Gibson Brands Forums

Paging DanvillRob

Joe M

Rob,

Got into a discussion with a guy over on the AGF about Dove's. Another guy chimed in and said that he had played a Dove with a 1.575" nut. Thought he was crazy, but when I checked out Gibson's website, they say the Doves In Flight has that nut size. You're the only one on this board that I know that has a DIF. Is that spec correct???

Interestingly, I spent the afternoon with DanvillRob yesterday (and Ol' Fred and Nodehopper) at Fred's annual SANSJAM, and the guitar he was playing outside (it was 107F, or 41C) was his old Jubilee, as no one wanted to take a good guitar outside in that heat. That guitar has the 1 9/16" (1.56") nut, as do most Gibsons from the mid 1960's until around 1980.

We had a little discussion about the narrow-nut Gibsons (I have two of them: one acoustic, one electric), and we agreed that the nut width (I can hear OWF warming up to this one) is a grossly over-rated concern. We agreed that it takes a certain adaptation period--we're talking a few minutes here--to move between wider and narrower nut guitars. If you have particularly fat fingers, it could be problematic, but realistically, if had been a serious issue, I doubt that Gibson would have stuck with it for so long.

Obviously, your playing style may be impacted by nut width, as the narrower nut is unforgiving of fretting hand finger placement.

As I've said before, the actual spacing of the strings in the "picking" area varies little with nut width on most Gibsons, since most have 2 1/8" (54mm)pin spacing, regardless of nut width. Over the soundhole, string spacing difference between the modern standard Gibson nut width and the narrow nut guitars comes out to about .03" (about .75 mm) between each pair of strings. The difference is real, but small.

Some current Gibson have both wider nuts and wider string spacing, and that does make a more significant difference.

Much of the difference in "feel" comes from differences in neck cross-sectional shape, rather than nut width. But it all adds up.

Incidentally, I played Fred's late-1950's CW (basically an SJ Natural) yesterday, and that is one sweet-playing guitar. For some reason, these particular guitars don't get the recognition they deserve, and they often go for about half the price of a J-45 of similar vintage, although the are essentially the same guitar without the sunburst.

Yes, the DIF must have the narrow width, you can almost see it on the G-site photo.

But I have to disagree with you when it comes to adjusting guys.

1-9/16, 1-5/8, 1-11/16 says the old ones. Not even with mandolin-players in mind, I can use the 9/16.

It's like partying half a shoe-size down. It can be done, but how for a relief to get that right pair of suedes back on.

I had the nut replaced on my C&W. The wider string-spacing worked okay, , , , for a while. In reality it just wasn't enough compared to the potential of the guitar so I decided for the talked about big neck-exchange. Will write about that mission soon.

Be patient – have to take the last pictures and find the ones of the old version first.

J45Nick ..it was a pleasure meeting you and playing a few songs together. I also played Ol Fred's vintage Gibby and was sorely tempted to walk out of the house with it when I went home. It is a sweet old girl!

I also feel the nut width size isn't much of a factor switching between guitars. (Although to be completely honest all but one of my acoustics have either 1.72" or 1.75" nuts. The sweet spot for me) Still many of us switch from an acoustic to an electric guitar with that narrow thin neck with out much issue. I know it isn't one size fits all since there are people with bigger and smaller hands, But we still see tiny girl bass players (like Tal Wilkenfeld) and big beefy guys with speedy fingers playing Mandolin.

Action, string gauge, nut width, thickness and shape of the neck all are a factor for the fretting hand. When I grab a guitar it is the whole guitar that I get used to playing so when I switch to another guitar takes a few minutes for my fingers to remember how that particular guitar plays.

Sorry.... getting to this thread rather late.....Steve and Nick....you both missed the best part of the day!

We went until well after midnight.....

Next year.... SANSJAM should NOT be in August....and people should plan on staying the night!

I'm a mess this morning still.... how the heck do the Stones do it?

Sorry.... getting to this thread rather late.....Steve and Nick....you both missed the best part of the day!

Next year.... SANSJAM should NOT be in August....and people should plan on staying the night!

It's an all night effort to do the things I used to do all night.

Ain't that the truth, Peter?

Was good to see you there Saturday too....

Man are you wiped out.

I wasn't there, and I ain't Peter.

I got that line from a band from Cali my uncle turned me onto. He loves that line.

But just so you know, I believe every word. If I was close to SANSJAM, I too would have Jammed all night.

Man are you wiped out.

I wasn't there, and I ain't Peter.

I got that line from a band from Cali my uncle turned me onto. He loves that line.

But just so you know, I believe every word. If I was close to SANSJAM, I too would have Jammed all night.

Oh dang....... sorry! well, I should be back to 'normal' in a couple of days!

I'll be 63 on Saturday....so I'm a full 6 years younger than Keiff & Mick.....I take my hat off to them....to do what they do...... over and over........

Oh dang....... sorry! well, I should be back to 'normal' in a couple of days!

I'll be 63 on Saturday....so I'm a full 6 years younger than Keiff & Mick.....I take my hat off to them....to do what they do...... over and over........

Bob is just having flashbacks. If there are two people in front of him, he thinks he's back on stage, and picks up a guitar and plays until there is nobody there. Sometimes, he just keeps playing even if there really is nobody there.

He is a man who just loves to play guitar and sing. And that's a good thing.

Bob is just having flashbacks. If there are two people in front of him, he thinks he's back on stage, and picks up a guitar and plays until there is nobody there. Sometimes, he just keeps playing even if there really is nobody there.

He is a man who just loves to play guitar and sing. And that's a good thing.

Nick..... I think you nailed me to a tee!

Usually when I start playing the crowd turns into "nobody there" fairly quickly!

Nick..... I think you nailed me to a tee!

Usually when I start playing the crowd turns into "nobody there" fairly quickly!

you had the crowd rockin Sat. night, and if what's left of my memory serves me right..... You were up and rockin your own bad self.

Fun stuff guys.

you had the crowd rockin Sat. night, and if what's left of my memory serves me right..... You were up and rockin your own bad self.

Fun stuff guys.

Fred, you outdid yourself this time.

Give Dottie a big ol' kiss from me.... and I forgot to tell her what a wonderful breakfast she served on Sunday.

I can only imagine how much work it is to feed 20+ people, (after a night that went well past midnight!).

I quite simply love you guys!

Tony & Curt are quite simply the best! If they can follow me, they can follow anyone!

Next year.... think May.... or October...... but NOT August! HAHAHAHAhahahaha..................

Bob, the Stones are not only a bit older, but they have a lot more mileage on them than you do. Having said that, you carried the weight at SANSJAM, and you deserve to be a bit blown out the day after.

Wish I could have stayed for the whole thing, but I was a bit knackered after a six-hour flight followed by a three-hour drive up there, Having negotiated Fred's road in daylight, I had no desire to do it at night. I could see me ending up in a ditch, even after only one small beer.

On the plus side, I was back in my hotel in San Francisco by 10:30 that night, and at my office there by 0900 Sunday morning. Who goes to work on Sunday?

I hate being a responsible adult.

If I make it to SANSJAM next year, I may be a bit more irresponsible. You and Fred are absolutely the greatest. And Nodehopper ain't bad either!

Outside my hotel, there is a Jimi Hendrix clone group busking almost every night. They are bloody good. I'll try to take some pictures the next night they are out there. The Jimi guy both looks and plays like him--it's a bit spooky, sort of as if Jimi had never made it, and ended up playing on a street corner in SF through an amp powered by a small generator.

I know it's not really him, since this guy plays a lefty strat as a righty, rather than a righty strat as a lefty like Hendrix. He is about the right age, however.

This is one strange town.

Bob, the Stones are not only a bit older, but they have a lot more mileage on them than you do. Having said that, you carried the weight at SANSJAM, and you deserve to be a bit blown out the day after.

Wish I could have stayed for the whole thing, but I was a bit knackered after a six-hour flight followed by a three-hour drive up there, Having negotiated Fred's road in daylight, I had no desire to do it at night. I could see me ending up in a ditch, even after only one small beer.

On the plus side, I was back in my hotel in San Francisco by 10:30 that night, and at my office there by 0900 Sunday morning. Who goes to work on Sunday?

I hate being a responsible adult.

If I make it to SANSJAM next year, I may be a bit more irresponsible. You and Fred are absolutely the greatest. And Nodehopper ain't bad either!

Outside my hotel, there is a Jimi Hendrix clone group busking almost every night. They are bloody good. I'll try to take some pictures the next night they are out there. The Jimi guy both looks and plays like him--it's a bit spooky, sort of as if Jimi had never made it, and ended up playing on a street corner in SF through an amp powered by a small generator.

I know it's not really him, since this guy plays a lefty strat as a righty, rather than a righty strat as a lefty like Hendrix. He is about the right age, however.

This is one strange town.

San Francisco strange? You sure?

Just remember, if you drop your wallet, kick it all the way to Oakland before you dare bend over to pick it up!

Fred and Dottie are such great hosts..... you should plan on staying the night.... they have a "spare tent" put up across the street, so

anyone who wanted to stay could simply curl up and sleep in the tent. Usually all the inside beds are taken, so there were like 3

tents on Fred's lawn...and of course I was out in the RV area!

Let's face it Nick...you have a strange job!

Archived