Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap guitars that do "it".

Jinder

I had a few cheapies that I had no feelings for and sold off so I'm currently looking for a beater that I can take anywhere.

I've got my eyes locally on a Takamine 430SS NOS that has a few shop worn issues.

They have it down to $785 but their warehouse sale is coming up next month. If I can get them down to $500, it'll be my new beater.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, Maybe not cheap, cheap... But for under 1K I got an ALL SOLID wood

Takemine TF430SS with that Cool Tube-2 Pickup system... Sweet warm sound.

Dark reddish brown burst solid Cedar Top with solid Ovangkol back and sides.

Crisp full acoustic sound, and really sweet acoustic sound plugged in.

Was it like this one or an even newer model?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-aj-220s-acoustic-guitar

That's the one. Looks better in person.

Here's a video I found that Epiphone did to promote it on YouTube:

I mean, it's no Gibson, but for under $200 it would make a great first guitar or campfire guitar or something.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been by the forum much lately.

Putting my work hat on as a marketing / advertising profressional have to say this is a really good piece of promotion. Especially when they find out the price tag.

Speaking as a Gibby forum member, how the hell is it possible that these pro musos react as if they came across across a slope sholdered dreadnought for the very first time ..... c'mon ... :rolleyes:

That's the one. Looks better in person.

Here's a video I found that Epiphone did to promote it on YouTube:

I mean, it's no Gibson, but for under $200 it would make a great first guitar or campfire guitar or something.

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been by the forum much lately.

While I'm very partial to my J-60 Traditional, I recently bought a low end model Teton (dreadnought) acoustic for my girlfriend and it sounds amazing! Was right around $300 and the tone is super rich. I think it's a solid cedar top with mahogany ply sides and back. I now wish I'd picked up one of these instead of the Yamaha I bought for camping and banging around with. Thing is, she (and the guitar) are lefties so I can't play the thing... probably just as well and I think she's happy that it's ALL hers [biggrin] .The Seagull's are also great guitars but I wouldn't call them cheap per say... cheaper than most solid wood guitars and certainly a good bargain. I've been seeing a lot of great (looking anyway) solid wood acoustics from off-brands these days for pretty reasonable prices... probably made by 10 year olds but hey, 10 year olds need to keep their hands busy to stay out of trouble.

Putting my work hat on as a marketing / advertising profressional have to say this is a really good piece of promotion. Especially when they find out the price tag.

Speaking as a Gibby forum member, how the hell is it possible that these pro musos react as if they came across across a slope sholdered dreadnought for the very first time ..... c'mon ... :rolleyes:

I've got a similar background and was thinking the same thing on both accounts :)

That said, it does seem like a majority of these people in the video have more of a pop background than alt-country/folk/indie where you are more likely to see J-45s left and right. I could be wrong.

Archived