Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Favorite Gibson Guitar

badbluesplayer

I have had several Gibson guitars over the years, and I own 3 of them right now...a 2002 Les Paul Special Faded, a 1999 SG Special, and a 2010 LEs Paul Studio 50's Tribute with P90's. They are all quite different, and I like them all...but I am really starting to LOVE the SG...the neck is fat, the tone and playability is just great and it is really well made, with a single piece body.

I formerly owned a '68 Les Paul Custom and a '74 Les Paul Custom, and I would not mind having either of those back again, but there is no way I could afford either of them now.

FWIW, the LP Special and the Studio are really great players in their own right...

But my favorite is one that I can't even play yet-it needs repair to the fret board. It's a round hole archtop L3 from 1924. Not many of those around any more.

Mine looks very much like this one, although this is a '27...

http://www.vintageandrare.com/product/Gibson-L-3-1927-224

mark

Oddly enough, my favorite Gibson isn't even a real Gibson.

I KNOW..... Super cliche, But the Slash clone from AFD

Not that Les Pauls and SG's were endangered at this point, but their mainstream use was on the decline,

I think that this seminal rock album and said guitarist helped breathe some life back into the model.

Slash_03_Derrig59.jpg

Well...

I'd have to say two electrics, anyway: The ES175 and the SG. In third place, the 335.

Those three, to me at least, cover about any sorta playing you want to do. They're just not as fancy as some.

As for acoustics ... probably the AJ in an AE version, although I haven't had my hands on a small body Gibbie in ages... But that's an entirely different tale.

m

When I saw my favourite Stone-Brian Jones playing the first Firebird I'd seen-the beautiful '64 Firebird VII he used on the Ed Sullivan Show-I started a lifelong love of that model.I could've bought onein the mid 70s for only $400 but was broke and didn't have the sense to go to the bank for a loan. The SG bodied,white '61 Les Paul Custom that Jimi played on the **** Cavett Show is also on my wish list.I could've bought one of those too-in mint condition no less-along with a factory covered late 60s Marshall 1959 Plexi stack with White "Elephant Hide" Naugahide and blue grille cloth as a package deal for only $1200 in the mid 70s also.Stupid like I didn't go for a loan to get that too.The value of these 2 guitars and the Marshall is through the roof these days and I still kick myself daily for not jumping at the chances when I had them.Jimi's Christmas motif Flying V is also right up there as a GAS inducer.

Even though I didn't get those lovely Gibsons when I had the chance,I did get an Epi 3 pup SG bodied Les Paul Custom with gold hardware and an Epi Firebird V which sounds just like a mid 60s SG.Both these are just great guitars and sound incredible through my 1983 JCM 800 2204 stack.The Les Paul is fabulous even for jazz when played through my Blues Jr.Some day I hope to be able to get the vintage Gibby versions of these,maybe I could sell a kidney on the black market...lol.

Oddly enough, my favorite Gibson isn't even a real Gibson.

I KNOW..... Super cliche, But the Slash clone from AFD

Not that Les Pauls and SG's were endangered at this point, but their mainstream use was on the decline,

I think that this seminal rock album and said guitarist helped breathe some life back into the model.

Slash_03_Derrig59.jpg

I think it is very interesting that Dave Meneketti of Y&T was playing LPs before GnR was even a band..... But yes, Slash brought the thing back into the loop. Meneketti and Tesla's Frank Hannon were playing Gibsons, but neither had the impact that GnR and Slash did.

My favorite Gibson?

alive__75.jpg

Contrary to popular myth Les Pauls were not dead when AFD came out. Lot's of guys played them.

AV2a.jpg

John_Sykes_1984.jpg

x9JGCu6o8dupa69wsiQl5ugRo1_400.jpg

zakk%20wylde1987.jpg

The difference between all these guy and Slash was Slash created an image that was even more cartoonist and marketable. Never underestimate the power of a good hat.

Archived