Gibson Brands Forums

multi processors vs. boxes

1998StandardSG

So for years now I have been hooked on individual boxes and have now reached the point where they are taking up WAY too much space on stage. I have been playing around with a BOSS ME-50 and though I have my complaints, I also have my compliments on the product. What I don't like is how sensitive the on/off for the expression pedal is. I will be on wah and then it will switch to volume... What I do like is how I can select between different distortion pedals with rotating a knob.

I think I may use it in usison with my vintage wah, classic wah, whammy, and a few other pedals but I would like to get your feedback and opinions on this type of set up and what I should expect and what I should avoid doing. Amps used are Super RI, Hot Rod Deluxe, and I use a Fender PA 100 to run a talk box (yeah... I'm not crazy about lugging that thing around to run a talk box...)

And sorry for the double post.. my computer is slow...

ALSO! I have been absent from the forum for a little bit, but has anybody else received any spam messages???

I went years using only a pedal or two......Then I went with a GT-5...I have a GT-10 and a GT-08...They're OK, except for the OD/Distortions.....

So, I'm back to stomp boxes; This time though, lots of them, on four/ five different boards.........

Look into the " Banshee " talkboxes.....

I've never found a multi effects processor that has every effect sounding like I want it. "Delay good, Chorus bad" sort of thing. And I have yet to find any digital distortion or overdrive that sounds nearly as sweet as analog.

Plus I don't heavily effect my signal, multi effect processors tend to hide the sound of the guitar.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think I may use it in unison with my distortion pedals now. I have a blues overdrive, tube overdrive, and a double shot. So I have 5 different distortions at my hands plus the two on the hot rod deluxe.. But I am really considering now a complete new set up. If I go with individual stomps I am going to have 14-15 pedals lined up because I can't find any way to fit them on a board... Will probably have to go with multiple boards if I do that... I hate making things complicated and complex with looping cable because I want a certain pedal up front on the board when it is at the beginning of the chain.. just things like that. I think I get too particular at times though... OK I have to get back to work haha. It's good to get a break from messing with video though...

Keep the feedback coming ! If you have a certain way of setting your stuff up please share. I'll try to get something made up and put here what I'm doing with mine...

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think I may use it in unison with my distortion pedals now. I have a blues overdrive, tube overdrive, and a double shot. So I have 5 different distortions at my hands plus the two on the hot rod deluxe.. But I am really considering now a complete new set up. If I go with individual stomps I am going to have 14-15 pedals lined up because I can't find any way to fit them on a board... Will probably have to go with multiple boards if I do that... I hate making things complicated and complex with looping cable because I want a certain pedal up front on the board when it is at the beginning of the chain.. just things like that. I think I get too particular at times though... OK I have to get back to work haha. It's good to get a break from messing with video though...

Keep the feedback coming ! If you have a certain way of setting your stuff up please share. I'll try to get something made up and put here what I'm doing with mine...

If I were in your situation I'd go with the combo of Multi-Processor and Pedals. But then I know a guy who runs at least that many and he would never trade it for a processor, of course he enjoys building the boards and finding creative ways of stringing them together.

Personally, if I have to do more than string a few patch cables and plug in the power supplies I completely lose wood.

If I were in your situation I'd go with the combo of Multi-Processor and Pedals. But then I know a guy who runs at least that many and he would never trade it for a processor, of course he enjoys building the boards and finding creative ways of stringing them together.

Personally, if I have to do more than string a few patch cables and plug in the power supplies I completely lose wood.

I think I will definitely go the combo route. I just got finished working with a fishman acoutic imager and a Digitech vocal harmonizer so now I'm fooling around with those trying to get a good acoustic sound...

But yes definitely combo is the best way to go. Thanks for your feedback! You know, I wish that there was a box the size of a computer tower that had ever effect you could possibly want and have the presets modeled after EVERY combination imaginable. Then you would have a floor controller and you could bank between all of them or you could store your set list settings in order and then you could go with that... of course it would probably have an infinite amount of settings.. but you would have them all dag nab it! And that is officially the first time I have ever said.. or typed "dag nab it"

I definitely have too much *clap clap* time on my hands.. And see it doesn't end!

Individual pedals are a lot more fun to replace and acquire often in the quest for the ultimate tone! [biggrin]

How true! Pedals are a lot of fun to experiment with but I recently purchased a Line6 M5 stompbox modeler and it's fantastic (though I don't like the tedium of programming the thing) But, once you settle on 25 effects, your programming is pretty well over (until you change them) There's over 100 to choose from so settling on your 25 presets and setting the parameters for each really does take some time. The only bummer with the M5 is that it's a one effect at a time unit... but, they make two other models where you can run more than one effect at a time. Other than not being able to dial in a totally convincing MuTron setting... I've had great luck with finding good settings with all the other effects I've tried. For me, the one effect at a time thing is fine.

An old girlfriend's little brother had a cool little boss multi effects unit... the thickness of two rack units but not full width... I remember that being a pretty cool multi effect unit, though I never had to program it. I do remember it had an awesome Matchless amp model... not sure if it was stock or something he programmed.

I do have a rather extensive pedal board in my studio and love my pedals too but when I wanted a little practice rig for the bedroom, I didn't want another set of pedals or to have to move individual pedals from one setup to the other. I'd recommend the Line6 stuff... maybe not the model I have but the two steps up from there might be a good option for replacing a whole bunch of pedals with one unit.

I use a Boss ME 50 too, great multi FX box if you ask me. Does everything I need it too. I programed the three foot switches for what I need. A good distortion/overdrive on one, a big reverb with a slow flange on another and a clean with chorus on the third switch. I just added a Golden Cello by Mad professor that I put infront of the Boss ME 50 which is great for leads.

What I hate about the Boss ME 50 is if you accidentally step on the first two peddles at the same time it goes into tuner mode and cuts out all sound, not cool when you are doing a lead... And I agree the switch on the volume/wha pedal is too sensative... I may set up a seperate volume pedal and wha so I don't have to deal with it.

Although I haven't had a lot of experience with multi-effects units,the ones I have seen are a bit too confusing and difficult to use for a 58 year old Luddite/analogue guy like me.I have a Vox AD-120-VTH and have gone through the almost 60 page owners manual and still can't figure out how to program it and make use of what could prove to be an incredible memory bank of settings using the optional VC-12 foot controller.I have to settle just using the VC-12 to access just 4 effects at a time and have to rely on my pedals for all the other effects.

I'm not a slack-jawed knuckle dragger but these things just confound me to no end,so until someone can sit down with me and show me how the bloody thing works I'll be sticking to my old reliable pedal chain.

The pros and cons of multi-effects boards:

Pros:

•  
  • If you use one or more electric Guitars onstage, you can set up banks specific to a particular make of Guitar. For example, one for a Strat and then a different one for a Gibson. This way, you can use the same effects but be able to compensate between single coils and humbuckers.
  • Being able to update effects online or being able to download a particular players set up and tone.
  • Less cables and mess onstage.

Cons:

•  
  • You will not be happy with all of the effects.
  • The volume/expression/wah pedal's theory of being available for multi-use is a myth. On most boards you have to stamp down really hard to disengage the volume control and engage the wah and the board rarely cooperates on this. Volume control can also be really clunky.

I'm currently using a Line 6 Spidervalve mk II 112 amp with it's integrated shortboard. When you switch on the amp, the volume goes through the roof, there is no control over this. I'm not happy with a lot of the effects available particularly the fuzz which is just rubbish, when you can find it.

So, I've decided to phase out the shortboard in favour of individual pedals. Last month I got a Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal. Currently in the post is an Ibanez Tube Screamer and a Jim Dunlop Fuzz Face. Next will be an Ernie Ball volume pedal and then a TC Electronics Polytune. Once I have all these, I can stop using the shortboard and use the delay and reberb on the amp itself although I will eventually get these pedals too.

The ToneLab Le by Vox

This. I've used several multi effects and have a nice little collection of pedals. I prefer pedals, but the ToneLab LE is hands down the best ME board I've ever used.

Oh, and I've had no issues with the Wah/Volume pedal either :)!

When it comes down to the nitty gritty, it depends on what sound your after. If your doing nothing but cover song's and you like to stay with the original sound from the record then it's best to go with what ever was used to make that recording, so you just have to research it. If you don't care to copy-cat the original song or your doing your own thing then I can't help you, you got to figure out that on your own.

I have heard great things about Fractal Audio but that will set you back 2K or so, but if you think about it.... If you buy 10 or 15 stomp-boxes at 100.00 each, well, that will seriously add up over time.

I think for fuzz and overdrive analog is the way to go.

For delay and some modulation digital can be really cool but I still prefer analog.

Multifx units tend to be more of a quantity over quality type thing though there are definitely some sweet sounds to be had. If the player is really good it doesn't matter all that much

Got one and its a very nice pedal, dont know how much the valve does but it ads to the look .I just run it into the clean channel on a Marshall JCM 2ooo with 2 4x12s. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Of all the multi FX units I have heard or tried I find that the Vox effects-whether onboard a Valvetronix amp or a Tonelab board-are the best by far.The VOX Leslie and UniVibe models are simply astounding in their likeness to the originals even down to the gradual ramping up and slowing down.Their 5 different reverb and 5 different .echo models are also incredibly like their counterparts-even the analogue tape echo etc.All the modulation effects are amazing to and with the tremolo you can even set the intensity heavy enough to give you the "How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths strong tremolo depth.The only Leslie simulator that comes close to the Vox emulations is the Tech 21 RotoChoir-which can be expensive,especially in Canada (almost $300).If I had the know-how to operate a stand-alone FX board and was looking for one I'd look to Vox for reliability and authenticity.

Archived