Gibson Brands Forums

New (to me) White SG Staining from the Case

Clump

I recently bought a used white SG Standard. It's the GC exclusive model with coil split Burst Bucker 1 at the neck and 3 at the bridge. I'm absolutely in love with this guitar. Awesome player and smokin' sound!

When the guitar arrived it had some pinkish color stains on the body in several places. I was able to get it out using some Meguiars auto products as recommended by a Luthier. It came in a Gibson hard shell case with the white fuzzy interior. There is a red tint to a lot of the interior. I believe that this case originally housed a red SG and some of the tint bled into the lining. Mine was shipped from FL to MD in July and was probably in some serious heat, which helped to transfer the red tint to the white SG.

So, I'm afraid to keep the guitar in the case. I also have another SG ('60s Tribute in worn natural) that I bought a Gibson Gear case for. The GG case has a gray interior and it looks like almost all of the after market cases are gray or black inside. Is anybody keeping a white Gibson in 1? I don't think the pink tint would even show on the worn natural, but I really don't want a gray stain on my white SG either.

Any experience with this, or an opinion from Gibson on their gray lining would be appreciated.

Here she is after being cleaned up:

IMG_4651.jpg

And after changing plastics to white:

IMG_4683.jpg

Great looking piece. I notice that you switched out the truss rod cover, perhaps a white truss rod cover with black lettering would look uniform. It looks great with all of the white extras regardless.

My 2011 SG Standard came with a white lined case, so perhaps you could buy an aftermarket Gibson case with white lining?

Good luck with your search.

Lovely guitar.

White is a cool color, but very problematic under a nitro finish. Nitro reacts with lots of things and one of them is color dyes/tints. A white guitar should come with a white lined case. Unfortunately, yours was probably used for possible a red Faded SG and the thin finish allowed the color to get into the case lining and then transferred to your white SG.

Be aware this also happens with clothes - especially moist/sweaty clothes - like blue jeans and red shirts. There's been more than a couple posts by members with a white finish that got stained red or blue from clothes after a playing session. Waxing is definitely a good idea, but I would caution against playing your white guitar with new unwashed clothes on.

So, I'm afraid to keep the guitar in the case. I also have another SG ('60s Tribute in worn natural) that I bought a Gibson Gear case for. The GG case has a gray interior and it looks like almost all of the after market cases are gray or black inside. Is anybody keeping a white Gibson in 1? I don't think the pink tint would even show on the worn natural, but I really don't want a gray stain on my white SG either.

IMG_4683.jpg

First let me say this is the only white SG i have ever found visually appealing, Kudos on the white out, looks slick.

As for the case/dye issue issue, I would swap cases, I think your White SG should be fine in the Gray lined case, Although you could run into the same issue with the finish transfer from the Natural satin too. or you could try cleaning the inside of the white case with some upholstery cleaner and see if that gets the pink hue out.

Thanks for the suggestions. A coworker suggested Scotch-Gaurding the case. I think I'll try upholstery cleaner, sit in the sun a few days, Scotch-Guard and a white sheet to try to protect it. So far it stays out because it's constantly being played. [lol]

The white TRC with black lettering would look great! Any leads on 1 would be really helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions. A coworker suggested Scotch-Gaurding the case. I think I'll try upholstery cleaner, sit in the sun a few days, Scotch-Guard and a white sheet to try to protect it. So far it stays out because it's constantly being played. [lol]

The white TRC with black lettering would look great! Any leads on 1 would be really helpful.

I ordered a custom truss rod cover from Terrapin Guitars and it was good fit. The TRC-6 is what I went with, and it comes with new hardware too. The shape of the cover is slightly different than the stock, however the drilling holes lined up perfectly. I went with a black/white/black cover with a scripted logo on it. They offer an engraved version that is matte white with black script, which would look great on yours. They go for like $25 shipped with tax if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

I would recommend RedZLine custom guitars and pickguards. Adam makes quality stuff and his prices are pretty damn good too. I've already sent him a message and I'll have a quote for you as soon as he replies.

I would recommend RedZLine custom guitars and pickguards. Adam makes quality stuff and his prices are pretty damn good too. I've already sent him a message and I'll have a quote for you as soon as he replies.

Wow, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I believe if you open up you pickguard, you might find pink hue at the inside corners of the cavities. It appears that the white nitro color reacts with something...the mahogany itself or the wood filler? I noticed the pink hue inside after three or so years.

But artic white is classy if you buy with your "eyes" instead of one's "ears"! ...LOL...I sometimes do. [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

I (finally!) got a white TRC. Had no success in getting 1 engraved, so got w/b/w 3 ply from Terrapin. Put it on took the pics and bacl to the black "SG" one. The white kinda looks out of place. It was worth a try though.

On a side note - the guitar spent a few weeks in the gray lined case with no issues.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

I like this much better

IMG_4683.jpg

Archived