Gibson Brands Forums

Surf Music

Californiaman

The US Open of Surfing from this year.

We had a great time in Huntington Beach this year.

These photos are of 11-time champion Kelly Slater.

He's the greatest.

Although he didn't finish first this year, he did last year.

My kids got his autograph.

Here he is signing my son's shirt. My kids were stoked.

Snapshot2012-08-0714-58-23.jpg

His ritual before he enters the water.

Snapshot2012-08-0514-54-24.jpg

Shreading.

Snapshot2012-08-0715-16-04.jpg

Cool to see your idols but a surf contest needs better surf. The waves were pretty pathetic again this year. That said it looked like the crowds were pretty good and full of the little painted nearly naked teenage girls with messages painted all over there little hardbodies. I was amazed at all the anti Nike messages this year from Hurly and others. They need to change the name of this event to Skateboarders and Jail Bait or something similar until California get's some decent damn waves back. The last two trips Ive made to Cali we didn't even unload the boards, Ive seen better waves in wave tank amusement parks.

The us open of surfing with 3 foot waves [cursing]

I don't know retro, I saw some 4-5-foot waves early Friday morning and Thursday had some decent waves too.

Yeah they were small for the finals. I'll certainly agree to that.

None-the-less, it was a fantastic event.

The little hardbodies with messages of "love, hugs and kisses," cracked me up.

I met some really cool people there too.

Great event. Wish I would have been able to hear the bands but I couldn't stay there all day long.

The sound checks I heard Thursday were pretty decent though. [thumbup]

I sure didn't see any five foot waves but at least Lakey won which was kind of cool. I guess I'm spoiled with Hawaii trips every year and two year ago about this time of year I was at J-Bay and looking hard to find surf less than 20 feet so to watch all these great surfers trying to do aerials on 3-4 waves with a purse of 100k was kind of a letdown. Still amazing to see a surfing event with almost a half a million people watching. Growing up we surfed the Pismo pier everyday and if ten people watched us it was a crowd so to see the crowds now it's amazing.

Growing up we surfed the Pismo pier everyday and if ten people watched us it was a crowd so to see the crowds now it's amazing.

Retro, we were there this week. Monday I think it was.

Blown out and nothing bigger than two feet.

When was the last time you've been there? It's changed quite a bit. There's a great boardwalk now.

We were in front of the Sea Venture (I highly recommend it for lodging and food).

Did Splash Cafe for some of their award winning clam chowder and fish and chips. The wife and kids love it.

Overall it was a good way to end the last week of summer.

here's a surf tune i composed a few years back to add ambience to the thread, used a MIA Jaguar for this.

http://www.gear-review.co.uk/mp3songs/surfinv2.mp3

There's a band in LA that liked it and uses it as there theme tune !

Yeah!

What Shread said.

That was amazing. Loved it.

I can see myself listening to that again.

Great job. You really captured that surf music vibe and I dug it. [thumbup]

Archived