Gibson Brands Forums

LG2 interest

SycamoreDan

Well this is my first post on the forum. Have been a Martin man for several decades but recently discovered the wonderful playability and tone of the J45. The only problem is that the lower bout does not agree with my right shoulder. So I am looking for a small bodied Gibson and really want an LG2 but don't feel prepared to dive into vintage prices and consistent maintenance. I know Gibson did a reissue of the LG2 a few years ago and that Fullers in Austin sometimes does custom runs of these. Can anyone give me some additional ideas about how to proceed in order to make my LG2 dream happen? Thanks.

Maybe you can find a B25 that has some of the LG2 tone and not so pricey, but a 50's era LG2 might be had for under 2 grand vintage. They happen to be a real sturdy model so it could last a lifetime. Ask detailed questions if you shop Ebay and know prices will go up in the cooler weather. Also, you'll find that a J45 is subdued compared to the lively LG2/3, so maybe a little body alteration while playing it might alleviate the comfort issues. If you like that J45 character, you may just have to buy one.

A small-bodied Gibson like a mahogany LG-2 or L-00 might have some of that dry Gibson flavor, strong on mids, that a J-45 has but those guitars won't sound like a j-45. The playability and feel will be similar, though. So if you want j-45 sound, possibly put a strap button on a j-45 and get a nice suede strap... The little guys are really fun in their own way, and they are mostly what I play, but they are different sounding from a 45.

I have no shoulder issues but when I sit down and play on the j45 I have the same issue. But I don't on my sj200 I don't get it

Yeh, I don,t get that either.....Seems like the Jumbo would 'cramp' you more than the J....????

You know, there has been a lot of interest in LG-2 on the board. I'm interested in them myself but it is not that easy to come by one to try. Other bulletin boards like the unofficial Martin guitar forum and the Larrivee forum have created 'forum guitar' designs, basically a custom with specs discussed on the board and then you order a run of 10 or 20 or whatever and get a special label yada yada. Anyone interested?

Start out with a mahogany LG-2 body. Adi top, perhaps. Short scale. Maybe keep price down by not blinging it up? I personally like the old style radiused fretboard (not the newer progressive compound radius). Possibly model on an existing Banner LG-2?

I have a 1960 LG-2 I purchased from Gary's Classic guitars in Ohio about two years ago and I am getting ready to sell it. If you are interested in pictures send me a note at my home e-mail: kinglm@cox.net. My cell phone is 757 469-2243. Michael

Archived