Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird artist vs pro

Putmonk

hi,

Just wanted some help in buying my first Gibson acoustic. After long consideration I've narrowed my wish-list down to a hummingbird guitar (It is a beautiful looking and sounding guitar). But I am wondering what the true difference is between a hummingbird pro and an artist?

Price wise an artist is the better choice, but I don't want to make the wrong decision just because of the money.

My music style is John Mayer, Foo fighters, RHCP, Radiohead and Pearl jam. (If this is applicable for the desicion)

Thanx in advance!

Hey good choice. Money was an issue when I first bought my very own Gibson and I thought well a pro has the same tone woods as a real bird so why not. I ended up swapping out for a real bird when one arrived a few days later at the store. The hummingbird I bought sung a completely different song then my pro and I ended up upgrading to it. They just aren't the same guitars I don't think they take the same amount of time to build them and that's y they're cheaper. Its 100% worth saving the extra 500 to buy a real hummingbird. They're so much better looking and sounding and resale is double what the artist or pros do. I've seen artists resell for around 1200 when I dumped my bird for my bird TV I got 2300 which I paid 25 out the door at gc when they were running a 20% off coupons. I never imagined selling it but I had to once I played my hummingbird true vintage. I say buy once cry once and I'm no man of fortune either!

While both the choices may yield a good guitar (based on the reviews we've seen online, even here) the Hummingbird moniker is more about sales than reflections of the actual hummingbird guitar. If it's a 'real' hummingbird you're after I would urge you to sit it out until you've got enough in the pot for one rather than take a hummingbird-in-name model and then start looking to upgrade after a while.

Years ago when I first played in bands, I learned very quickly that it was always cheaper (and not to mention far more satisfying) to save up the money and buy the best. So...suggest you keep squirreling away the cash and go with the Hummingbird TV (or the like). Have to admit that whenever I feel the "electric" urge come on, there's a certain thrill (still!) in pulling out my old White Falcon.

Years ago when I first played in bands, I learned very quickly that it was always cheaper (and not to mention far more satisfying) to save up the money and buy the best. So...suggest you keep squirreling away the cash and go with the Hummingbird TV (or the like). Have to admit that whenever I feel the "electric" urge come on, there's a certain thrill (still!) in pulling out my old White Falcon.

I figure if you really want "the bird," you save your bucks and get "the bird." There's no substitute for the real thing. Not a thing in the world wrong with The Artist or The Pro. They are both very fine guitars and they each have their own sound, but only "the bird" is "the bird." My advice (and it doesn't make me right and someone else wrong) is to save your money for "the bird." The Gibson Hummingbird has a persona and aura about it that literaly breathes authenticity, tradition, history. You won't regret it if you get "the bird." [thumbup]

I figure if you really want "the bird," you save your bucks and get "the bird." There's no substitute for the real thing. Not a thing in the world wrong with The Artist or The Pro. They are both very fine guitars and they each have their own sound, but only "the bird" is "the bird." My advice (and it doesn't make me right and someone else wrong) is to save your money for "the bird." The Gibson Hummingbird has a persona and aura about it that literaly breathes authenticity, tradition, history. You won't regret it if you get "the bird." [thumbup]

Amen ! Those are words of wisdom and are from a Bird owner. I couldn't have said it any better . Long lived the HBird [thumbup]

I have two standard Birds one with PUs one strictly acoustic. Took me months to find these two. Both sound sweet, very good guitars.

A few months ago I purchased a Hummingbird "Pro". This guitar is in no way shape or form or sound close to a standard hummingbird, but it is one hell of a guitar. Looks like J45 with the sunburst finish, its a long scale 25.5" and plays quite nicely. What does it do better than my Birds? Two things: Outstanding slide guitar and she loves flat picking. The guitar also plays spanish classical picking songs very nicely.

It loves a pick. Its a very loud guitar i might add.

Is it as good as regular H Bird, no not in my opinion, she is not as mellow. The pro actually reminds me of a Martin but with a better tone IMO.

They are excellent guitars.

Thanx Markini for the information. Does the pro sounds good unplugged? And how does it strum? I like to play a lot of strumming songs with a plectrum.

Unfortunatly I haven't got time to test it in a guitarshop. The one close to my home doesn't sell Gibson.

For strumming I would go with a standard or TV Hummingbird. For picking I think the Pro is a better choice by a hair. The Pro is really a nice guitar. But I gotta recommend a real Hummingbird.

The Pro IMO is everything I wanted out of a Martin dread, its long scale, very bassy, but has a sweet tone. Its also mahogany. Has good note separation. Like I said before the Pro really likes a pick.

When I tuned her for slide though, the Pro blew me away. I will try to post a sound clip if you like. I can record her later today.

If your heart desires a real hummingbird then that's what you should do.

Personally I really like the hummingbird artist. I like the plain look of it and the faded vintage color. I'd love to have a square shoulder Gibby but I don't like the hummingbird bling and design. I think the artist is a good looking axe. I dunno why they don't just give it it's own name and spare the oh it's not a hummingbird thing. Well, it isn't a hummingbird. I'm sure if it had its own name there would prob be more interest in it. A G18 maybe [thumbup]

78b469afa9aa3a2543c1ba5e17e82671.jpg

No question it is a great looking guitar, love the burst and the madatory (for me) tulips on a sqaure shouldered Gibson dread.

Never played one but would love to give it a go. It seems outstanding value for money.

Key is not to expect it to sound like an orginal Bird' but take it for what it is, which Im guessing is pretty damn good.

If your heart desires a real hummingbird then that's what you should do.

Personally I really like the hummingbird artist. I like the plain look of it and the faded vintage color. I'd love to have a square shoulder Gibby but I don't like the hummingbird bling and design. I think the artist is a good looking axe. I dunno why they don't just give it it's own name and spare the oh it's not a hummingbird thing. Well, it isn't a hummingbird. I'm sure if it had its own name there would prob be more interest in it. A G18 maybe [thumbup]

78b469afa9aa3a2543c1ba5e17e82671.jpg

Markini,

Thank you so much for the demo. Nicely played. love it!

The guitar sounds great and now I have a problem. I agree that the pro looks (and sounds) great! I've got my eye on a honey burst.

But everbody is saying I should save for a real hummingbird or j45 tv. I think I have too do some real thinking here!!!!! :blink: :blink:

But thanks again markini for the great demo!

Here is sample track I did this morning on a Humminbird Pro. Used a clean setting on a lIne 6 Spider amp and turned the EQ way down

I was trying to go for an acoustic sound, no effects.

http://soundcloud.com/markini/pro-demo-mp3

Here is sample track I did this morning on a Humminbird Pro. Used a clean setting on a lIne 6 Spider amp and turned the EQ way down

I was trying to go for an acoustic sound, no effects.

http://soundcloud.com/markini/pro-demo-mp3

It does sound good, however it would be much more representative if you could do the same or some strumming and picking straight into a mike, purely unplugged. As now you are hearing as much the quality of the pickup system as much as the guitar.

Markini,

The guitar sounds great and now I have a problem. I agree that the pro looks (and sounds) great! I've got my eye on a honey burst.

But everbody is saying I should save for a real hummingbird or j45 tv. I think I have too do some real thinking here!!!!! :blink: :blink:

Jort,

Save up a bit more and buy a regular or TV Hummingbird. Though the Pro is sweet, the Birds are sweeter.

Markini,

The artist is the honey burst. The pro is sunburst.

Look man, just go play a few and pick the one you like. Don't get sucked into the spec sheets and this and that. If you prefere the looks of one, why would you buy something that looks radically different? I wouldn't think twice about buying that honey burst artist model if I liked it's sound. I wouldn't think twice about buying a real hummingbird.....because I don't like them. And I surely wouldn't buy something just because all the guys on here said so. Go to GC or wherever your Gibson dealer is and try them and see what YOU like. Nobody here is going to dog you because you post A new guitar day hummingbird artist or pro. They are quality build Gibson instruments just like all the rest. I think there a excellent alternative for those of us who would like a square shoulder Gibson without the hummingbird design and bling

Play both and see what speaks to you.

I'd say the Pro would be a rather different prospect to a standard/TV Hummingbird, long scale vs short scale makes a huge difference to volume, tone and responsiveness.

I've owned two Hummingbird MCs and loved both. Sold the first one, missed it immediately and replaced it with an even better one.

I eventually parted with my second HB to buy a Blues King due to a shoulder issue. That was a great guitar too, but I eventually had to part with it when times got tight. Such a shame, it was a great instrument.

I've since really come to enjoy long scale necks such as that on my AJ. I like the extra volume and punch. I guess it's a personal preference thing...I'd happily own a short scale guitar again, but if you try both there is a chance that one will speak to you more loudly than the other.

You can't really go wrong here though...standard HB will have better resale than the Pro, but if you're after a keeper, who cares about resale?

Play both and see what speaks to you.

I'd say the Pro would be a rather different prospect to a standard/TV Hummingbird, long scale vs short scale makes a huge difference to volume, tone and responsiveness.

I've owned two Hummingbird MCs and loved both. Sold the first one, missed it immediately and replaced it with an even better one.

I eventually parted with my second HB to buy a Blues King due to a shoulder issue. That was a great guitar too, but I eventually had to part with it when times got tight. Such a shame, it was a great instrument.

I've since really come to enjoy long scale necks such as that on my AJ. I like the extra volume and punch. I guess it's a personal preference thing...I'd happily own a short scale guitar again, but if you try both there is a chance that one will speak to you more loudly than the other.

You can't really go wrong here though...standard HB will have better resale than the Pro, but if you're after a keeper, who cares about resale?

hey jinder , isnt a blues king a strange substitute for a hummingbird ? i thought those little boxes were no use for strumming ? kinda opposite of a 'bird ?

i'm only asking because i like the idea of a little guitar as a second one if i ever get the dough , but if they cant take a strum or two then i'm not sure what use they would be to me.

BBG, don't let your preconceptions rule your choice of guitar...play and choose with your ears!

I strummed and flatpicked the heck out of my Blues King. I fingerpicked it, Travis-picked it, played lead with it, even recorded it through a distortion pedal and a cooking valve amp to add a textural guitar part low in the mix on a track.

They're not quite as honey-flavoured as a Hummingbird, and are certainly a bit lighter in bass, but a good L-00 is loud, strident, punchy and has a glorious, percolating midrange tone which is great for vocal accompaniment and sits really well in a mix.

The L-00 range is probably, for my money, the second best all-rounder behind the J45s in their various incarnations.

I really miss mine. In terms of small bodied guits, if I couldn't find a Nick Lucas at some point in my future, I'd love to spec a custom L-00 with Maple back and sides and a long-scale neck (with AJ inlays), tigerstripe pickguard, '30s style small burst...mmm!

Archived