Gibson Brands Forums

Lets get blue (how blue can you get?)

Rabs

So, like quite afew people on here.. I love me some Blues... post some of your fav Blues tunes and artist

Im starting with whats really modern Blues... Im also a huge fan of the Southern Delta stuff so am hoping to see lots of different types of Blues from Robert Johnson to Joe B [thumbup]

First we have the ever great BB King...

Then one of my fave Jimi blues tunes (I like the way he turns up to 11 before he starts ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weBioUKEnGc

A lot of what I'm seeing listed here would be a bit of a stretch to call blues.My type of blues is the low-down-raunchy-from-the-depths of your soul blues such as Muddy Water's Hard Again album that he did with Johnny Winter,Pinetop Perkins et al.His version of Mannish Boy on that is probably the most emotionally charged version of the song that I ever heard.Howlin Wolf's London Sessions with Keith Richards,Charlie Watts, Hubert Sumlin and a star studded cast is also a source of raw unadulterated blues.Sonny Boy Williamson,Lightnin' Hopkins,Memphis Slim,Clarence"Gatemouth" Brown,Albert King are all well worth looking into.

Too many young people are getting into what they've been told is the blues without knowing the roots of the blues that go back to Son House, Leadbelly,Blind Lemon Jefferson and so on right back to the cotton fields in the southern states and the spirituals sung by the slaves which eventually evolved into the blues along with folk and work songs from that time.

A lot of what I'm seeing listed here would be a bit of a stretch to call blues.My type of blues is the low-down-raunchy-from-the-depths of your soul blues such as Muddy Water's Hard Again album that he did with Johnny Winter,Pinetop Perkins et al.His version of Mannish Boy on that is probably the most emotionally charged version of the song that I ever heard.Howlin Wolf's London Sessions with Keith Richards,Charlie Watts, Hubert Sumlin and a star studded cast is also a source of raw unadulterated blues.Sonny Boy Williamson,Lightnin' Hopkins,Memphis Slim,Clarence"Gatemouth" Brown,Albert King are all well worth looking into.

Too many young people are getting into what they've been told is the blues without knowing the roots of the blues that go back to Son House, Leadbelly,Blind Lemon Jefferson and so on right back to the cotton fields in the southern states and the spirituals sung by the slaves which eventually evolved into the blues along with folk and work songs from that time.

Yeah ive heard alot of that stuff and love that too.. But it doesnt take away the modern stuff I like..

I think im one of the few who really like that hyper blues type sound like Jeff Healey and Gary Moore but I like that too :)

Its all good..

And id rather this not be a discussion so much about what blues is.. It means something different to all of us (as does all music).. I just want us to share what we like and maybe learn something new [thumbup]

I see where you're coming from Rabs.I just feel that people would probably appreciate what they're listening to even more if they knew the roots of it and the evolution of the genre.Kids often hear a great lick from Joe Bonamassa etc. and say that he's great for creating that riff,not realizing that it had probably been originally done by Ike Turner in the early 50s.I thought that a lot of Jimi's riffs came from his brilliant mind until a real blues fiend friend of mine played me some Albert King one night.The riffs sounded much like what I'd heard Jimi do but Jimi of course but his own little spin on it but some guys lift the exact riffs right off the records.So it really helps broaden ones musical knowledge to know where it's all rooted.

Skip James may have more of a " folkie " flavor to him but still classed in the blues genre...Blind Willies music is more gospel and blues traditions but still blues non the less, There are all kinds of blues, Country Gospel, missisippi delta, Chicago...etc etc..and I am definatly not that young...lol

Uh Oh! Hurricane and Lighting!

{Edit} This is the stiffest you'll ever see SRV play. I love it cause it shows how inadequate he feels in the presence of his Idol. The trade off at around 3:35 is great. It's like Albert says, "Let me play everything you stole from me, and let's see what you got left." But he's not mean about it.

Uh Oh! Hurricane and Lighting!

{Edit} This is the stiffest you'll ever see SRV play. I love it cause it shows how inadequate he feels in the presence of his Idol. The trade off at around 3:35 is great. It's like Albert says, "Let me play everything you stole from me, and let's see what you got left." But he's not mean about it.

That was awesome.. Thanks for posting.. Not seen that one [thumbup]

All good stuff... Cheers guys :)

And heres some of that like hyper blues I like :)

Excellent choices. Jeff Healey was an awesome guitarist, despite being blind and playing the guitar in that lap position.

That particular GM song is the one I perform at open jams sometimes. Love it!

Excellent choices. Jeff Healey was an awesome guitarist, despite being blind and playing the guitar in that lap position.

That particular GM song is the one I perform at open jams sometimes. Love it!

I know... Jeff was amazing. and anyone who thinks he was a one trick pony .. check this (playing trumpet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYJQXQ25vVA

Archived