes, to allow for better intonation. It's not uncommon to have a sharp B string at 12, so you see a lot of saddles compensated to make the B string a tad longer. My J200 came from Bozeman with a compensated B saddle.

You can also have the compensation done at the other end - some use a compensated nut.

Anybody ever had a compensated saddle made for their AJ?? I get sort of a tinny sound out of my B string and just wonder if a compensated saddle would be a improvement

I've had the same experience with a "tinny" B string on my J45 standard. Otherwise a great sounding guitar. Once I notice the subtle "different" sound from the B string though its days were numbered. My current 2 favorite guitars, the D41 and Sparrow both have compensated saddles and no hint of a "tinny" B string. I ofen thought I should have taken the 45 Standard to a luthier and had him fix it but regretfully didn't.

The compensated saddle is a good thing. I've often found the 'tinny' B string thing to be more to do with the surfaces the string touches - the bridge plate, saddle and nut. Any little tweek can stop the tinny klink but can be hard to find, I have a friend who is bald.

Archived