Gibson Brands Forums

DIY Pedal Build Sound Samples...

bluesguitar65

Those striped paintjobs remind me of the shirts Charlie Sheen wears on Two & a Half Men

Cool demo man I like the Muff. Build anything cool lately? I'm gonna make some cool stuff really soon

LOL!! I hope the didn't sound too cheesy like Charlie Sheen :) Well, the Big Muff was my latest build, and I'm about to build the Ram's Head version, but cannot decide on which Ram's head, black or violet. I can't wait see the cool stuff you will be making soon. [thumbup]

Sweet. It was nice to hear a lot of different stuff in one vid - worth the wait! [thumbup] Surprisingly I like the Orange Squeezer clone a lot. I can never get a compressor to work for me. Maybe I'll build that one.

Hey Surfpup! Thanks! Yea, that Orange Squeezer clone has mad a permanent place on my pedalboard. I actually like much better than the MXR Dyncomp I have, the script reissue. I recommend building it and I recommend using the Tantalum caps over electrolytic caps. It really warms it up really well.

Sorry for the mess up with my attempt to play STP's PLUSH at 3:30.

LOL!! I hope the didn't sound too cheesy like Charlie Sheen :) Well, the Big Muff was my latest build, and I'm about to build the Ram's Head version, but cannot decide on which Ram's head, black or violet. I can't wait see the cool stuff you will be making soon. [thumbup]

lol I think Charlie Sheen is pretty funny

Did you find the 120nF caps for the Triangle or sub in another value? What transistors did you use? Sounds really nice

I made a violet Ram's Head and it was pretty awesome. It was pretty David Gilmour-ish. I think the best versions are the Sovtek ones though. Civil war, green tall font, and the black ones are all amazing

I'm just making a triangle Muff for a friend and a modded Vox Repeat Percussion trem. My favorite build I've done recently though is a Maxon OD808 clone. So amazing!

lol I think Charlie Sheen is pretty funny

Did you find the 120nF caps for the Triangle or sub in another value? What transistors did you use? Sounds really nice

I made a violet Ram's Head and it was pretty awesome. It was pretty David Gilmour-ish. I think the best versions are the Sovtek ones though. Civil war, green tall font, and the black ones are all amazing

I'm just making a triangle Muff for a friend and a modded Vox Repeat Percussion trem. My favorite build I've done recently though is a Maxon OD808 clone. So amazing!

No...I didn't use any 120nf caps. I used 100nf, I'm guessing GGG subbed 100nf for the 120nf. As for the transistors, I used 2N5088 instead of the 2N5089 that came with the kit. I use to have the early production Green Sovtek back in the 90s....man I regret selling it. What were the difference in tone between the black Ram's head and Violet Ram's head?

Yeah mammoth and smallbear don't stock 120nF caps so I think I'm gonna wire a 100nF and 22nF in parallel on mine to get it closer to the original. There's also a 4nF in the original so I'm gonna use a 3nF and 1nF for that. It's gonna be annoying to do but should have a pretty sweet low end (it's for a bassist)

I ordered 2N5089s for mine, but I use sockets for the transistors so I'll try some different ones. Those 2N5088s sound nice in yours.

The difference between the two is probably really subtle and mostly just the color of the ink on the box :P. EHX is so inconsistent they never really had one specific set of component values they stuck to anyways, it's kindof an approximation.

If you look at the differences in the component values that should give you an idea of the difference though

Archived