Gibson Brands Forums

Haight-Ashbury

j45nick

An old friend gave me a guided tour of San Francisco last night, including driving through the area that was ground zero of the 60's counterculture. It is still a pretty funky neighborhood. I'm going to get her to take me back in a few days, and I'm going to stand on the corner of Haight and Ashbury streets and play a little early Bobby Zimmerman on my travel guitar.

Maybe someone will toss a couple of bucks into my open gig bag, like I do for the buskers I see all over this town.

Then again, I'd probably get arrested for performing without a permit. That really would be life coming full circle, wouldn't it?

There's even a shop on the corner selling tie-dyed T-shirts and headbands. Groovy!

There's even a shop on the corner selling tie-dyed T-shirts and headbands. Groovy!

If you're going to do any shopping in the neighborhood, head a bit west to Haight Asbury Music Center and a bit east to Bound Together, the anarchist collective bookstore.

-- Bob R

Crumb-haight.jpg

The funny thing about this R. Crumb blast from the past is the guy on the left peddling the SF Oracle. My boss is Larry Ellison, who owns this little tech company called Oracle......

Maybe this was a message "back from the future" when this drawing was done.

I knew I shouldn't have smoked that funny cigarette the nice young man on the corner gave me: "here gramps, try a little of this...."

I was lucky enough to have a few days in San Francisco last year.I'd gone on a on trip through the canyonlands of the south west and it just happened that my cheapest airfare from Sydney was via San Francisco.

What a great city...I spent a pleasant hour in the acoustic room of the H-A music store.Got to try a Keb Mo which was very tasty.Beautiful examples of Queen Anne? timber houses on the walk to Haight as well. Enjoy Nick.

Cool talk Nick – I picture you goin' through The Times They Are A Changing, I Want You or maybe the more easy remembered Winterlude with a smile between your cheeks.

It's in the stars – you have to do it.

"And if you hear vague traces of skippin' reels of rhyme

To your tambourine in time, it's just a ragged clown behind. . . "

And if you hear the ringing clicking chime of invisible coins and dimes in the feathered felt hat before you, it's imaginary me. . . .

The funny thing about this R. Crumb blast from the past is the guy on the left peddling the SF Oracle. My boss is Larry Ellison, who owns this little tech company called Oracle......

I knew I shouldn't have smoked that funny cigarette the nice young man on the corner gave me: "here gramps, try a little of this...."

Nick.... I didn't know you worked for Larry!

I drove him to the SF Opera once many years ago.

He was dating some little cutie who worked for him.

I picked him up at his house in Menlo Park, (his 'every day driver' was a Ferrari Testarossa, ( I actually have a pic I took in his driveway!)

After the opera, we loaded up some Hollywood producer, and went to the filming of a movie on the Embarcadero.

The guy holding the Zap Comic is Robert himself and the pregnant woman looks like Aline, his wife although I don't think they knew each other when that drawing was done. He drew women who looked like her long before he met her.

Archived