Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing pickups on SG Robot

Dandelion

I've bought a SG Robot second hand (it's ebony with only dot inlays on the neck). I would like to change the pickups (for a SD Custom and a 59 or Pearly Gates). Is it possible without messing with the Robot system ? How hard is it ? Quite different from a normal Gibson ?

I can't find info about it.

Thanks

On an Original Robot, it should be doable without much fuss. I like the OEM Pickups... but whatever. Should be pretty much like any other guitar. Get the schematic from the tech support section. Just be careful not to biff the "fancy knob"... there's lots of wires and stuff in the cavity to work around.

• 1 month later...

I have the same guitar. I wasn't happy with the stock pickups and installed a set of '57 Classics. It was a bit of a pain, but not that different than changing pickups on anything else. You have to be VERY careful with the ribbon cables that connect to the bridge and tailpiece, but the wiring is pretty standard.

BTW, I wasn't terribly satisfied with the results. I think SGs sound is dominated by the body more than most guitars. I have 57s in many guitars and love them, but they didn't do what I'd hoped for this thing.

Greg

Archived