Gibson Brands Forums

How to win in a wedding gig ..

EuroAussie

Don't take requests to play ... but give em' 15 mins of Karaoke fame !

So, we had our first wedding gig on Friday nite, in a lovelly old Cheateau infront of some 60 guests, which is just enough without being too much.

We weren't really sure what to expect as they will be all Czech guests (Bride is my singers workmate) and we sort of told them we dont do any Czech songs, but then they repeated thats not why they hired us.... good to know.

Anyway, the gig was a cracking success, where we played three sets and three encores, went way into the night.

But for the final encore one guy asked us if we could play again JC's Personal Jesus and if he could sing, and we thought .... why the hell not. We did this a few times in pub gigs and it was always a winning run, so we gave it a shot.

Suffice to say we hit a home run and it was actually a lot of fun. The trick is to do it just for one song or they will suddenly think theyre the new Robbie Williams and not wanna get off.

I also heard all these horror stories about drunk father in laws and uncles falling over your gear and picking up you guitars, with a warning not to take the best guitar. But I thought stuff it, I wanna sound good so taking the Bird' with me and clenched fist just in case.

Happy to say, we didnt get into any fights at this gig, bofore, during or after ..... although I did have to runaway a few times form the Bride's mother who after a bottle of Moravian red took a bit of a liking to me ... must the the pork pie hat I guess.

Anyway, here's some footage of the new Robbie Williams wanna be. The great thing is that management liked it so much that they will recommend us for future wedding functions, so its a massive win for us, with no blood spilled !

I like Czech and Central European weddings in general as they are highly informal (no never ending speeches) and just basically one good, of' fashioned piss up !

Anybody else have good wedding gig stories ..?

And who says you cant finish a wedding with the saddest song of the night !

"Creep" Interesting song selection for a wedding B) The guita sounds really good - are you playing thru an amp or straight into the PA ? And, are you using a DI box? Almost sounds like it has just a hint of a chorus effect going on, just a hint. Last time I played a wedding was all electric - strat and les paul, early 70's, which is a lost decade to me. Notice that there is just the two of you? Like the karoke idea - I think, although probably best towards the end of the night, and like you say - limit the participation.

It is cool it worked out for you because weddings and such affairs can really be a challenge.

We played one wedding and I would never do another one. We did everything we could. We worked out some new more wedding suitable tunes and even brought in a cello player to help us out. But in the end, I would rather deal with the meanest, cheapest, ugliest club owner in the world than the parents of a bride and groom.

Thanks a lot folks!

Dan - I'm playing just into my Marshall AS100D which often punches above its weight. Had it sitting just to left of us, waist high. The venue had really good acoustics and just the right size not to require a PA.

I run the Bird (infinit matrix pup) into an Aura spectrum DI and Zoom G3 effects box, which as you noticed correctly had some room reverb and during climax some chorus that I added for a while.

To be honest we never had any ambition to do weddings, and won't pursue it. There is quite reasonable money admittedly in weddings but for us its always just about playing as a hobby and fun.

We made it clear that we play what we play, but that's why they chose us, as we refuse to do most of the standards. We sort of created a bit of a 'positioning' on the scene with this approach.

The thing with Czech weddings is that they are very relaxed, and I found all the folks were highly repectful and appreciative. They just wanted to enjoy themselves. Maybe its because most of them were country folk from the town where the bride was born.

Anyway, we would definitely consider another one, as long as we get to do it 'our way' .. ;-)

was on mobile earlier, just had a chance to hear the clips on the main machine, bird sounds nice, man.

Thanks mate, actually forgot to mention that after we fiished our first encore a Czech guy from the brides town, who is sort of like the local music hero played a few traks (good stuff too) and I had a chance for the first time to actually hear the Bird from a listeners point of view. I thought, bloody hell, this guitar realy does sound good. Just very full and rich but not muddy at all (unlike a plugged in Martin for example). Its always a bit different when youre in front rather then behind the git.

You guys are cool. I don't know that I'd have the nerve/guts to play a wedding...lol....Folks want everything just right for their wedding day, and I'm a long ways from being "just right." It's a sweet gig if you can play at the level needed, and you guys obviously can do that. Nice stuff. [thumbup]

BTW, I always enjoy seeing your "live at the bar" videos. That's real music in a real setting.

You guys are cool. I don't know that I'd have the nerve/guts to play a wedding...lol....Folks want everything just right for their wedding day, and I'm a long ways from being "just right." It's a sweet gig if you can play at the level needed, and you guys obviously can do that. Nice stuff. [thumbup]

BTW, I always enjoy seeing your "live at the bar" videos. That's real music in a real setting.

Agree with MP, you guys really get it together whereever you play...wedding looked tops..I'm happy if I get through my song in the kitchen in front of the zoom.

MP / FB - cheers guys, but you know, we just get out there and do our thing, we didnt treat it as 'wedding gig'. In fact it felt a lot like our standard pub gig. Its a bit nerve wracking the first few times but once you are comfortable with your material and have good chemistry with you musical partner you just focus on delivery. That is the biggest fun, when you dont have to worry about whats the next chord ...... having said that I did stuff up the 2nd chord on the Creep intro jumping a fret ...lol .. !

Creep was terrific, EA. Plugged in, it still just sounds like a Gibson -- right on the money.

Glad you enjoyed it Tiny. Ive said it before but Ill say it again, its the Fishman Matrix / Aura Sepctrum combo that is the trick ..

Glad to see you guys are still holding forth! And it's good to get a gig on your own terms by your own merit. One request: better camera placement so we can see you and the guitar!

Hey Buc, we actually had the camera facing us on the bar for the first 'mellow' pre-dinner drinks set. But then moved it to the side as the dance floor (and bar) got pretty busy as the night went on.

Here's a couple from earlier in the evening, with hopefully more acceptable camera placement .. ;-)

Archived