Gibson Brands Forums

Static,pop and crackle

Clew In

Hey,

I have been having trouble with my guitar making a crackle & pop sound when touching the strings or bridge. I took the cover off to look at the wires and this is what I found. The connector for the neck pup has the shield wire not connected or pulled out of the plastic male connector to the board.

The funny thing is I though it was my amp and I took my amp head in to the store for a check. They used a new LP off the shelf and it snapped and crackle also ordered me a new amp and it did not fix the problem. Prompted me to check a little closer. Maybe they had a bad run of pup connectors.

Rock On!

Tom

post-43998-032727500 1345404220_thumb.jpg

Guest Rabs Vista

Hey,

I have been having trouble with my guitar making a crackle & pop sound when touching the strings or bridge. I took the cover off to look at the wires and this is what I found. The connector for the neck pup has the shield wire not connected or pulled out of the plastic male connector to the board.

The funny thing is I though it was my amp and I took my amp head in to the store for a check. They used a new LP off the shelf and it snapped and crackle also ordered me a new amp and it did not fix the problem. Prompted me to check a little closer. Maybe they had a bad run of pup connectors.

Rock On!

Tom

So 2 guitars and 2 amps? Sounds like you're no closer to sigling either out as the cause.

If it were me I'd remove the board and connectors and hard wire it the old fashioned way.

Is the bridge connected to earth properly?

• 1 month later...

Update!

I took my guitar to a shop that Gibson has listed on this site as authorized warranty repair. The fellow fixed it within five minutes and it cured most of the problem except small amount of static. They told me to use the dryer sheets.

The fellow at the shop said I should let them do a new set up on it and I agreed. When I went to pick up my guitar The low e had open fret buzz. The fellow at the shop took my guitar and said the nut was cut too low and he filled it in. He mentioned I should let them change the nut to bone as the plastic were not very good and would wear out. It is hard for me to believe that the nut will wear out and the corian is not hard enough. My guitar is three months old. I think the shop filed the low e to low and I am stuck with it.

Should I have them change the nut to a bone?

Thanks

Tom

Update!

I took my guitar to a shop that Gibson has listed on this site as authorized warranty repair. The fellow fixed it within five minutes and it cured most of the problem except small amount of static. They told me to use the dryer sheets.

The fellow at the shop said I should let them do a new set up on it and I agreed. When I went to pick up my guitar The low e had open fret buzz. The fellow at the shop took my guitar and said the nut was cut too low and he filled it in. He mentioned I should let them change the nut to bone as the plastic were not very good and would wear out. It is hard for me to believe that the nut will wear out and the corian is not hard enough. My guitar is three months old. I think the shop filed the low e to low and I am stuck with it.

Thanks

Tom

Not sure I understand, but regardless:

If you paid the shop to do a set-up or action job, and they worked on the nut, they should be fixing it rather than charging you for a replacement.

A "full" set-up usually includes filing down the nut if it is new, because they are usually to high out of the box.

Many players like to have the nuts replaced with bone as an upgrade, becauae bone is seen to sound better, and maybe look better. It isn't because plastic or corian is not durable. And bone is cheap to buy anyway, so why not use it?

Update!

Thanks

Tom

Since your guitar is still under warranty why don't you have him replace the poorly cut corian nut with a new corian nut. I am not so sure the bone would be better. Partly because there are inconsistancies with an organic bone nut plus you would have to pay for it.

Corian is a great alternative. Martin uses it on most of their guitars, even the high end ones. That has to say something for Corian. Many luthiers prefer Corian due to its consistancy. Besides I doubt you will hear any difference.

Not sure I understand, but regardless:

If you paid the shop to do a set-up or action job, and they worked on the nut, they should be fixing it rather than charging you for a replacement.

A "full" set-up usually includes filing down the nut if it is new, because they are usually to high out of the box.

Many players like to have the nuts replaced with bone as an upgrade, becauae bone is seen to sound better, and maybe look better. It isn't because plastic or corian is not durable. And bone is cheap to buy anyway, so why not use it?

I took my guitar in to have a ground issue fixed and they talked me into a professional set up which I paid for. They must have cut the nut too low and it has caused a buzz issue on low e. They did fill that cut in with some type of glue filler and were telling me I should purchase a bone nut. I still have a small bit of buzz but not like it was before.

I am just starting out playing guitar and I am trying to figure all this stuff out.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom

I took my guitar in to have a ground issue fixed and they talked me into a professional set up which I paid for. They must have cut the nut too low and it has caused a buzz issue on low e. They did fill that cut in with some type of glue filler and were telling me I should purchase a bone nut. I still have a small bit of buzz but not like it was before.

I am just starting out playing guitar and I am trying to figure all this stuff out.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom

Cowboy Billy Bob is right- your guitar is still under warranty, so to spite the fact you paid for a set-up, you shouldn't have to worry either way. Set-ups are not covered, but defects are. And a set-up means you should have it right.

Either way, at worst replacing a nut is not expensive or something you should worry about.

The lower the nut is cut, the lower the action is on the whole guitar. So if you have a little buzz that isn't really a problem, it likely means you have low action which is good. Again, it is something you can change in the future with little expence and no damage done.

I would not be concerned with what the nut is made of at this point, and I tend to agree with what is said above. I'll say for myself, I don't ever do "upgrades" to the nut unless I am taking it off anyway. And I am a tone freak if there ever was one.

Archived