Gibson Brands Forums

1983 LP Custom - Need help identifying the color

humbird

post-46349-092464000 1345046687_thumb.jpgpost-46349-010011500 1345046698_thumb.jpgHi - I was given this 1983 Les Paul Custom as a gift. I am not sure of the color - think it might be tobacco sunburst. If anyone knows, that would be great. Also, what kind of of value does it currently have? I haven't found any information on it after researching. Thanks!

post-46349-092464000 1345046687_thumb.jpgpost-46349-010011500 1345046698_thumb.jpgHi - I was given this 1983 Les Paul Custom as a gift. I am not sure of the color - think it might be tobacco sunburst. If anyone knows, that would be great. Also, what kind of of value does it currently have? I haven't found any information on it after researching. Thanks!

Welcome Humbird! You got that right! That's a tobaccoburst LP. As far as value is concerned, check Ebay for selling prices for LP Customs of the era. Cheers...Bence

It may be, as Bence says, Tobacco Sunburst.

Then again, I suspect it might be Vintage Sunburst. The dark shading on the heel of the neck in the rear shot is Characteristic of VSB. I haven't seen a TSB with such shading. Also TSB tends to be rather more dark brown at the edges whilst VSB tends to be almost black - as yours appears to be from the pictures - but I'm no expert!

Some LPs nowadays have the finish code written/stamped in one of the pickup cavities - VSB; HCSB and so on. I don't know about the '83s. It might be worthwhile pulling the p-ups out to have a peek.

As far as value goes I agree fully with Bence. Check sales of similar guitars from the same era in your location on ebay.

P.

Welcome Humbird! You got that right! That's a tobaccoburst LP. As far as value is concerned, check Ebay for selling prices for LP Customs of the era. Cheers...Bence

Thanks for the information!

It may be, as Bence says, Tobacco Sunburst.

Then again, I suspect it might be Vintage Sunburst. The dark shading on the heel of the neck in the rear shot is Characteristic of VSB. I haven't seen a TSB with such shading. Also TSB tends to be rather more dark brown at the edges whilst VSB tends to be almost black - as yours appears to be from the pictures - but I'm no expert!

Some LPs nowadays have the finish code written/stamped in one of the pickup cavities - VSB; HCSB and so on. I don't know about the '83s. It might be worthwhile pulling the p-ups out to have a peek.

As far as value goes I agree fully with Bence. Check sales of similar guitars from the same era in your location on ebay.

P.

Thanks for the reply. In the light the shading appears more dark brown than black. Either way, it is really a beautiful instrument and I am lucky to have received it!

Archived