Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Epiphone DR500MCE

Cobalt

Hello everyone. My DR500MCE arrived yesterday and it was very nice out of the box except for a bit of high action. I am very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping I can get help with. Even though the binding all the way around is cream the nut and saddle are white. Is that normal? I would hate to think that someone already has had this guitar. My second question is this. I know the saddle and nut are bone but do you feel it would be worthwhile to updrade to a Tusk bone, saddle and bridge pins? The luthier is an hour away so if need be I would like to do it all in one shot. Any help is appreciated.

Your nut and saddle sound normal, and I definitely prefer bone to tusk.The binding could be expected to be cream colored and the bone is often bleached white to make it look clean. I would not change that if I were you. I think bone has superior sound all the way around. As for bridge pins I would recommend ebony pins to replace the plastic ones.They accent warm rich tone and definitely make a difference, in mine anyway.If the action is high and you can not tweak it in with the truss rod, then get it set up somewhere, it will be worth the cost and that will make the action perfect. Good luck with your new guitar...those models make excellent tone...I have two masterbilts, an AJ-500R and an AJ-500M. Both of them have bone nuts and saddles, which makes them sound excellent along with the all solid woods.Did you get it from MusiciansFriend, or GuitarCenter?...I want a DR-500mce myself but have not been able to find a good one without defects...yours sounds like its a great deal! Congratulations!

Thanks for the reply. I got mine from Sam Ash. It does sound like a good one as I don't see any defects at all. I will look into some pins. Are they normal size?

Yes I used normal size ebony pins...the ones with the slotted grove in them. I did have to bore the 5th and 6th pins out a bit deeper with a drill because of the thick strings, in order to get them in the bridge holes. I've heard of Sam Ash instruments and they are good as far as I know. Good luck with you DR-500!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. My DR500MCE arrived yesterday and it was very nice out of the box except for a bit of high action. I am very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping I can get help with. Even though the binding all the way around is cream the nut and saddle are white. Is that normal? I would hate to think that someone already has had this guitar. My second question is this. I know the saddle and nut are bone but do you feel it would be worthwhile to updrade to a Tusk bone, saddle and bridge pins? The luthier is an hour away so if need be I would like to do it all in one shot. Any help is appreciated.

I've had my DR500MCE for about 2 months and finally got around to taking it for a set-up. Although I bought it from GC, I decided for all my work I'm going to take it to a small bluegrass shop which specialized in high-end instruments. I got a call and the guys said he was going to have to do a little extra fret work on the higher frets. I should be getting it back this week. I'll let you know how it plays.

Archived