Gibson Brands Forums

Lyrics

EVOL!

Having just come out of an annoying period of lyrical writer's block, I have been thinking about lyrical content. For those of you that write lyrics and sing, what do you write about?

I've been on a sci-fi kick lately so three of my last four lyrics have been about UFOs and ETs. Before that it was mental illness and nostalgia.

Right now I'm writing a dong called "Big Talk" that is about folks that like to tell everyone what's wrong with the world but don't seem to ever put any action behind those words.

Another one I'm working on is called "They don't mow the yard". It's about neighbors butting into each others business.

In my olden days I did a cupla things that were pretty "bob dylan-y" that actually got some folks remembering them clear up to nowadays. E.g., "Cecil the sandalman." I don't think I'd remember all the verses nowadays 'cuz I never wrote 'em down and haven't done 'em since probably 1972 or 3.

Now?

I've got to get back and rework a cupla rodeo things I did folkie a cupla years ago, wanted to rearrange more "western underground," and then dropped 'cuz things got too busy at work. #$%#$%#$

(Of course, a coupla intervening rodeo seasons kept me thinkin' about 'em.)

m

For some reason I cant write lyrics...

I dont know why.. I can write as much music as I want but when I try to write any lyrics they come out like the cheesiest 80s rock song you ever imagine.. They even make me cringe lol

Its not like I dont understand metaphors and the clever lyrics you hear or even the most basic.. But how ever hard or how ever many times I try.. I get something that would make Whitesnake lyrics sound deep haha

Oh well.. :P

In saying that.. for actualy writing advice, ive heard lyrics that say come from newspapaer stories and bible stories so they can come from anywhere really.. Maybe try making up a character (maybe someone wih all the atributes you wish you had in a fantasy world) and write a song about them :)

Another one I'm working on is called "They don't mow the yard". It's about neighbors butting into each others business.

hahah.. sounds like that will be a fun song (or really angry ;))

I like it [thumbup]

I write short stories and poems. I'd say the poems could be set to music, but actually making lyrics once the tune is made is a challenge for me.

It has to do with the expectations/requisites for various parts of a song. The chorus, for instance, has to repeat without being annoying.

I usually write about lost love, regret and getting through hardships.

I've been really blessed. I find lyrics easy. I started writing poetry in high school. I have experience as a journalist, having held positions as a NBC affiliate News Reporter and a Newspaper Sports Writer. So that has helped me become somewhat of a wordsmith. I write all kinds of stuff; from flowery, poetic, enigmatic phrases, to straight forward story telling.

So I never worry about the words at all.

What I have trouble with most is how I sing those words; the melody. Now that is the part that I have to really work on. Words and music are not much of a problem. But putting them both together, and making it a song that works, is the difficult part for me. :)

Cool topic,,

Having just returned to playing after many years away I haven't written anything since the late 80s early 90s.

I was young, not very optimistic and maybe a little angry so maybe some of it was kinda harsh..lol.

But having a recent musical rebirth and awaiting a little multitrack recorder I am really looking forward to getting creative again. I have no idea what my lyrics might be like now, and after having kids, I hope I haven't got all sappy lol.

What ever they are I sure as he!! won't be singing them. Will have to get someone else to do that.

Nobody wants to hear my vocals... I was never a singer.

I've found that my biggest difficulty is starting out thinking folkie, then thinking electric. That's true regardless of "style," including blues...

m

A great song with a beautiful melody can be ported to any style. Think about all of the electric covers of acoustic folk songs.

Write about things you don't want to write about, best way to discover your writing style is to write stuff you don't like. Not a fan of love songs? Write some. Not a fan of songs about putting your girlfriends cat in the microwave? Write about it.

I like to write about my disdain for big money, politics, propaganda, etc, only without giving it away (Like "The Contest" episode of Seinfeld only dealing with politics rather than pleasuring yourself...). I'm a fan of hidden meanings. I would want people to use their imaginations when they listen to my music.

Most of my tunes are about myself and what I am: Just a humble rocker. For instance, I have a song called "I'm A Rocker (And I'm Proud!)". But it needs work. The first incarnation of that song was too cliche. My heart and soul lies in straight-ahead rock, and that's generally the foundation of my songs. I mix that foundation with prog and European hard rock/heavy metal stylings (Comes from U.F.O., Scorpions, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Saxon, etc, influence) to make it more unique. Riffs are very important to me (I was brought up on riff rock!). But adding different textures (Like if Andy Summers and Ace Frehley got together and jammed..Which will never happen....) to the riffs. I like to use big chords and suspensions.

Overall, I like to combine riff rock with prog rock and put lyrics that are honest and to-the-point yet mean something. Not shallow, but not too "out there" either.

Im a bit different I make up the music. (the best I can) then I start recording and start singing. what ever comes out comes out. then I play it back pick out the lyrics I want to keep and work out a better form. Usually its about failed love or being hurt. Sometimes about politics. I cant just sit down and write lyrics that would be come a song.

When I try I write pages and pages with no structure usually sounding like poems. So the Bubba White song writing school works for merolleyes.gif

First: I like the open heart chirurgy and ups blues a lot! L.O.L.

I always start with good ideas and end up writing about trees and man in grey suit or flying yellow monkeys, bad sex with a teddy beer and it is teddy's fault.

Archived