Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Nighthawk 2011

Sutoria

Hey guys, first post here. I was wondering if any of you have the gibson nighthawk 2011 model? You can find it here, http://www2.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/designer/gibson-usa/nighthawk-2011.aspx

Is it available or has it been discontinued. If it has then I can't understand why seeing how its a 2011 model. If I can get my hands on it, I'd rather it than a les paul standard 2012 because this one is just so much more versatile. Plus it looks beautiful. What do you guys think? Anyone own it here?

Hey guys, first post here. I was wondering if any of you have the gibson nighthawk 2011 model? You can find it here, http://www2.gibson.com/products/electric-guitars/designer/gibson-usa/nighthawk-2011.aspx

Is it available or has it been discontinued. If it has then I can't understand why seeing how its a 2011 model. If I can get my hands on it, I'd rather it than a les paul standard 2012 because this one is just so much more versatile. Plus it looks beautiful. What do you guys think? Anyone own it here?

Hello :) [thumbup]

So a Nighthawk fan.. I also think they are pretty cool...

At the moment you can get the Studio versions

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-Studio.aspx

And you may be able to find the odd one here and there but no one knows how many guitars Gibson make of each model and if they will keep making them or not... Its all part of the mystery :)

BUT the one that I REALLY loved (but missed out on by one hour as the last one was sold just before I got there) was the 2009 model as it had a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.. And that pickup combo is just the best ive ever played (I used to have a LP BFG with that pickup combo on it)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-2009.aspx

But as always its why it worth putting the effort to find the one that suits you best.. All have different necks, finshes and pickups.. So you gotta try as many as you can... [thumbup]

Hello :) [thumbup]

So a Nighthawk fan.. I also think they are pretty cool...

At the moment you can get the Studio versions

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-Studio.aspx

And you may be able to find the odd one here and there but no one knows how many guitars Gibson make of each model and if they will keep making them or not... Its all part of the mystery :)

BUT the one that I REALLY loved (but missed out on by one hour as the last one was sold just before I got there) was the 2009 model as it had a Burstbucker Pro in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.. And that pickup combo is just the best ive ever played (I used to have a LP BFG with that pickup combo on it)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-2009.aspx

But as always its why it worth putting the effort to find the one that suits you best.. All have different necks, finshes and pickups.. So you gotta try as many as you can... [thumbup]

I am curious. In what way do you feel the Nighthawk is more versatile than a 2012 LP Standard? I am not all that familiar with the Nighthawk but I have seen them.

With the 2012 Standard you can coil tap the neck pickup and get that P-90 and Humbucker tone. Well at least 90% of it.

Edit: after looking it up I can see it is a totally different instrument than an LP. Longer scale lenghth like a Strat and its not Mahogany it's Poplar. I see the 2011 has a middle pup as well.

It does not really compare well with an LP. Two different instuments. I'd like to check one out myself.

I am curious. In what way do you feel the Nighthawk is more versatile than a 2012 LP Standard? I am not all that familiar with the Nighthawk but I have seen them.

With the 2012 Standard you can coil tap the neck pickup and get that P-90 and Humbucker tone. Well at least 90% of it.

Edit: after looking it up I can see it is a totally different instrument than an LP. Longer scale lenghth like a Strat and its not Mahogany it's Poplar. I see the 2011 has a middle pup as well.

It does not really compare well with an LP. Two different instuments. I'd like to check one out myself.

You quoted the wrong person :)

All I said was I think they are cool... The OP said he thinks they are versatile..

However in saying that it depends on what model you look at.. The 2011 version was pretty darn sweet. And look at that pickup combo with a 5 way switch so not only do you get the humbuckers but a mixture of a true single coil and humbuckers (that also has push pull knobs).. Which is pretty cool :)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Nighthawk-2011.aspx

DSN11VSGH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Hi Sutoria,

Last week I got my brand new, Gibson Nighthawk 2011, and it was just as nice, and well crafted as expected !, the combination of two humbuckers and one single coil pick-up, with coil tapping on the humbuckers, gives you a variety of sounds, from a traditional humbucker sound, to a real stratocaster sound. My best recommendations to the 2011 Nighthawk. The Nighthawk is very good-looking and high quality product !!

Best wishes from Denmark

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply - I've not been able to access a computer recently. Anywho, the nighthawk 2011 is an amazing model. Probably the best guitar Gibson ever put out. It does everything the new les paul can do and more and can sound like pretty much anything with its 5- way switch and push pull knobs. That's what makes it even more versatile than the lp standard 2012. I would know because I tried both the new les paul And the gibson nighthawk 2010 standard which is pretty much the same as the 2011 save for the wood used on the guitar and the finish. As Mr Rabs said, it has push pull knobs that split the humbuckers and it has a 5 way switch so you get a huge variety of sounds. I know from personal experience (case in point) - the standard 2010's mechanics and electronics are exactly the same as the 2011.

Thing is, there were two Gibson Nighthawk standard 2010 models in the guitar shop in my area and they both had this problem that made me choose not to buy one one of them; even though I had completely fallen in love with the guitar. :( The lower E string was abnormally and way too close to edge of the neck of the guitar. So when I wanted to play a note on the string and release it, to flick it and then make the sound of the E open string it would make a noise as it was hitting the edge of the guitar. And if you look at the guitar, you can see that the Lower E string is further apart from the second string than other strings. This irritated me a lot to the point where it prevented me from buying it.

As it says on the website: "Furthermore, the Nighthawk Standard 2010's 25 1/2" scale length adds extra shimmer and sparkle to the brew, and gives you a firm low-E string for gnarly low-down blues runs and biting twang." That's what I'm talking about. My guess of what all that means is that you'll be able to raise the E string higher then normal (on a regular guitar) while playing and bending in blues music and e t c.

Is that what it means? I discussed this a lot with Stijn privately. Stijn encouraged me to go to a luthier (expert on string instruments) as they would be able to sort out the problem but the guys at the guitar shop (one of them being a guitar technician) said they (luthiers)wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Don't know about that.

In the end, the guitar shop sent the guitars back to gibson. I don't know if I'll be able to have the guitar fixed and then sent back here so I can buy it But I sure has hell hope so.

You know Rabs, it sucks that what you say is true. I really don't see the point in making guitars that will have a limited run especially when you see how populated we are and how much they are in demand. I'd love to get a Nighthawk 2011 for the same reasons I loved the standard 2010 and more. Guess I'll have to look around more in hopes, huh. I doubt anyone is selling it on E bay or anything like that. My alternative choice is to get a les paul Standard 2012 'cuz it is pretty versatile but that's not what I really want. What do you guys think I should about all of this?

Kim, congrats on your new guitar. You are very lucky :o Do you notice the same problem on your Nighthawk 2011? Please let me know. Thanx. ~S.

IMO a large % of the guitar playing/trading public are and always have been Les Paul mad...

Hence the low turnover in Gibson Nighthawks...whether they are good or not

I have too many guitars as it is :blink: otherwise I would have had a Nighthawk

I do have the Epi version...low price with tremendous VFM but not up to Gibson class

Some people are spending much 'folding' on a complete upgrade with Seymour Duncans etc

Good luck to them [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

IMO a large % of the guitar playing/trading public are and always have been Les Paul mad...

Hence the low turnover in Gibson Nighthawks...whether they are good or not

I have too many guitars as it is :blink: otherwise I would have had a Nighthawk

I do have the Epi version...low price with tremendous VFM but not up to Gibson class

Some people are spending much 'folding' on a complete upgrade with Seymour Duncans etc

Good luck to them [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I see what you mean. I'm not discounting the les pauls , in fact I think they're great but not my top choice. As a side note, Kim, where did you buy your Nighthawk 2011 from? Do you know where I can get one from? [wub]

Guys I just got a message from the music zoo shop and they told me (after I inquired about the Nighthawk 2011) that the nighthawk 2011 was a limited guitar and is sold out and currently unavailable at Gibson. **** [crying]

I also remember the guy at the guitar shop saying how they discontinued the guitar. This makes me so ******* angry. If your gonna put so much effort into a beautiful guitar that kicks hella ***, why the hell would you want to sell it in few numbers. Please update me Kim [mellow]

Guys I just got a message from the music zoo shop and they told me (after I inquired about the Nighthawk 2011) that the nighthawk 2011 was a limited guitar and is sold out and currently unavailable at Gibson. **** [crying]

I also remember the guy at the guitar shop saying how they discontinued the guitar. This makes me so ******* angry. If your gonna put so much effort into a beautiful guitar that kicks hella ***, why the hell would you want to sell it in few numbers. Please update me Kim [mellow]

Yeah it sucks that you never know what numbers Gibson will produce. Theres even been cases when they said it would be a limited edition and then they decide to make aother run. I think it comes down to factors like available material and also the fact that when they put a run on they have to change all of the tools to cut them so they only make one model at a time (as far as I know)..

Dont kow if this will help :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-nighthawk-2011-electric-guitar-/h71180005001005?src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1415043147#used

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190708581879?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=gibson+2011+nighthawk&oq=gibson+2011+nighthawk&gs_l=serp.3...4037.4199.2.4447.2.2.0.0.0.0.80.154.2.2.0...0.0...1c.gc3niinCefc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3ad21623504c0747&biw=1290&bih=593

Good luck man.. As I say, its well worth taking the time to find the guitar you want.. Or it will always niggle at you and when buying something that costs this much you should be as fussy as you want and make sure its perfect (or at least has stuff you can live with rather than a dodgey neck, which is never acceptable). [thumbup]

Yeah it sucks that you never know what numbers Gibson will produce. Theres even been cases when they said it would be a limited edition and then they decide to make aother run. I think it comes down to factors like available material and also the fact that when they put a run on they have to change all of the tools to cut them so they only make one model at a time (as far as I know)..

Dont kow if this will help :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-limited-run-nighthawk-2011-electric-guitar-/h71180005001005?src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=1415043147#used

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190708581879?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=gibson+2011+nighthawk&oq=gibson+2011+nighthawk&gs_l=serp.3...4037.4199.2.4447.2.2.0.0.0.0.80.154.2.2.0...0.0...1c.gc3niinCefc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3ad21623504c0747&biw=1290&bih=593

Good luck man.. As I say, its well worth taking the time to find the guitar you want.. Or it will always niggle at you and when buying something that costs this much you should be as fussy as you want and make sure its perfect (or at least has stuff you can live with rather than a dodgey neck, which is never acceptable). [thumbup]

Thanx for taking the time out to research that stuff for me. Lately I thought you wouldn't be able to find 'em. Your a kick *** guy Mr Rabs [biggrin][thumbup] I'm off to start another thread, c ya [wub]

• 9 months later...

Archived