Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Heads on Wilshire Worn

uburoibob

I've got the same guitar and I think the tuners are just generic. I bought some replacement oval buttons from a UK company called Axetec but they were a little too large for the spindle (spindle - is that the right word?) and there was too much play. They do a perfect replacement tuner with either oval or kidney bean (Grover style) buttons though. One thing to note. The hardware on my (and I presume all) Wilshires' is nickel and these tuners are chrome. They really did stand out so I returned them and stuck with the originals, which work fine anyhow. Ovals would look better (for me) but I haven't been able to find any nickel ones yet. The next time I change the strings on my guitars I'm going to see if the Kluson's from my Telecaster will fit. The distance between centres of the E - E string posts seems the same at 119mm but they would need reducer bushes to take the holes down from 10mm to 8.6mm.

Here's a link to the Axetec heads anyhow http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_037.htm

I've got the same guitar and I think the tuners are just generic. I bought some replacement oval buttons from a UK company called Axetec but they were a little too large for the spindle (spindle - is that the right word?) and there was too much play. They do a perfect replacement tuner with either oval or kidney bean (Grover style) buttons though. One thing to note. The hardware on my (and I presume all) Wilshires' is nickel and these tuners are chrome. They really did stand out so I returned them and stuck with the originals, which work fine anyhow. Ovals would look better (for me) but I haven't been able to find any nickel ones yet. The next time I change the strings on my guitars I'm going to see if the Kluson's from my Telecaster will fit. The distance between centres of the E - E string posts seems the same at 119mm

Here's a link to the Axetec heads anyhow http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_037.htm

Thanks, Jonny. Surprisingly, I think the tuners themselves are pretty good. I'd just like slightly smaller buttons (and ivoroid ones, if possible). I'll let you know if I find any.

Bob

Archived