Gibson Brands Forums

1965 ES-345 Lefty to Righty Advice

Thespacepilot

KGrHqNHJCcE7yJ0uMBPEezuNUWg60_57.jpg

KGrHqZHJBE7tNJliBPEezoeu1Q60_3.jpg

20120206_192520.jpg

This is my baby with pyramid flatwounds. My Gibson 1965 ES-345TDC, couldn't resist to not buying her, unfortunately I am a lefty ](*,) .

It is uncomfy to play and I want better access to my knobs to control my tone. I hate coming home from a gig and seeing the knobs tatted on my arm lol. Painful to play [mellow]

I'm going to switch EVERYTHING to the other side; the knobs and switches to accommodate me. Get a custom lefty 345 pick guard, I already have new lefty nut on her. I know it'll leave holes but I will add wooden dowels and paint them red I guess. As to devaluing a vintage guitar; well I don't mind, safe to say it's mine and my #1. But I can either sell it and buy a new lefty Gibson, then again nothing beats a nice 60's vintage guitar!

I contacted guitar center (I live in a small town, not many experienced) and the "sex change" will cost me $250

What do you guys think [confused] , I wouldn't want another guitar as vintage lefty's don't come cheap. Even if I had the extra 15k, I wouldn't pay that ridiculous amount for a guitar....

What do you guys think

Well, since you're asking, I think you should sell or trade this guitar, and get a nice left-handed instrument that's less expensive. Maybe even a vintage reissue 345, if you can find one. With the money left over, you could get a nice amp, or whatever.

Just my opinion. I love vintage guitars, and hate to see them messed with.

KGrHqNHJCcE7yJ0uMBPEezuNUWg60_57.jpg

KGrHqZHJBE7tNJliBPEezoeu1Q60_3.jpg

20120206_192520.jpg

This is my baby with pyramid flatwounds. My Gibson 1965 ES-345TDC, couldn't resist to not buying her, unfortunately I am a lefty ](*,) .

It is uncomfy to play and I want better access to my knobs to control my tone. I hate coming home from a gig and seeing the knobs tatted on my arm lol. Painful to play [mellow]

I'm going to switch EVERYTHING to the other side; the knobs and switches to accommodate me. Get a custom lefty 345 pick guard, I already have new lefty nut on her. I know it'll leave holes but I will add wooden dowels and paint them red I guess. As to devaluing a vintage guitar; well I don't mind, safe to say it's mine and my #1. But I can either sell it and buy a new lefty Gibson, then again nothing beats a nice 60's vintage guitar!

I contacted guitar center (I live in a small town, not many experienced) and the "sex change" will cost me $250

What do you guys think [confused] , I wouldn't want another guitar as vintage lefty's don't come cheap. Even if I had the extra 15k, I wouldn't pay that ridiculous amount for a guitar....

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo

Just kidding man. It is your guitar and I fully support your doing with it as you please. Here is my take on it though. I'm not sure how many 1965 345s were ever made but it is certainly a limited number. If you did this then there would be one less fully (or mostly) original 345. I think that you should sell it and find a sweet lefty vintage Gibson.

My experience with this kind of work is that it never comes out as good as you hoped. Especially if you take it to Guitar Center. Just my 2 cents though, again I am in support of doing with your guitar as you please.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lefty-1960-Gibson-ES-345-Cherry-/270828384548?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0ea13124#ht_500wt_1182 [scared]

hahah if only...

Nothing beats a good vintage guitar. I'd really hate to get a new Gibson, but if I'm going to drill into mine I'll put in more time thinking about it.

ES-330_68_0294.jpg

This is a good example. I would fill the holes left over with dowels, and paint them as close as I can to the original finish.

es2.jpg

This guitar still has the holes exposed

If you owned a 65 corvette and moved to england. Would you have the steering wheel put on the other side?

You would just drive it the way it was or buy a right hand drive car.

Give your head a shake and buy a left handed guitar. Those pictures of butchered guitars make many want to cry.

My two bits.

It's really hard to say what the as-is value of your guitar is, but once the lefty conversion is done--even if it is done well--the value is probably cut in half, unless is is superbly done. And you aren't going to get a superb job for $250.

Unfortunately, original lefty's from the early/mid 60's are pretty rare, which is probably why that 1960 went so high. 345's (and 355's)usually fetch less than 335's of the same vintage

BAD idea:

1) there aren't a lot made, so while it IS your guitar, you destroy a piece of history.

2) The guitar shouldn't be viewed as "perfect in every way except for_____" as though altering will make it so. Any time you undertake such a major mod, chances are you WILL alter the sound. Whatever it is now, you can gaureentee it won't be that when you are done, for better or worse.

3) Bad move financially. You might think you can't afford a lefty from 1965, but if you own this guitar, you can certainly buy at least two of modern vintage. You might even be able to have one built to spec. Butchering this one would DEVALUE it more than the cost of what you actually want.

It really is a backward move no matter which way you want to look at it.

Gosh I contacted the Gibson factory yesterday and they even said it was a bad idea; they didn't even give me an estimate! [huh]

Looks like I'm gonna have to sell her :( ... anyone interested or want to trade?

Thank GAWD!!! There is still some sanity in this world.....PLEASE heed all the 'voices' and do not butcher that guitar [-o<

If I had a lefty, I would offer to trade. However, being right-handed, I only buy right-handed guitars. I had a '67 355 at one time. Sold it as the neck was too thin for comfort. I expect that your '65 is similiar. I won,t buy anything right now (unless its a steal) because of the Obama Economy and will refrain from spending anything until after the election.....Jes Sayin' [-o<

• 3 weeks later...

My es 345 is like the Walnut one pictured, only right handed. As tempting as it must be to have your conversion, I would do as others have suggested. Get a nice left handed es, and let this fabulous one ride with all its history, glory and beauty just as she is. Sorry I have to add, I cringe just hearing the drill crackling the top, perforating a work of art.

Archived