Gibson Brands Forums

Buying my first gibson. Tested 12!

solving

Spec sheets online can be frustrating but you have to look to the root of the problem, the manufacturers website is not exactly always on detailed specs for some models and of course the many production models that never actually make it to the site in the first place.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I am not saying that. I mean you cannot depend on spec sheets. You have to confirm all details for yourself.

Unless the return policy is very good I would recommend buying from a shop you can visit. The ideal situation is where the guitar 'finds you' when you play it.

In sweden, return policy is very strict and benefits the customer. Buying something on the internet always allows you 14 days to return a product purchased in Sweden (i'll pay for shipping).

Therefore I could order the "cheap" AN and if it turns out not to be a TV i can always return the guitar.

Also, this allows me to try out the guitar for two weeks

Well, if you are happy to pay the shipping, fair enough. It sounds like the TV in Gothenberg was a comparably good deal too and you know you like that one. It might be good to have a local guitar shop on your side should you have problems or need other things. They will usually offer a free setup for example after your new guitar has settled in a bit.

Your call on that of course.

• 1 month later...

Getting my first Gibson on friday...........msp_thumbup.gif

I'll post some pictures after the weekend

So, what did you wind up with? I was rooting for the SJ200tv. What were your final thoughts in making your decision? If new, out of the box - you're in for a treat over the next year or so as the sound gets better and better. G'luck!

PS: Regarding sunbursts. To me they are, like guitars with lots of pearl inlays, something you notice more in the store or in in photos than you do actually owning and playing one. Sure, it's nice every now and then to open up the case and admire for a few seconds but really, you stop seeing it after a while. This is coming from an owner of (amongst others) a custom amberburst Martin D-42 that had plenty of both.

I see what you mean. Once lived with a view straight towards one of the most beautiful castles i Europe and sometimes never noticed.

But here we're talking BURSTS ! , , , and I assure you, you are bound to find many disagreers on this Board.

Bursts are like precious paintings for us. They are sights into otherwordly dream-scapes no one can explain or describe. We sit gazing at the bursts like Dylan gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing.

Some polish their bursts with fairy joy-tears, other lean back mesmerized by the way they change with the light. We wonder about our bursts, , , is it right, could it have been a hair darker, does the black zone start too early, how cherry was the cherry before the sun sat in and so forth. . . We come home from work, from heavy tasks or parties and just feel like posting burst-pics here. We are mad about them Old Neil.

Not saying you have to follow – only wanted you to know.

See you -

Well...... Why does anybody buy a Harley Davidson? There's a lot of better bikes out there

But what would you recommend?

Well you lost me right there,,, Must be a Europe thing, There's only Gibson & Harley Davidson !!!!! Everything else is a COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you lost me right there,,, Must be a Europe thing, There's only Gibson & Harley Davidson !!!!! Everything else is a COPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A "copy" can be better....... Lexus is one of the best cars on the market. But it's a copy of every other car.......

Of all the guitars I've ever had .... this one is the best and I think Gibson makes the best guitars.....

Just tried to make a point to blindboygrunt why I wanted a gibson.....

post-46400-070697900 1350225015_thumb.jpg

A "copy" can be better....... Lexus is one of the best cars on the market. But it's a copy of every other car.......

Of all the guitars I've ever had .... this one is the best and I think Gibson makes the best guitars.....

Just tried to make a point to blindboygrunt why I wanted a gibson.....

gorgeous guitar solving , congratulations

am a little unsure as to why you mentioned me in particular ?

i hope what i said wasnt misunderstood ?

or maybe i misunderstood :-s

i certainly understand why a man would want a gibson! :)

gorgeous guitar solving , congratulations

am a little unsure as to why you mentioned me in particular ?

i hope what i said wasnt misunderstood ?

or maybe i misunderstood :-s

i certainly understand why a man would want a gibson! :)

See link #14.

I was was just telling "rsqvdr" that I was trying make a point to you that even if there are better guitars then Gibson I still want one...... (Even though my new DIF is the best guitar in the world[flapper] )

No misunderstanding. Just very confusing ......[biggrin]

See link #14.

I was was just telling "rsqvdr" that I was trying make a point to you that even if there are better guitars then Gibson I still want one...... (Even though my new DIF is the best guitar in the world[flapper] )

No misunderstanding. Just very confusing ......[biggrin]

ah , we're both singing from the same hymn sheet then .i would have to agree that there are 'better' guitars out there , but at the same time , there are none better than mine .

you can argue over build quality , resale value , wood grade yadda yadda , but beauty is in the hands of the beholder .

and i like mine just fine :)

Archived