Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio 2012 which locking tuners to get?

musicman6283

I have a 2012 LP Studio and want to upgrade to some locking tuners. I was thinking of going with planet wave tuners because they have the trimmer built in..My main thing is i do not want to have to drill any holes in my guitar to make the new ones fit. Have any of you replaced your tuners with locking tuners and not had to drill any holes? If so let me know which ones you got and how you like them. Thanks

I have a 2012 LP Studio and want to upgrade to some locking tuners. I was thinking of going with planet wave tuners because they have the trimmer built in. My main thing is I do not want to have to drill any holes in my guitar to make the new ones fit. Have any of you replaced your tuners with locking tuners and not had to drill any holes? If so let me know which ones you got and how you like them. Thanks

I am looking at the Planet Waves as well, the auto string cutter thing sounds like a way cool feature. It is an 18:1 ratio just like the locking tuners on my 2012 Standard. This is to upgrade the tuners on a Midtown Standard. The stock tuners have some baclkash to them and I just don't like it as is.

A direct replacement is of utmost importance. I don't want to drill any holes either. They are both 10cm holes but the little screw must be directly below the tuner, not to the side. The ones to the side are for 6 in line I believe which is why I will have to buy them at a store instead of online.

I might pick them up tomorrow so I'll report back if I can.

Doing a major clean up in my apartment today because my son is coming over for a few days and I can't let him see how I really live. Guitars, beer bottles, and wires all over the place.

I am looking at the Planet Waves as well, the auto string cutter thing sounds like a way cool feature. It is an 18:1 ratio just like the locking tuners on my 2012 Standard. This is to upgrade the tuners on a Midtown Standard. The stock tuners have some baclkash to them and I just don't like it as is.

A direct replacement is of utmost importance. I don't want to drill any holes either. They are both 10cm holes but the little screw must be directly below the tuner, not to the side. The ones to the side are for 6 in line I believe which is why I will have to buy them at a store instead of online.

I might pick them up tomorrow so I'll report back if I can.

Doing a major clean up in my apartment today because my son is coming over for a few days and I can't let him see how I really live. Guitars, beer bottles, and wires all over the place.

I am looking also at the

Chrome

Hipshot 6GLO Grip Lock Locking Guitar Tuning Machine Set Chrome

The peg style is exactly what i am looking for. They do not have the cutting feature like the planet waves do, but for now im just doing research. I had to send my new Lp studio back, the neck had a dent around the 4th fret and i couldn't get rid of the fret buzz, and it had some other blemishes as well. so they are going to inspect the new one and hopefully ship it out tomorrow. Let me know how the install goes and shoot some pics. thanks

I am looking also at the

Chrome

Hipshot 6GLO Grip Lock Locking Guitar Tuning Machine Set Chrome

The peg style is exactly what i am looking for. They do not have the cutting feature like the planet waves do, but for now im just doing research. I had to send my new Lp studio back, the neck had a dent around the 4th fret and i couldn't get rid of the fret buzz, and it had some other blemishes as well. so they are going to inspect the new one and hopefully ship it out tomorrow. Let me know how the install goes and shoot some pics. thanks

I should get them early next week. I'll post a pic when I install them.

I should get them early next week. I'll post a pic when I install them.

I actually just got my Schallar locking tuners in..they look really nice..going to install this weekend. the posts look pretty short but then again with locking tuners you dont have to wrap the string around a lot. i will also post pics when i get them installed.

I actually just got my Schallar locking tuners in..they look really nice..going to install this weekend. the posts look pretty short but then again with locking tuners you dont have to wrap the string around a lot. i will also post pics when i get them installed.

I finally got around to the pics

http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s512/musicman6283/Gibson%20Les%20Pail%20studio%202012/

You should do something about the open screw holes left from the the original tuners. Fll them up and maybe somehow paint over them.

I got the Planet Waves Auto trim tuners and it came with the screw guides directly below just like the original ones. I'll post some pics if you like.

I am sure the Schallers work as well as the Planet Waves in keeping the guitar in tune. The 18:1 ratio makes a big difference over the 14:1 stock Grovers as far as getting the guitar in precise tuning fast and easy.

Archived