Gibson Brands Forums

Amp of Choice

CowboyBillyBob1

know I told everyone that I pulled out an old Marchal amp from the back of my closet and I got her running and sounds better than ever. It originally came with 6550 tubes but I had it rebiased for El34's to get more of a british tone. The tubes are still not used much and they sound killer. The thing is I had hiding behind the amp an ART SGE MKII multi effects rack mount piece of gear. I hooked it up using both the Marshall and the '65 DRRI. Brought me way back to the 80's and it sounded great with stereo delay and stuff. Here is where the trouble comes in. I spent almost two whole days tweaking ONE PRESET!! I got it to 90% of where I wanted and then decided to put it where it belongs. In the back of the closet. I wind up spending so much time tweaking it that I never get to actually play. Whew glad it's hidden away again.

I did come out of the experience wanting to play both amps at the same time and switching between them. As a result I just ordered a Radial BigShot ABY pedal. Its passive so no batteries needed and the sound clips I heard are just what the doctor ordered. Lots of features to eliminate phase and 60 cycle hum. Sounds like a winner for only $80 USD.

Anyone have any experience with this pedal. The Tone Bone by radial has more features but is more expensive.

I figure I will place it after my pedal board and set the Marshall for didtortion and the Deluxe obviously for clean.

Any opinions on this?

I did that in the 80's, but I used an earnie ball volume/pan pedal between a JC-120 and a Twin Reverb, an A/B switch to toggle between the Twin and a Music Man amp, and basically used that as a way of switching between amps.

It sounded great, and was actually cheaper than the processers and preamps and midi and such that was popular at the time (amps, even REAL amps were dirt cheap back then, remember that?). But man that thing was a LOT to lug around. And I wasn't gigging- just "jamming" and practicing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am such a gear whore but this does not seem like a frivolous purchase.

Definitely not frivilous. I think anyone who has more than one amp should own one. I have also used it to channel switch between the two channels of old style two-channel Marshall and Fender amps that do not have channel switching capability - one amp channel for rhythm one for lead. Done.

OK so I got the Radial ABY switch and promptly hooked it up. When I started to play I noticed a snap crackle and pop coming from the 2204 2X12 Marshall Combo and other noise. I redid my pedal board and just started adding one box at a time if I could see who or what the culprit was. I did find one small patch cable that was touchy and replaced it with another. It helped but the Marshall was still making crazy sounds. I pluged my guitar straight in and still the noise. I tried a different guitar and no good either. I moved the amp to another outlet but nada, no good. I instead used a Fender Blues Deville 4x10 as a substitute for the Marshall but that is not what I intended. The Fender is so freakin loud that just to put the volume so that you can hear anything is just way too much for an apartment situation. I hooked it up with a distortion box so I could somewhat control the volume and get distortin out of it. Not the best solition but it worked.

I am not sure what is wrong with the Marshall. Could be the tubes pre or power amp ot maybe the filter caps are blown. Thay are the original caps but no oeakage so I kinda think they are OK. I will swap them with some older tubes I have that still worked when I replaced them and if that does not work I guess I will have to take it to a tech. Thing is here in Southington CT is like not easy to find someone who knows what they are doing and won't rip me off.

It's always something!!

OK so I got the Radial ABY switch and promptly hooked it up. When I started to play I noticed a snap crackle and pop coming from the 2204 2X12 Marshall Combo and other noise. I redid my pedal board and just started adding one box at a time if I could see who or what the culprit was. I did find one small patch cable that was touchy and replaced it with another. It helped but the Marshall was still making crazy sounds. I pluged my guitar straight in and still the noise. I tried a different guitar and no good either. I moved the amp to another outlet but nada, no good. I instead used a Fender Blues Deville 4x10 as a substitute for the Marshall but that is not what I intended. The Fender is so freakin loud that just to put the volume so that you can hear anything is just way too much for an apartment situation. I hooked it up with a distortion box so I could somewhat control the volume and get distortin out of it. Not the best solition but it worked.

I am not sure what is wrong with the Marshall. Could be the tubes pre or power amp ot maybe the filter caps are blown. Thay are the original caps but no oeakage so I kinda think they are OK. I will swap them with some older tubes I have that still worked when I replaced them and if that does not work I guess I will have to take it to a tech. Thing is here in Southington CT is like not easy to find someone who knows what they are doing and won't rip me off.

It's always something!!

Get that Marshall checked before something REALLY bad happens.

I had one that did that and very soon after, quit altogether. Never found out what it was.

iGet that Marshall checked before something REALLY bad happens.

I had one that did that and very soon after, quit altogether. Never found out what it was.

Thanks. I intend on not using it till I can get it fixed. First I'll try some new tubes and if that does not cut it than it's going to a good tech if I can find one around here.

Thanks. I intend on not using it till I can get it fixed. First I'll try some new tubes and if that does not cut it than it's going to a good tech if I can find one around here.

Good plan. You might get by with some contact cleaner (DeOxit) on the tube pins. With the amp unplugged spray a tube's pins then work that tube in and out to lube the tube socket fully. Repeat for all tubes and see if the scratchy noises are gone when you power back up. It's been sitting a while so dust could be the culprit.

Good plan. You might get by with some contact cleaner (DeOxit) on the tube pins. With the amp unplugged spray a tube's pins then work that tube in and out to lube the tube socket fully. Repeat for all tubes and see if the scratchy noises are gone when you power back up. It's been sitting a while so dust could be the culprit.

I will try that today if I get the chance. I also want to say I never thought of your idea of using it in a two channel vintage style amp. I can use one output of the ab box with distortion pedals in line in to the normal channel and the other output to the reverb channel (Deluxe Reverb) I cab use common effects pedals in line before it gets to the ab box.

Thanks! This is a great idea. This way I can get 90% or more of the vibe I was looking for and I only have to lug around one amp.

Stellar!! Thanks again. I seem to be a bit slow on the uptake these days.

Well CowboyBillyBob, that's why we do what we do.

My three amps are all great and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of them at this time.

I play two telecasters and an ES-175.

The telecasters are as different as they could be.

My first one is a Limited Edition 60th Anniversary made from Ash. It has a great bridge pickup in it. I think it's a custom shop Broadcaster pickup. It's a lot hotter than my other tele which is a '62 Reissue Tele Custom with Custom '60s pickups in it. Those pickup poles are staggered as opposed to the flat poles on the 60th anniversary tele. It's a much more jangly telecaster than the other one.

The ES-175 is the first guitar I ever purchased. Made in 1988 it has mahogony back and sides instead of the usual maple laminate.

Anyway, they all sound so different from each other and are unique in their own right.

My amps include a Fender Custom Shop Two-Tone with a 10X12 speaker arrangement. It's basically a built to the hilt Blues Jr. I love that amp. It suits me fine.

Snapshot2012-06-1218-50-33.jpg

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

The second amp I purchased is a Gibson Les Paul Jr. GA-5. Hand wired, point-to-point. Again sounds great with all three guitars and loves pedals to boot.

Snapshot2009-01-1508-43-17-1.jpg

Snapshot2009-01-1508-39-38.jpg

My third amp is a Fender Custom Shop '57 Deluxe. It's kind of special in that only 300 were made. I dig this thing because it's so different from the other two. It also has a Celestian Blue Alnico speaker in it. So it breaks up a lot easier than other Deluxes.

Snapshot2010-06-2520-33-33.jpg

My next purchace after an acoustic guitar will probably be a Marshall Silver Jubilee or a clone of one. I have a friend who ownes one and it's something to behold.

Pick long and prosper.

I bought a 60th Anniversary Teleocaster as well and there's a huge difference in sound,I took my stickers off like a DA

Guitars067.jpg

The Dirty Boy [thumbup] ..... The meanest sounding amp I have ever owned, and I've had some pretty aggressive rigs

gv1.jpg

I used to own a '71 LP Custom and to be honest the Custom is not my favorite LP but yours looks so killer! Tell me more about it. It just looks like it sounds sweet as sugar. The pick ups are embossed with the Gibson logo and I owned (bought new at the time)a late '60's SG Special with P-90's that I replaced with Gibson humbuckers that had the same embossed logo. That's bringing back some old memories. Did that guitar come with those pups or are they replacements?

When my parents bought me that guitar at Sam Ash I asked the salesman for a guitar with a lot of buttons! How silly and naive was I. He brought me out the Special brand new with case for $180 USD. He also brought out a used '61 LP which was the SG shape at the time. I, being a foolish kid, wanted a new one so I went for the Special. I could have had a '61 LP for $180 bucks! Youth is wasted on the young.

All ways wanted a Marshall but I have two Fender Frontman 212R & a Mustang III Fender Amp

Copyof7-27-11052.jpg

I own a Fender G=DEC 3 which is very similar to the Mustang you own except the Gdec has .mp3 backing tracks and drums. Not MIDI tracks real instruments recorded by real people. It is great fun to play that amp but it seems to be voiced for Fender single coils since my Gibsons just sound too pwerful and distorted with the humbuckers. No matter I use a Tele or Strat with it and like I said it's great fun.

Definitely not frivilous. I think anyone who has more than one amp should own one. I have also used it to channel switch between the two channels of old style two-channel Marshall and Fender amps that do not have channel switching capability - one amp channel for rhythm one for lead. Done.

I want to thank you so much for your idea of using the Radial ABY Box into the two channels of my DRRI (‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue). I don’t know why I never thought of that. The Marshall needed some work to bring it back to snuff and my Fender Blues Deville is just too loud to get any sort of good distortion sound at a low level, even with pedals.

So I thought I would give your idea a try. Here is how I redid my pedal board.

The guitar goes to an MXR Dyna-Comp then to a TS-9 and then into the guitar input on the ABY. Any selection on the ABY box will now have at least these two options. Then output A goes to the MXR Carbon Copy and then to the reverb channel of the DRRI. If the delay pedal is put anywhere else it is out of control when the following distortion options are engaged.

So then from output B on the ABY box it goes to a Boss Blues Driver and then a Boss Super Overdrive into the normal channel on the DRRI.

So now when I want a clean tone it’s channel A. I don’t use the distortion channel B by itself but I kick it in when I need a lead or hard driving tone. What’s great about this is that the clean channel is still on giving the notes and chords in the distortion channel definition. Sort of like a Sparkle Drive if you know what that is.

Bottom line is it sounds fantastic, is extremely versatile, and can control the volume anywhere from my apartment to a club PLUS it’s all with one amp. No need to lug around a second one.

This works so great!!! Thanks Surfpup. I owe you one.

Hey email me your real name OK?

I am Paul Edwards and have no cowboy connections being a New Yorker at birth.

My only set-up for electric guitar atm, I know the guitar is a eye-sore but I have modified it so it sounds ok. The amp on the other hand is killer! Just wish the stomp-box still worked. For acoustic gig's I have a very use-able PA system made up of a Crest XR20 mixer, DBX EQ's, Lexicon FX's, a nice Studio Project's C1 mic and some Berhinger powered speaker's. The speaker's are only so so.... I'll get some Meyer's or something to replace them one day but the rest of the rig is quite nice.

IbanezJackhammerClass5.jpg

My only set-up for electric guitar atm, I know the guitar is a eye-sore but I have modified it so it sounds ok. The amp on the other hand is killer! Just wish the stomp-box still worked. For acoustic gig's I have a very use-able PA system made up of a Crest XR20 mixer, DBX EQ's, Lexicon FX's, a nice Studio Project's C1 mic and some Berhinger powered speaker's. The speaker's are only so so.... I'll get some Meyer's or something to replace them one day but the rest of the rig is quite nice.

IbanezJackhammerClass5.jpg

I get your point but the sound I get now out of one amp is something I have never experienced before. It is quite a different thing than just a guitar into an amp with maybe a stomp box inbetween.

I will have to record a sample to let you hear it. I am very excited by the tone I get from this simple setup.

Tough choice I like small amps now I rarely plug into anything massive anymore although I still have two SLO100 so if I want to get loud I can. I play much smaller venues and already say what? as about every third word from the hearing loss so I don't rattle the windows like I used too.

I have a Black Fender 57 just like Californiaman that sounds pretty sweet. Wonder where the other 298 of them are since they supposedly made 300.

I most often uses either the Egnater Rebel 20 or the Mesa Transatlantic at home for some reason I just like the flexibility and the size as well as the tone.

If I had to pick one of my favorites to play through it would be the Daab Tupelo Honey it has the bluesy southern rock sound down to a art form.

200807_newyorkampshow_3.jpg

But like I said i like the smaller tube amps right now so I have a few different ones floating around [unsure]

IMG_0440.jpg

Bottom line is it sounds fantastic, is extremely versatile, and can control the volume anywhere from my apartment to a club PLUS it’s all with one amp. No need to lug around a second one.

This works so great!!! Thanks Surfpup. I owe you one.

That's awesome. Glad you are digging it. When I did this it was into my silver face DR and I didn't use any other boxes. At the time that amp's channel one had been modified by the guy who now makes Blankenship amps. Basically the tone stack was removed so it was very hot. On about 5 it would scream with a LP. Then I could just adjust the reverb/tremolo channel to match that volume and I had two great sounds. You've taken it to a new level adding pedals to both A and B. I might have to try that myself. [thumbup]

My Line6 Bogner/Alchemist 1x12 atop the Laney 4x10 (either by itself, or plugged into the Laney) is an amazing combo easily "defeating" the Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 (to the left), the Mesa Nomad (2x12, great amp by the way)...as well as our Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, our VoxAC30, and a vintage Randall (DimeBag) head. It's an amazingly under-rated amp. We're saving for a Line6 DT25 head. My son gigged with one last week...it'll go perfect with the Laney cab and I'll get my Alchemist back! The Fender does have a gorgeous clean...just not enough 'crunch'. The Nomad is a friend's and it too is a very impressive beast.

OXPfN.jpg

Did that guitar come with those pups or are they replacements?

The geetar came with everything you see from the Guitar Center in Feb of 1981. It was a one-off made for the NAM Show that year, (so I was told)... I paid $1100 with case.

Apparently that guitar wasnt supposed to be sold to anyone.... Well that's what I was told by an ex GC employee that worked there during that time... It has a pearloid plaque on the back of the headstock that reads "REG. N0 001"

I did a little research on the web and it seems the embossed humbuckers were made in '71 and '72. They quickly disbanded it because dealers were complaining that the neck and bridge pickup would have to be seperate as the screws on the neck are up front towards he neck and the screws on the bridge were on the bridge side. This caused two of the same pups to be different because of the embossing only. I hope I am explaining it well.

In any case they actually may be worth more to a collector than the actual instrument it's on.

Just another reason why you should never sell gear.

Blackstar Ht-5R. A 5 watt amazing amp for $449. I had a Swart 5 Watt that was good, but after playing my friend's Blackstar, I bought one that week. 57 Classics in my 335 get a great blusy sound on the clean channel. My strat with 69 classics in it needs the OD channel with just a touch of OD. My A/E is loud and clean on the clean channel. My National Reso-electric is too new to find all the settings i like. My D-28 will take full volume on the clean channel without changing the tone of the instrument. Not bad for the marshall engineers that took a chance when Marshall didn't want to use them. Nothing against marshall's position on that call...we all expect a marshall to be a marshall.

Archived