Gibson Brands Forums

Amp of Choice

CowboyBillyBob1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo many questions about that flashlight sitting atop that amp! [biggrin]

AXE® doesn't have the vision he had as a young man. I too always have a flashlight handy for plugging in speaker cables or swapping tubes. It's not so rock star to reach for the reading glasses I find. [biggrin] (Though I often need the glasses AND the flashlight).

AXE® doesn't have the vision he had as a young man. I too always have a flashlight handy for plugging in speaker cables or swapping tubes. It's not so rock star to reach for the reading glasses I find. [biggrin] (Though I often need the glasses AND the flashlight).

[lol] I know all about the glasses! Mine are up to 3/8s inch thick. [scared] When anyone asks i tell them i quit just in time! [biggrin]

Although I can't read the control panel,she appears to be the combo equivalent to the 2204 and that would explain why she is such an incredible amp as the 2204 is the 50W equivalent to the 100W 2203,that Jim Marshall was quoted in the History Of Marshall book as being the best amp they ever made.

Yes it is a 2204 model.

Anyone else besides me have the Carvin V3M?

I really like it.

I spent a few hours with a Gen 1 Legacy. I really like Carvin stuff a lot. That's a Carvin AG100D in my Avatar, and I have some P.A. monitors and a killer R1000 4;10 (redeye) bass rig.

I gigged with a guy that used a Bel Air 2;12 combo that was a monster club amp.

Good stuff.

I had all sorts of tube amps over the years since the early 1960's. I now play old Peavey US made amps, both solid state and 1 old tube amp, a Peavey Vintage from 1974...100 watts, 2 x 12 combo amp.

I have other Peaveys from 40 watts to 400 watts, none newer than the mid 1980's. I love them all.

mark

I've been playing the same amp (5150) for a little over a decade now. I did just get all new cabs, and finally (at least for the moment) I'm cool with my sound. I've been thinking about selling some gear lately and getting a 100 watt Soldano head. -Like a 100w Super Lead Overdrive.

1748.jpg

2x12_avatar.jpg

I've been playing the same amp (5150) for a little over a decade now. I did just get all new cabs, and finally (at least for the moment) I'm cool with my sound. I've been thinking about selling some gear lately and getting a 100 watt Soldano head. -Like a 100w Super Lead Overdrive.

1748.jpg

2x12_avatar.jpg

SLOs are great amps!

Gary Moore used to use one circa-Still Got The Blues (Even though he used a Bluesbreaker reissue on the record!). Contrary to others, he used them on the normal channel with the crunch switch engaged and a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal in front. He used the same concept later on with the DSL-100s: Green channel, crunch switch, Bad Monkey overdrive!

They're more than shred amps, trust me.

know I told everyone that I pulled out an old Marchal amp from the back of my closet and I got her running and sounds better than ever. It originally came with 6550 tubes but I had it rebiased for El34's to get more of a british tone. The tubes are still not used much and they sound killer. The thing is I had hiding behind the amp an ART SGE MKII multi effects rack mount piece of gear. I hooked it up using both the Marshall and the '65 DRRI. Brought me way back to the 80's and it sounded great with stereo delay and stuff. Here is where the trouble comes in. I spent almost two whole days tweaking ONE PRESET!! I got it to 90% of where I wanted and then decided to put it where it belongs. In the back of the closet. I wind up spending so much time tweaking it that I never get to actually play. Whew glad it's hidden away again.

I did come out of the experience wanting to play both amps at the same time and switching between them. As a result I just ordered a Radial BigShot ABY pedal. Its passive so no batteries needed and the sound clips I heard are just what the doctor ordered. Lots of features to eliminate phase and 60 cycle hum. Sounds like a winner for only $80 USD.

Anyone have any experience with this pedal. The Tone Bone by radial has more features but is more expensive.

I figure I will place it after my pedal board and set the Marshall for didtortion and the Deluxe obviously for clean.

Any opinions on this?

...I just ordered a Radial BigShot ABY pedal. ...

Anyone have any experience with this pedal....

I figure I will place it after my pedal board and set the Marshall for didtortion and the Deluxe obviously for clean. ...Any opinions on this?

I have one. It's the perfect simple, solid A/B switch. I use it the same way as you are describing (18 watt Marshall and Fender Deluxe Reverb). And yeah, you may need those switches for ground hum.

I have one. It's the perfect simple, solid A/B switch. I use it the same way as you are describing (18 watt Marshall and Fender Deluxe Reverb). And yeah, you may need those switches for ground hum.

Thanks for your comments. When I get it in a few days and set it up I'll post back with my impressions.

I am such a gear whore but this does not seem like a frivolous purchase.

Archived