Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson Homecoming

guitarstrummer

It used to belong to Cameleye. I bought it from him through the board. I think that was on the old board. It's an 05 Elite. I am not certain why it is elite though it has some nice shell on it. Fretboard is rosewood. Some of the elites had ebony. It's kind of a badass guitar. I have John Pearce PB Mediums on it. I did not record it well just then. Still working on a level problem between two devices.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beat! Just returned from what I think was our longest open mic yet. Lots of great music and also tons of great guitars. Jeremy, Don, and Val from Gibson were all there as well as Ren.

Another full day scheduled for tomorrow with Gibson Day at Music Villa.

Dan, the deal was that I'd let eveyone play my guitar if you'd let everyone wear your hat. I held up my end of the bargain.

It's been a real pleasure to meet you!

Here's your Stetson pic JT. You do look a little roady weary in this picture. Its the altitude. [biggrin]BZ11_zps1413d423.jpg Ren let me play one of his J-200s in the song circle tonight - nice guitar. Never had a shine to J-200s before, but this one was exceptional, of course it was picked out of a crowd by a master. [thumbup] The factory tour was uber cool - really have a deeper appreciation for the human involvement and handiwork in every step of the build. When people say "hand-made" they aren't kiddin'. This was amazing. =D>=D>=D>

One other bit of Homecoming news: Robert Plant and Patty Griffin have been following us around most of the day. They showed up at the Gibson plant a bit after we left, and then showed up at Ted's for lunch a bit after we left. But we seem to have managed to give them the slip.

-- Bob R

Having great fun here at Homecoming in Bozeman. Well, one complaint: it is getting a little annoying watching stars like Robert Plant and Patty Griffin follow Bob R around like groupies. But, then, maybe that's just envy speaking.

Last night's open mic was just fantastic. we got fabulous performances from everyone in attendance and then jammed into the wee hours. I decided to leave the jam session a bit earlier than some, because, as Dan noted, I needed some beauty rest.

One of yesterday's clear highlights was meeting and spending tiem with Valerie ("Val") Bolitho, a modern day Kalamazoo Gal who bilds fantastic creations in Gibson's custom shop. Late last evening she let me spend some quality time with her "wolf" guitar, here own creation that fetures dual, wolf paw print soundholes.

JT, you wear that hat well and don't let anyone tell you differently!

Just a couple more thoughts about the Open Mic last night. Dan did a great job at hosting and there were really some good performances again this year, including a special, repeat performance of "Ghost Chickens In The Sky" by Rar and Amp. Yep, a true sign of a really fun time is when the entire group is singing chicken clucking sounds.

I was a mere mortal in the company of all the stars. My first task was to follow the master guitarist, JT, which really did demonstrate the differences in the playing abilities present at the Open Mic. You would have thought that I learned a lesson but NOOOOOOOO. I later had to follow Jeremy Morton. Next time I'm going to first go out into the motel and find the first person that admits to not being able to play guitar, drag them into the open mic and make them play something. Then, I'll take my turn.

Jerry, you were missed this year. Several people asked about you. Thanks for submitting the video. It was the next best thing to seeing you in Bozeman.

Looks like the weather has finally started to clear up and the sun may actually show itself today.

Now, off for another full day with Gibson Day at Music Villa.

Looks like the weather has finally started to clear up and the sun may actually show itself today.

Now, off for another full day with Gibson Day at Music Villa.

Sounds like yall are having a great time (again)!

Too bad about those Professional Musicians following you around like some groupies....

We'll need a detailed report of who bought what at MV this year, or did Bob scoop all the good stuff again by arriving a week early?? We need more PHOTOS!!! [biggrin]

Fred

The guy is Mike Moss. Mike was one of the very early guitar builders and he was working in the body build dept of the plant. Mike left Gibson and went to work for Dana Bourgeois. He moved back to Bozeman and I haven't seen him for several years so he might have moved again.

Hogeye ,

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your response very much.

I am one of "those people" that is interested in the Guitar stories that go with some of the guitars I am now fortunate to own.

The signature does look Like Mike MO"O" ..? but, then it was signed on to a piece of wood. I guess the 3rd letter must be an "s".

Thanks again .

To the attendees at the Homecoming,

Please be aware , that I was thinking that this would be an excellent opportunity to hopefully find out who this Gibson employee from 20 years ago may have been. It was not intended to interupt the thread.

I hope you have a great time up there , many of us not there, are envious, And ...please keep the reports coming on the activities .

You are doing a fine job.

Wishing I was there ,

Billy

So what's on offer at Music Villa this year? I've seen some pretty spectacular stuff there. There was a J-185 12-string one year that I kind of wish I had bought. A couple of great J-200's, one a 12-fret. One time Paul pulled out a prewar 12 fret triple-oh Martin from somewhere which was one of the better instruments I've ever played. There was that Legend L-00 I shoulda bought... There was a really beat up 50's J-45, total tone monster, shoulda...

So what's on offer at Music Villa this year? I've seen some pretty spectacular stuff there. There was a J-185 12-string one year that I kind of wish I had bought. A couple of great J-200's, one a 12-fret. One time Paul pulled out a prewar 12 fret triple-oh Martin from somewhere which was one of the better instruments I've ever played. There was that Legend L-00 I shoulda bought... There was a really beat up 50's J-45, total tone monster, shoulda...

Jerry,

I'm sorry that you missed ths year's Music Villa offer. I announced the offer myself today and I'm pretty sure that Paul and the gang were happy with it: today only anyone who bought a copy of Kalamazoo Gals got to pick out a free guitar. :)

Jerry,

I'm sorry that you missed ths year's Music Villa offer. I announced the offer myself today and I'm pretty sure that Paul and the gang were happy with it: today only anyone who bought a copy of Kalamazoo Gals got to pick out a free guitar. :)

Aw heck, always a day late and a dollar short! [biggrin]

I imagine most folks are on the road by now, heading back home. I'm stuck somewhere near West Undershirt Wyoming for the night, broke out the newly acquired Martin 1937 D-18A to compete with the whistling wind (it was one of the free ones that came with a purchase of Johns book, all I had to do was pay a rather large handiling fee). Had an absolutely stellar time in Bozeman. This internet thing sure is a powerful community building force. Never had met anybody before this week, and holy-moly it feels like family already. I am just blown away impressed. By my count I think there were at least 6 new guitars that found new homes. 2 Martins and 4 Gibsons that I know of. For you fly-fishers out there, this is by the Big Horn River today, didn't have room for a flyrod this trip, but now that I now how close this road is to some of the best heralded western rivers, I'll be sure to toss one in next year.

a78225f0-110e-4e8b-8d38-1a2e0abc30a0_zpsd3ca0cb3.jpg

Dan, that is a great shot. Looks like the weather got nice. Where is John Wayne and his Winchester [biggrin] How long did it take to drive there from CO? Enjoy that Martin, i have played a few of them, and all are stellar boxes. [thumbup] Nice door prize, did you get it while in town?

I imagine most folks are on the road by now, heading back home. I'm stuck somewhere near West Undershirt Wyoming for the night, broke out the newly acquired Martin 1937 D-18A to compete with the whistling wind (it was one of the free ones that came with a purchase of Johns book, all I had to do was pay a rather large handiling fee). Had an absolutely stellar time in Bozeman. This internet thing sure is a powerful community building force. Never had met anybody before this week, and holy-moly it feels like family already. I am just blown away impressed. By my count I think there were at least 6 new guitars that found new homes. 2 Martins and 4 Gibsons that I know of. For you fly-fishers out there, this is by the Big Horn River today, didn't have room for a flyrod this trip, but now that I now how close this road is to some of the best heralded western rivers, I'll be sure to toss one in next year.

a78225f0-110e-4e8b-8d38-1a2e0abc30a0_zpsd3ca0cb3.jpg

A great pic, Dan. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'd intended to walk off with that hat during the final jam session but you retired a bit earlier than I and I missed my chance. Next year!

Made it home yesterday afternoon and I'm sure it will take me about two weeks to fully recover from another great Gibson Homecoming. Someone mentioned that it felt like everyone was a part of a family and I agree. I liked seeing all my old friends and making many new ones.

Thanks again to Gibson Acoustic and Music Villa for everything that they did to make the Homecoming a success. Also, thanks to everyone who attended and to everyone who coordinated our various committees needed to make the Homecoming happen.

Congrats to everyone who won free guitars after buying JT's book. What a great, one time deal that was!

A great pic, Dan. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'd intended to walk off with that hat during the final jam session but you retired a bit earlier than I and I missed my chance. Next year!

"Don't Touch My Hat". A Lyle Lovett classic you should give a listen to before next year!

Gibson Homecoming was fabulous. As my new pal Dan the (Duluth) Man noted in his post, the Internet is a strange and wonderful vehicle for building community. Modern technology and a love of great guitars are a powerful combination.

I had a lovely time in Bozeman and want to thank all of my new friends for welcoming me into the family, Gibson for supporting the event, Paul and everyone at Music Villa for hosting my talk, and, most importantly, Mike for all of the hard work and dedication he put into sharing something that he loves.

Here are a few memories:

At the Kalamazoo Gals display at Music Villa:

AD27C164-DA65-463C-B49E-AA17ACEDFB1A-2631-0000030B709C1C2A_zpsc0be50ed.jpg

Dan with his SJ:

B78B5D2C-F1C6-41BF-BAB6-AD36F7A073C0-2631-0000030B438A3DB8_zps02ccbacb.jpg

With Val and her "Wolf Guitar":

6B0D7954-7824-4DB8-8D15-D9E6F3E3A149-2631-0000030B987E81AC_zpsfefc2e37.jpg

John, Jeremy, and Criss with my "Over There" SJ:

354F2518-CB07-4F14-ACFD-ACDF66FD79CC-2631-0000030C708430B4_zps2d86442f.jpg

33786AF2-75F8-4D45-A623-6C780155F824-2631-0000030C5C3559E0_zps005e468e.jpg

9F1F84D5-5740-4A4B-86AD-E75F92AC54D4-2631-0000030BF2F0C680_zps9794948c.jpg

Hanging with Dan:

DDF2A8E7-0732-4F01-A43D-F0360FE5E6F6-2631-0000030C9E902007_zps0279ba41.jpg

The last jam session:

3B2FE952-ABD0-4F2C-99F5-97608BF17EB4-2631-0000030D36856C42_zps8cfb7889.jpg

And, last but not least, the t-shirt that I picked up at a downtown Bozman record shop (yep, record shop) to remind me of my first Homecoming:

7071102A-F674-4757-9E5B-52D7F2FF14FD-2631-0000030BB31ABD27_zps1d5d589f.jpg

Here are a few memories:

And, last but not least, the t-shirt that I picked up at a downtown Bozman record shop (yep, record shop) to remind me of my first Homecoming:

7071102A-F674-4757-9E5B-52D7F2FF14FD-2631-0000030BB31ABD27_zps1d5d589f.jpg

That sounds like the title of a song from Sweetheart of the Rodeo, 2013 version.

can anyone comment on the new 1942 J 45's ?

The first one was quickly snapped up by GT Hurley - Cowboy recording artist. It sounded and played as great as a new J-45 could. Did not get to test it out against RARs legendary J-45 Banner - but heard it, and gotta say that the real deal is pretty hard to beat. Lets cross our fingers and hope that they go into production on the rest of the JT list !

JC

JC, like Dan, I got a quick peak at the guitar and then GT Hurley grabbed it and ran. I played it for about 2 minutes and liked what I heard and saw but really didn't get a good look/listen.

This Thursday I'll return to Bozeman to chat with the Gibson folks about the project. Stay tuned.

I got a chance to play G.T.'s for awhile Saturday night, and compare it to a Legend (only one of the two that were at the Homecoming, unfortunately). The differences in the specs are relatively minor, the only obvious one being that the neck, while still very beefy, is a little less so than the Legend neck. Much bigger than the TV neck. There are a few possibly important differences in the construction. First, the new '42 J-45 has hide-glued neck joint (of course) and top bracing, but Tightbond is used for everything else. Second, the braces are relatively smooth, like other regular production-line models, compared to the rough braces on the Legend (and actual banner J-45s). Ren, John Greven, and others think that rough braces are essential to classic Gibson vintage tone. (And Ren even has what sounds like a reasonably explanation of why in terms of laminar flow over the braces. He ran it by a physics Ph.D. who did his dissertation on laminar flow and now works for Fender who thought it sounded plausible.) Third, it come equipped the Golden Age repro Kluson tuners rather than Antique Acoustics' much more accurate repro Klusons. The price for the prototype seemed about right -- more than a TV, but not that much more -- but then the same was true for the prototype and trial production run Legends. (In fact, I think the price G.T. paid was just about the same as I paid for my trial run Legend.)

Comparing a brand new guitar to one that's had over five years of playing-in is unfair, so I'll just say that this example of the new model was a fine guitar that definitely came closer to capturing the tone of the original that it was modeled on than a J-45 TV. No big surprise there! Given that result, I didn't bother A/B-ing against my '43 "Best Ever" J-45.

If you're interested in that comparison, you might also be interested in my comparison of the prototype repro of a "1934" Jumbo that belongs to Gary Burnette to my recently acquired 1935 Jumbo. (I put quotes around the date of Gary's since it has a bound neck, so "conventional wisdom" would suggest that it's a '35 or '36. However, I don't know what evidence Gary might have for his dating, and this is Gibson we're talking about.) I didn't get to do a head-to-head comparison -- it was also just finished, and its proud new owner didn't want it shown up -- but I can say it comes closer to capturing vintage Jumbo tone (as represented by my '35) than any of the handful of OJs I've played. As a bonus, the bursts on the rims and back were absolutely spot-on. Another very nice guitar that seemed pretty sensibly priced -- significantly more than one of the old OJs, but much less than a J-45 Legend.

And then there's the J-35 comparison. They had three of the new 2013 J-35s at Music Villa and two of us had 2011 Five-Star J-35s there for the Homecoming. I know the new J-35s have a lot of fans, and there must be some great ones out there (since I trust Fred's judgement), but none of those three were anywhere close to in the same league as either of the Five-Stars, IMHO. Of course, the two guitars are really only comparable in name and appearance only, so this wasn't a big surprise.

Anyway, the most important point as far as you, amp, and your fellow lefties are concerned is that you aren't going to be able to buy any of these. The word came down from Corporate HQ in Nashville awhile ago: no custom orders, including orders for lefties other than a couple of models that are noted on the price list as being available as lefties (in strictly limited quantities). Production is being based on a quarterly plan, which requires Henry's approval, rather than dealers orders. The rule in Bozeman has always been that they'll build any model they've ever built for any dealer who cares to order one, subject to availability of materials, and customize in pretty much any way that is asked for. Now, dealers can order what's on the list, period. (Fortunately, for righties, the list will include some pretty cool limited editions.)

The good news was that the Nashville Custom Shop was subject to the same restriction for awhile, but has been allowed to return to business as usual recently. I only hope that we will be able to say the same for Bozeman sooner rather than later. amp and I lodged an official complaint with Dennis, the Bozeman GM, to pass along to Henry, and proceeded to put our money where our mouths were by coming home with a new lefty Martin HD-28MV and a new MIJ Fender VI bass after buying three Gibsons at the last Homecoming.

-- Bob R

I got a chance to play G.T.'s for awhile Saturday night, and compare it to a Legend (only one of the two that were at the Homecoming, unfortunately). The differences in the specs are relatively minor, the only obvious one being that the neck, while still very beefy, is a little less so than the Legend neck. Much bigger than the TV neck. There are a few possibly important differences in the construction. First, the new '42 J-45 has hide-glued neck joint (of course) and top bracing, but Tightbond is used for everything else. Second, the braces are relatively smooth, like other regular production-line models, compared to the rough braces on the Legend (and actual banner J-45s). Ren, John Greven, and others think that rough braces are essential to classic Gibson vintage tone. (And Ren even has what sounds like a reasonably explanation of why in terms of laminar flow over the braces. He ran it by a physics Ph.D. who did his dissertation on laminar flow and now works for Fender who thought it sounded plausible.) Third, it come equipped the Golden Age repro Kluson tuners rather than Antique Acoustics' much more accurate repro Klusons. The price for the prototype seemed about right -- more than a TV, but not that much more -- but then the same was true for the prototype and trial production run Legends. (In fact, I think the price G.T. paid was just about the same as I paid for my trial run Legend.)

Comparing a brand new guitar to one that's had over five years of playing-in is unfair, so I'll just say that this example of the new model was a fine guitar that definitely came closer to capturing the tone of the original that it was modeled on than a J-45 TV. No big surprise there! Given that result, I didn't bother A/B-ing against my '43 "Best Ever" J-45.

If you're interested in that comparison, you might also be interested in my comparison of the prototype repro of a "1934" Jumbo that belongs to Gary Burnette to my recently acquired 1935 Jumbo. (I put quotes around the date of Gary's since it has a bound neck, so "conventional wisdom" would suggest that it's a '35 or '36. However, I don't know what evidence Gary might have for his dating, and this is Gibson we're talking about.) I didn't get to do a head-to-head comparison -- it was also just finished, and its proud new owner didn't want it shown up -- but I can say it comes closer to capturing vintage Jumbo tone (as represented by my '35) than any of the handful of OJs I've played. As a bonus, the bursts on the rims and back were absolutely spot-on. Another very nice guitar that seemed pretty sensibly priced -- significantly more than one of the old OJs, but much less than a J-45 Legend.

And then there's the J-35 comparison. They had three of the new 2013 J-35s at Music Villa and two of us had 2011 Five-Star J-35s there for the Homecoming. I know the new J-35s have a lot of fans, and there must be some great ones out there (since I trust Fred's judgement), but none of those three were anywhere close to in the same league as either of the Five-Stars, IMHO. Of course, the two guitars are really only comparable in name and appearance only, so this wasn't a big surprise.

Anyway, the most important point as far as you, amp, and your fellow lefties are concerned is that you aren't going to be able to buy any of these. The word came down from Corporate HQ in Nashville awhile ago: no custom orders, including orders for lefties other than a couple of models that are noted on the price list as being available as lefties (in strictly limited quantities). Production is being based on a quarterly plan, which requires Henry's approval, rather than dealers orders. The rule in Bozeman has always been that they'll build any model they've ever built for any dealer who cares to order one, subject to availability of materials, and customize in pretty much any way that is asked for. Now, dealers can order what's on the list, period. (Fortunately, for righties, the list will include some pretty cool limited editions.)

The good news was that the Nashville Custom Shop was subject to the same restriction for awhile, but has been allowed to return to business as usual recently. I only hope that we will be able to say the same for Bozeman sooner rather than later. amp and I lodged an official complaint with Dennis, the Bozeman GM, to pass along to Henry, and proceeded to put our money where our mouths were by coming home with a new lefty Martin HD-28MV and a new MIJ Fender VI bass after buying three Gibsons at the last Homecoming.

-- Bob R

Bob I asked Jeremy for info a a possible guitar he just responded a few minutes ago and said bozeman is not taking custom orders right now but hope to be taking them by august . let's hope that's true

JC

Archived