Gibson Brands Forums

Greetings and a querie

Izzy

I've been gone for a long time so first of all hello to those who remember me, if you don't that's cool, nice to meet you.

I come to you all for a bit of advise regarding the sale of a item in my collection for which I have no idea how much to ask for.

This is a GFV half black half white Rudolf Schenker

Vandme.jpg

I DID check ebay but no luck finding one.

I'm taking it to Fullers (a local vintaeg guitar shop) to see what they offer as a starting point, but I'd like your imput because you're all so awesome at apraising Gibsons.

So, how much should I ask for?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/izabellizima/newVsig.jpg

In case you're wondering why I'd sell such a fine thing...it never felt that good to play. It sounds amazing but I prefer my LP and my SG on sound and feel. She just sists in the closet all alone, it is depressing. She deserves better...

You might just as well go with the Fuller's appraisal price and add more or less 20%, as that's what they'll mark it up. There's probably more eye traffic on Ebay than foot traffic at the store, even if it is in a large metro area.

In the world of electric guitars, I'm so dumb I have to look up Rudolf Schenker. I just thought you mispelled the sitar player's name, but gave myself a chuckle picturing him holding your FV. Good luck.

Hey Izzy sorry I can't help you on the value of that one there one of the rare signature models out there released in 93 if I remember and released to the japan market primarily. They all came signed and Ive only seen a couple of them for sale over the years one was on E-bay and it sold for something like $1600 which surprised me really as I thought it was low the other was at a guitar show and they wanted like 3300 for it but it never sold, I saw it at the same dealers table for at least a few years but I haven't even seen one in the last 5 years or so. A cool guitar but not many people even know who Rudolph Schenker is even if they do remember the Scorpions. Good luck and hope it brings some nice coin it's a cool looking guitar.

Welcome back- I think I remember you, but I could be wrong. You would think with so few chicks on this forum I would remember, but then again I hardly ever realize when it is.

On the subject of THIS guitar, that's going to be a tough one to answer. For one, Flying V's are relatively cheap right now, the USA model with a retail of only about 1800 bucks, AND a faded available for much less. They aren't "Custom shop", but being able to buy NEW for around 700-1100 bucks certainly has an impact.

What makes it really hard to determine a value is that there are so few of these made (103...is that right?) that establishing a going price is problably not possible using actual sales. There problably aren't that many "Custom shop" V's to establish a reliable price, and that leaves the "standard" models as the closest comparism to judge based on what they would sell for, or what someone would have to pay to get a good V.

I am usually outspoken about the rediculas prices of "collectable" Gibsons and so-called "investment" guitars, and I am usually quick to point out that the market has tanked on such things, meaning that hoping for prices to increase is something that I think has proven won't happen. But in this case, I would tend to think if you can't get a good price, you might hang onto it.

For one, Gibson Custom ANYTHING should run at least 3k, and I don't think you could get that for this right now. And when it comes to rarity and distinction, The Schenker Bros are some of the origonal V players who brought popularity to the type. And while there are other makers making this distinctive color, Rudy's ORIGONAL V in this color was a Gibson, the origonal V in any type was a Gibson, and this makes this guitar truly origonal in that sense. There really SHOULDN'T be any Rudy Schenker models that should be valued higher, except one he owned himself. This guitar has everything that would put it at the top of the market...only problem is there IS no market at the moment.

Besides, there are few things cooler than a chick with a random Rudy Schenker V in the closet. You might approach that level with, say, a large Caddilac with a guitar and amp in the trunk, some wingtip shoes, Stetson...etc. That would cost 4 grand easy.

Welcome back Izzy...

Still in the "new" house?

As for the guitar...

I think Retro and Stein's comments kinda nail it. If you wanted to put it on ebay and put a reserve on it, it'd cost a cupla bucks, but might be one way to go.

If, for example, I wanted to put my 1970s Guild S110c up for sale right now I don't think it'd bring $1,000. Likely $4-500 in trade if that. I'd smash it rather than sell it even if I were starving, I think, but the dollar concepts are probably fairly accurate.

Some might suggest my Guild would be "worth" $1,500-$2,000, and I've seen such price tags in the past. I doubt I'd get the cash unless there were a buyer with cash and a great desire for the specific instrument. Given the way auctions work, I doubt it would get to those higher numbers.

Given how both Gibson and Fender seem to be emphasizing lower-end guitars at this point... I'm not sure it's all that good a market right now.

Odd as this sounds, I'd also consider holding back on almost anything, unless you really need the cash, until after the election cycle this year. We can argue political "sides," but the fact is that a lotta people tend not to make fairly major purchase decisions from their own perspective in an election cycle. About 30 percent think the economy will be better only if one side wins and 30 percent think it will improve only if the other side is elected. That means 60 percent right now aren't sure where they think they'll be come January of 2012 - and they may be reluctant to buy.

m

Thank you all for your input. I think the, "there is little market so despite its awesomeness it won't fetch a fair cash trade," nails it. I'd trade for a 70s strat (don't hurt me, Gibsonites), but what Strat lover would ever go for a V of metalic proportions?

milod and pippy! LPman! *waves in excitement

Going to Fullers for a baseline...I feel SO guilty selling it, you've no idea.

I'm a huge Scorpions fan, as well as the Schenker bros, but there probably isn't a big market for a guitar with his name on it. If Michael signed it/played it, it would be worth more I'm sure.

But this isn't Billy Gibbons or Clapton we're talkin' bout', we're talkin' Flying V heroes that don't get as much attention in the guitar world. This is true for a lot of my favorite players. I'm sure Brian Robertson's old black Custom wouldn't bring the most attention. Or one of Alex Lifeson's old 335/345s.

If it doesn't go anywhere, sell it to someone who would really want it.

Hi Izzy,welcome back.According to the folks at Vintage Guitar Magazine,your Rudolph Schenker Flying V is one of only 103 made in 1993.The current value of Schenker Flying Vs is between $2,200 and $2,600 but no doubt with such a relatively low production number it is pretty well a given that the value will appreciate over time.I hope that this is of some help-Cheers.

Hi Izzy,welcome back.According to the folks at Vintage Guitar Magazine,your Rudolph Schenker Flying V is one of only 103 made in 1993.The current value of Schenker Flying Vs is between $2,200 and $2,600 but no doubt with such a relatively low production number it is pretty well a given that the value will appreciate over time.I hope that this is of some help-Cheers.

Gibson should be making Rudolf, Michael Schenker, and Matthias Jabs signature Vs and Explorers.....

Sure, they made a limited run of Rudy Vs in 93', and they did the Explorer 90 model with Matthias in the late 80s, but why no Michael Schenker!

Those guys (Especially Michael!) probably sold more Vs and Explorers than a lot of others. At least in their day.

I've loved Scorpions since the first time that I heard them,In Trance is still my favourite Scorpions album,I don't know if it's been released in CD format or MP-3 yet but it sure sounds just as great on vinyl after all these years.

I'm a huge Scorpions fan, as well as the Schenker bros, but there probably isn't a big market for a guitar with his name on it.

If it doesn't go anywhere, sell it to someone who would really want it.

Ideally, I'd sell it to someone like you or bonzoboy, in person, with a handshake and with the confidence that it will be cherished by a true fan. Thanks bonzboy for looking into it on the vintage mag. I will keep those numbers in mind when I go to the shops.

Welcome back Iz. Hope all is well.

Your guitar is a beauty for sure but a guitar store will never give you near what it's worth although they might give you an honest opinion as far as value.

Ebay can be a pain when trying to sell anything but it does give you a bigger market to sell it in and you can put a reserve on it. I've found it the easiest way to sell more expensive guitars. The downside is all the fees they now charge.

Here's hoping you get every penny you can out of her.

I've loved Scorpions since the first time that I heard them,In Trance is still my favourite Scorpions album,I don't know if it's been released in CD format or MP-3 yet but it sure sounds just as great on vinyl after all these years.

What's amazing to me is that they were awesome with Uli Jon Roth, with Michael Schenker, and then in the Scorpions most people know with Matthias Jabs. I like all those eras.

My favorites are Virgin Killer, Animal Magnetism, and Blackout.

Archived