Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Plustop Pro Pickups?

byrds1965

Hope someone at Epiphone can answer this for me.

Going to buy one of these in the Winered, but they are the Epiphone site and some sites as having the new Probuckers 2 and 3, but other sites as having the Alnico Classic Pros.

Can someone please confirm this guitar comes with the Probuckers stock and this is not another ES339 where the first run shipped with the Probuckers and the following runs have the Alnico Classics?

My bandmate has a first run 339 with the Probuckers and I think the Probucker is a great PU.

I have until the end of August for a coupon code at SA.

I like the pickguard on the Plustop Pro and the Probucker is a great stock PU. If specs have changed I will upgrade to the other Winered model with the real 57s and case but no pickguard, forget the model name now.

Thanks for anyone with info on this.

We are still unconfirmed with the Probucker vs. Classic Pro debate. The pickups themselves dont specify either. Its anyone's guess at this point.

I pointed out this page from Epiphone's website last week in another Probucker/Classic Pro thread , but no one responded to it. Here is a G-400 Pro (lefty) with some weird info.

http://www.epiphone....400-PRO-LH.aspx

Header - Probucker

Features - Alnico Pro Tm

Specs - Alnico Classic Pro

I've noticed that Epiphone lists some guitars as having Alnico Classic Pros in the specs and Alnico Pros in the header. I really dont know what is going on with this pickup terminology. Its quite confusing and Epiphone needs to clarify and straighten their specs out.

The alnico pro pups are overwound to give it the PAF quality which is actually the probucker instead of the alnico 2 classics with are stock on most Epi LP's or SG's

Ok, so what is the difference between a Probucker and an Alnico Classic Pro?

This is where the confusion is coming in to play. We know that the regular Classic is not the Probucker or Classic Pro.

Ok, so what is the difference between a Probucker and an Alnico Classic Pro?

This is where the confusion is coming in to play. We know that the regular Classic is not the Probucker or Classic Pro.

I had a problem with this back when my buddy got his Epiphone 339 first run in cherry with the Probuckers. It sounds great and very much like the underwound Burstbuckers in my Tweedy. A bit brighter than a 57 but full and clear.

Both of us have played the new ES339s with the Alnico Classic Pro and major difference.

The Alnico Classic Pro might be overwound but still has the V magnets and the tone I do not like.

The Probuckers have the II magnets and sound like it to me, a brighter 57.

I saw the new Les Paul Plus Top and read the specs at Epiphone then at Musicansfriend and it says Probuckers but then the other guys say Alnico Classic Pros.

Still hope someone from Epiphone can clear this up. I will buy the guitar with the Probuckers but I am not buying anymore with Alnico Classic what ever they call them when they have a great PU with the Probucker finally.

I guess Epiphone in the long run does not lose the sale as I will just buy the Tribute in Winered with the real Gibson 57s. I have a LP with 57s and did want the Probucker guitar.

Epiphone really needs to get their act together with these PUs and specs and stop all the confusion so the customer can order a guitar and know what it is they are receiving.

• 8 months later...

Epiphone really needs to get their act together with these PUs and specs and stop all the confusion so the customer can order a guitar and know what it is they are receiving.

You're right, but they could start with precise information about what pickups are in a guitar. E.g., SG (or G-400) Custom TV Pelham Blue is said to have Alnico Classics, but the specs say there are Probuckers.

the Probucker finally.

I guess Epiphone in the long run does not lose the sale as I will just buy the Tribute in Winered with the real Gibson 57s. I have a LP with 57s and did want the Probucker guitar.

I have two LP Plus Pro's, they both came with Probuckers (there's a code on the baseplates). I also have a Tribute LP which came with Gibson '57's. I think Probuckers sound better than '57's.

Epiphone's been in a transition upgrading PU's in many models, so as to be expected with any manufacturer in the same position, at times it's been a moving target. You're going by what someone at Musician's Friend says, and blaming Epiphone for misinformation? I'd say the problem is with Musician's Friend.

I have an Ultra 339 and an LP Std+ PRO, both with ProBuckers. I like the them better than the 57PAFs that came in my '99B7. Most of the time. After playing ProBuckers for a few days, the 57PAFs are almost too clean, if that makes sense.

I think Epi did a great job on the ProBuckers. I've never played Burstbuckers, so I can't say how they compare to those.

Archived