Gibson Brands Forums

Buying guitars online

Sutoria

Guys, hope you can help me out here. I wanna buy a guitar online; it suits me better, that's the thing. But I don't know many online guitar shops. Mr Rabs suggested musician's friend which is great, but I want to look at more before I buy an expensive guitar. The only other one I know is music zoo. Any pointers, guys? Thanx. Alexandros James :-({|=

On the rare occasion I might buy online, I like those retailers that show actual pictures of the specific individual instruments for sale - MF/GC/etc only show standard stock adverting pics.

These are well regarded here - Sweetwater, Wildwood, MusicZoo, Rainbow, and all show actual pics of the specific individual instruments for sale and all have good return policies - very important when buying online.

Also, Fullers - although they can't show their Gibson stock online, but they'll work with you by email/phone.

Like many others, I am extremely cautious about buying valuable items over the inter-thing

Musical instruments in particular...I would be wary across continents...less so by road post

Having bought 3 Gibsons seperately after much research...each transaction went like clockwork

Guitars delivered perfect...set up...no problems whatsoever...

V

:-({|=

I got my trad from guitar center, which they ordered from their distribution center and had it sent to the store so technically it was an online order just done in store. My first one had issues but they took it back and got a second one that was perfect. I don't worry about online orders from trusted dealers as they will back you up with any issues. It helps that GC is 1.5 miles down the road too.

Guys, hope you can help me out here. I wanna buy a guitar online; it suits me better, that's the thing. But I don't know many online guitar shops. Mr Rabs suggested musician's friend which is great, but I want to look at more before I buy an expensive guitar. The only other one I know is music zoo. Any pointers, guys? Thanx. Alexandros James :-({|=

My experience with purchasing a guitar or amp online has been costly..I figured that if I purchase a guitar online i would save the TN 9.5% sales tax.. I could not have been more wrong. After calculating the cost of sending guitars back because of defects or problems with the neck and the time i lost playing..It was not worth it. I purchased an 800 dollar guitar from music123.com and got 2 defective guitars, so there is 50 bucks to ship them back. I also purchased guitars that i did not like because of the feel or tone etc. another 200 bucks.. My suggesting is take the ride to guitar center or sam ash..and try the guitar out and see how you like it..the feel, tone, and you can inspect the neck etc. TRY OUT THE GUITAR! hope this helped

I've not really had a problem with buying mail order or online. I do like Sweetwater's web site. they have hires photos w/serial numbers, so you can see the actual one you want to have htme ship out. I got my SG Standard from them, and I couldn't have been happier with the experience.

I though that returns are usually covered if defective by the RA from many of these stores,

I had a problem with my Emperor Regent, had a finish crack when I got it (Musicians Friend) The return ship was covered by MF and they replaced it and the process took less than 2 weeks. No complaints.

I've also bought a lot of stuff from EM Shorts in Kansas and they were always EXCELLENT to deal with.

I like to try before I buy too but, I've always been disappointed with the condition of the instruments at GC and the local stores, will never stock anything I'd actually want to buy...

GuitarCenter Platinum <platinum.guitarcenter.com> also posts high res pics of the exact guitar you would be buying (ser# is posted). However... be aware that these guitars are in the stores, and each store handles their platinum guitars differently. The pics were taken when it came in from Gibson, and are all 'perfect'. That being said, some stores have them in general stock (people are playing them every day) and some have them safely stored out of reach. If you find one that you like from the pics, call the store and ask to talk to the platinum manager. You can grill them on the condition of the guitar, and let them know that if it isn't perfect, you will be returning it. I found them all to be honest. They don't want to go through all the shipping hassle if they know you might not be happy with the guitar. I bought a Classic Custom this way 6 months ago, and it was as perfect as the manager said it was.

good luck!

What guitar are you looking to buy? Some sites focus on specific guitars. For instance Maury's Music is the place to go for a Martin guitar with the best prices. If it's a Gibson than I don't know of a specific place but ZZSounds, Sweetwater, and 123Music are good sites I have received great service from them. I never bought a guitar online. I like to play what I am buying first unless it is a cheapo guitar say less than $750 USD.

Even though I went into a Guitar Center to buy a cheap Epiphone Dot {less than $500) only to realize the guitar sucked. I wound up spending over a grand on a Gibson Midtown Standard w/Bigsby. Nothing beats hands on.

What are you looking to buy?

Hey guys, thanx for all the replies. I'm looking for a Gibson Nighthawk 2011 and a Gibson Tom Delonge ES335. Any chance any of you know where I can get one from? When I find the time, which is not now, I'll pull up a research on both guitars on all the websites you guys gave. Hopefully, It'll turn up with something. [thumbup] [thumbup]

I have bought from Guitar Center, Musicians Friend and Sweetwater. The Sweetwater experience was top notch. My last purchase was from MF only because I wanted a Les Paul Studio that was exclusive with GC/MF. Not sure I will buy from them again if I can help it. Very impersonal experience. Sweetwater obviously puts in the time to properly train their associates. Also nice to be able to pick out a guitar from a mutiple view gallery. Most of us will have good / bad experiences with dealers so my advice is just make sure you buy from someone with a "no questions asked" / "no hassle", cash refund(minus initial shipping costs, usually about 25$) return policy.

Just purchased a 2001 Les Paul Standard from Music Zoo. Received it Thursday. 100% of what Jessica told about it. A few surface scratches & one tiny ding. the case as well is in excellent condition. Brought the guitat to my technician & could'nt believe the condition & how well it was setup & played. This one is a keeper. So the bottom line Is I highly recommend the Music Zoo.

Good Luck

Paul

I highly recommend Wildwood Guitars in CO. Their website has hires pics and a number of the guitars have videos so you can hear them. They set up your guitar with whatever strings you want and throw in a T-shirt to protect the neck. Both my guitars arrived safe and sound. Great business with outstanding customer service.

• 5 months later...

This is absolutely NOT TRUE and I don't appreciate having found this falsehood on a public forum. We are one of Martin's most-trusted dealers and we will not allow this to go on without correction. I tried contacting you privately with no response, and that brought me here.

- Maury Rutch,

President, Maury's Music Inc.

I bet you won't do it any more!

Don't make me go find the screen shot of it!

I did it once and altho the dealer I got it from is a reputable one and I have no complaints about them I still wouldn't do it again...better to see it and work a deal on the spot and know what your getting into before the long shipping times, the e-mails the would should couldas the shipping backs..etc etc etc.

This is absolutely NOT TRUE and I don't appreciate having found this falsehood on a public forum. We are one of Martin's most-trusted dealers and we will not allow this to go on without correction. I tried contacting you privately with no response, and that brought me here.

- Maury Rutch,

President, Maury's Music Inc.

O.K. Maury - the comment's gone. If you remove your quote of it, it should be gone forever. Lessons learned all around. (Winking)

Archived