Gibson Brands Forums

Bass?

MissouriPicker

Last night I played bass on a couple songs during a friend's gig. I had a blast. Don't really know the bass at all, but I do know the scales. I was able to go back-and-forth-up-and-down on a couple strings and it sounded good. I enjoyed it. Now, I think I want to get a bass, just to play around with. Maybe record a bass track for my own stuff, jam with friends. I'm not a bass player. Would not dare pretend that I am, but I still want to play it. Any ideas on a cheap acoustic-electric? And I've always kind of wondered if the necks hold-up well with all that tension.......Not looking to spend more than 200-300. Just something to have some fun with.

Not sure about acosutic... But for the Electric you cant go wrong with a Squire P Bass.. I also like to dabble and have one of them.. Pretty decent for the price you pay.. They play and balance well and sound ok (not amazing).. But I changed the pups on mine for some good Seymour Duncan ones and now it totally thumps [thumbup]

My best advice for a bass is make sure you try it standing up. I had an Epi EB3 SG bass a while back, and even though I loved the sound look and feel.. Man did that neck dive like a goodun... So yeah watch for neck heavy basses.

Ibanez also makes some great inexpensive bases. They have smooth, thin necks, and are very light and well balanced.

They are for sale all over ebay. I recently found a great Ibanez Flamed Maple GSR 200. It has a mahogany body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. It's lighter than most of my guitars and sounds really nice.

I got it for $50, with a HSC! [thumbup]

I tend to like J and P basses (and I'm not a bassist either). You can certainly buy a Squier® Precision or Jazz bass for less than $300. And you may be able to get a Mexi Fender used in that range as well (which would be my choice).

You didn't mention what type of bass you played, that you liked playing. If you like that particular type, start there for the inexpensive models of it. There are a lot of basses on the market to choose from. Look around, and play some until you find the one that fits the bill. Ask around too. Used basses are a good way to get into sometimes, a better bass than you thought about getting into, for a decent price. Have fun with your search. [thumbup]

I'm a bass virgin too, and play much more acoustic than electric guitar, but also am beginning to shop for an inexpensive (acoustic/electric or solid bod) model to record with and improve my general understanding of music. Questions; are there any decent acoustic/electric models, and do I need an amp, besides my old Fender Princeton and new Blues Junior, to handle it?

Epi has some nice shorties, and the price is right on them. One draw back to the short scale bass, String options. The string companies don't go out of their way to give a player of a short scale bass a big selection of gauges to choose from. The 34" long scale is the basic industry standard scale length. My SG Std. is 30.5" Short Scale.

Questions; are there any decent acoustic/electric models, and do I need an amp, besides my old Fender Princeton and new Blues Junior, to handle it?

As was said, low volume is OK. Play too loudly and the low frequencies will wreck your speaker.

The thing to watch out for with cheaper basses are the pickups. You will find pretty quickly that different strings have different levels of loudness. I imagine you could upgrade the pickups on a Squier for under 100 USD.

I've played bass off and on when needed since the early '70s.

I think in ways the question almost is more one of scale than brand - and that the acoustic bass isn't IMHO as versatile as a solidbody.

I like short scale. Epi has some. There are some short scale Squires - one that looks quite nice is the SS Jaguar bass. There are good reviews on it. For around $200 a bass and gig bag?

Not sure if there's a short scale AE bass.

Hmmmm. Ever look at a Guitaron Mexicano? It's huge and fretless and pretty loud for all-acoustic.

m

Thanks for all the good info. I'm going to look at a few more this weekend, maybe get one this next week. Not sure what brand, but I know GC has a large number of bass guitars (both acoutic and electric). I'll likely try several of both styles. The fun just goes on and on with this music stuff. [thumbup]

I had a Squire jazz bass and I liked it a lot. I'd change the pickups though. I got the Geddy Lee Signature bass only because it was $200 off the lowest price I ever saw (had to do it!). Still the Squire bass is a very good one for the price.

Congrats on the new bass. Wait to see what your sound is like. The pups look to be a Humbucking style. The strings will be your multitude of choices for sounds on a bass. Watch the fit of the strings, as for the cut of the nut to the gauge sizes. If the string is to loose in the nut, you may get a warble sound. To large of a gauge can break the nut. If it's a 34" scale length, string availability is great. The bridge looks to be a solid one also. It appears to be a good bass.

I like to record tracks in my little amateur studio and I didn't know any bass players. So Mother of Invention being what she is, I just started doing my own bass tracks a couple of years ago. I use a 1988 Fender Precision (Day glo Pink!). Color is weird but the price and sound were worth it.

I agree with the posters, playing bass and or other instruments expands your horizons .

If I were to buy a low priced bass now,my choice would be the Squier Jazz Bass.They have a 1 1/2" wide nut so they are quite easy for a guitarist to adapt to rather than the 2" nut of the P-basses.The Squier Jaguar bass is probably the most versatile bass made as it's wired like the Jaguar guitar which gives it all kinds of tonal variations.The Jag bass also has the same super-slim neck of the Jazz Bass but costs considerably more.

Congrats on the new bass. Wait to see what your sound is like. The pups look to be a Humbucking style. The strings will be your multitude of choices for sounds on a bass. Watch the fit of the strings, as for the cut of the nut to the gauge sizes. If the string is to loose in the nut, you may get a warble sound. To large of a gauge can break the nut. If it's a 34" scale length, string availability is great. The bridge looks to be a solid one also. It appears to be a good bass.

Thanks for tips on the strings and nut. Never had looked before but now I notice that bass strings can be pricey. Any favorite you might have I'd love to hear suggestions.

Archived