Gibson Brands Forums

Squares Need Not Apply

J.R.M.30!

Can a song just have one chord in it? I say no. Lately I've been decomposing some rather crappe pieces of nothings. One song has a bluesy feel to it but it's not in the blues chord progression; it only has one chord in it, a G#m. Another song has mainly three chords in it but is too busy (too many notes) to have vocals with it. Fine. Okay by me if these thingies aren't music, references back to a thread started by the real Rabs on "Define Music". =;

I've written and recorded several songs with only one chord. It allows me to construct many different melody lines.

And there are many examples of one chord songs. So I'm not quite sure why you would say "No".

"The Beat Goes On”, recorded by Sonny and Cher, is an example of a one-chord song.

Functionally a lot of "older" blues songs had only one "chord."

Ditto old fiddle tunes. Consider that some of those tunes came out of a tradition that had bagpipe sorts of drones. The mountain dulcimer has two drones and a melody string.

So there are two "traditions" of American music that functionally have not been thought out in terms of I-IV-V chords at all. Just for the heck of it, if you've ever heard the old "Muleskinner Blues," try playing just a root "E" chord, but muffing the G string 'stedda fingering for an E major or leaving it open for a E minor chord. If you want, drop a finger on the bass E string at "G" when normally you'd go into an A chord and at F# when you'd do a B7.

Sing along and feel how southern rural black and rural white music found some easy crossover.

Apparent dissonance is not necessarily a "no-no" much of the time when viewed along those lines.

m

...but if you play that one chord with your teeth, or behind your back you are considered a guitar god....now if you with your teeth and behind your back at the same time...well.... [scared][scared]

I think I'll be able to pull that off in a few years when I have dentures...

Can a song just have one chord in it? I say no.

Yes it can.. theres plenty of examples of songs with one chord

The main guitar riff thats strumming is the same all the way through..

or go for the middle.. two chords ;)

Archived