Gibson Brands Forums

cut my finger

EVOL!

I always try to be careful when wielding a knife in the kitchen since I sliced the tip of my ring finger years and years ago and could not play guitar for two full weeks. This morning I was slicing an apple over a bowl and against my better judgement I had quarter of the apple in my hand. The apple slipped as I was removing some core and I sliced on the side, near the tip, of the ring finger of my fretting hand. It does not appear to be a place where I fret, but it is high enough and deep enough (it bled like an MF) that I won't be playing guitar for a short time. So mad at myself for being so stupid. Only consolation is that we aren't rehearsing for two weeks because both my drummer and I are taking annual family vacations.

Anyone ever use those liquid band-aids? Do they work for deeper cuts?

NOOOOOOOO

Who's gonna freak on the squares now?

Looks like i'll be taking the cue from Riff and play a lot of slide.

Btw, how's my small stone looking? No rush since i'll be out of town for a while starting thursday.

Currently recovering from a severe hangover after playing a show last night. Gotta give my brains a few hours before I solder, but I'll try and knock it out tonight

I think I need to do that to my own Small Stone. I'm noticing the volume drop more lately.

EVOL got a boo-boo!

Regarding the liquid band-aid, because I can't see it I can't say, but personally I am old fashioned. I would use liquid band aid on a skin tear, as in I can see the deepest part of the wound (without prying it open) with my naked eye plainly. I will assume it is deeeeep.

Keep it clean with soap and water, use hydrogen peroxide once to get out any deep nasties and top off with hot salt water before applying a cover. There are suture kits that don't require actual suturing. Like mini-band aids, use those for two days to help the skin close up at the base of the wound. Replace the suture thingie before bed and mid-day on day two, cleaning with soap and water, but don't be too rough (we want it to close) and dry well before reaplying.

If there is any way for you to get tagaderm at a pharmacy, use it when you absolutely have to get that hand wet in the first 5 days. If you have no tagaderm, then a glove (finger cut-off portion)with tape would be good. Again I am assuming you have a DEEP cut and don't want sutures. Keeping it dry will help it heal. I prefer to keep wounds open to air once the deeper portion of the incision is adhesed, so day three you can leave the no stich sticky band aid off but be careful.

Good luck, and keep an eye on the surrounding site. Redness, inflamation and pain may be normal for a half day but your finger should be normal looking by the next morning with pain only at the wound site.

Oh ****, my mommy just came out. My bad!

- Izzy, RN, BSN

Knocking on wood, I've never cut my finger. But I burned my index finger so bad I couldn't bend it for a month. I'd just wrap it tight with some medical tape and play through the pain. I felt like Chris Poland, I couldn't play barre chords with my thumb and my leads were a bit of a challenge, but it healed without a hitch. A cut, though. You might not want to keep irritating it before it knits.

Be More Careful!!! [biggrin]

- Izzy, RN, BSN

I was gonna say, Izzy must be a nurse or she slept in a Holiday Inn last night! [lol] We needed you around when the guy had a gunshot wound and was scared to go to the hospital a couple years ago. That was some scary sh!t!

EVOL got a boo-boo!

Regarding the liquid band-aid, because I can't see it I can't say, but personally I am old fashioned. I would use liquid band aid on a skin tear, as in I can see the deepest part of the wound (without prying it open) with my naked eye plainly. I will assume it is deeeeep.

Keep it clean with soap and water, use hydrogen peroxide once to get out any deep nasties and top off with hot salt water before applying a cover. There are suture kits that don't require actual suturing. Like mini-band aids, use those for two days to help the skin close up at the base of the wound. Replace the suture thingie before bed and mid-day on day two, cleaning with soap and water, but don't be too rough (we want it to close) and dry well before reaplying.

If there is any way for you to get tagaderm at a pharmacy, use it when you absolutely have to get that hand wet in the first 5 days. If you have no tagaderm, then a glove (finger cut-off portion)with tape would be good. Again I am assuming you have a DEEP cut and don't want sutures. Keeping it dry will help it heal. I prefer to keep wounds open to air once the deeper portion of the incision is adhesed, so day three you can leave the no stich sticky band aid off but be careful.

Good luck, and keep an eye on the surrounding site. Redness, inflamation and pain may be normal for a half day but your finger should be normal looking by the next morning with pain only at the wound site.

Oh ****, my mommy just came out. My bad!

- Izzy, RN, BSN

Thanks for the RN advice. The liquid bandage I bought is New-Skin. It got pretty high ratings on Amazon. After I take my weekly shower tonight (tee-hee) I am going to try it out.

I did wash it out first thing and got a band-aid on it pretty quickly. It needed the pressure to stop bleeding. A little anti-bacterial ointment, one band-aid, and a finger cot later, it's is OK. It did start bleeding again earlier when I was trying to corral my son. He likes to twist and turn when I change his diaper or try to button up his onesie. That stung like a b!tch. Hopefully the liquid bandage will seal it so the healing can begin because these finger cots are annoying.

I always try to be careful when wielding a knife in the kitchen since I sliced the tip of my ring finger years and years ago and could not play guitar for two full weeks.

I feel your pain. About 6-7 years ago I was using a kitchen mandolin (and no, it's not a musical instrument http://www.amazon.com/Oneida-Polished-Mandolin-Interchangable-Slicer/dp/B0009HHZ20/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1345417876&sr=1-1&keywords=oneida+mandoline )

As I was approaching that "hmmm, I should probably be using the safety thing to protect my fingers from the BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE!, yeah you got it. At that very moment I took off a very thin layer of skin on my right hand thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers. Oval shaped, maybe 1/8" long, half that wide. BLEEED LIKE A MUTHA!!! Emergency room here I come.

Good news. When you're right handed and have difficulty signing in with your left hand because you're BLEEDING you move ahead of the 25 other people in the lobby LOL.

Bad news. No guitar playing for a few weeks. Can't imaging if it had been my fretting hand (Tony Iommi anyone?).

You'd be amazed what you can do with three fretting fingers though - good time to work on the pinkie's skill. [biggrin]

Not to toot my own horn, but my pinkie is pretty tough. Years ago I got heavy into odd chord voicings and lots of suspended/add9/7th/add4 type chords which is a good way to give that finger a workout.

Currently recovering from a severe hangover after playing a show last night. Gotta give my brains a few hours before I solder, but I'll try and knock it out tonight

I remember those days. And that was back when people could smoke in bars so you'd wake up smelling like an ash tray mixed with stale beer, you mouth tasting like the bottom of a dumpster, and either a pounding headache or peanut butter brain.

How was the show? Was this your first with the new band?

Sorry to hear that about the cut. Everytime I get a deeper cut, and go to the Drs. or ER, they super glue it back together now. I started doing that after I cleaned cuts with antiseptic. Works for me at home too. So far, the cut grows back together and I don't have weeks with it open & a healed slit in my hand or fingers.

Not a nurse or anything so I only know what I do. You wouldn't want to seal a wound with germs inside however. That's why it isn't recommended to use antibiotic ointment w/ puncture or deep wounds.

Aster

I remember those days. And that was back when people could smoke in bars so you'd wake up smelling like an ash tray mixed with stale beer, you mouth tasting like the bottom of a dumpster, and either a pounding headache or peanut butter brain.

How was the show? Was this your first with the new band?

The show got canceled so three of the bands from the bill including my own moved the party over to our buddies studio. We smoke in the studios and partied until the sun came up so yeah I woke up smelling like a homeless guy.

It was a lot of fun but we used our friend's amps and drums and it was not working for us. We had our gear packed up and everything but the room was only big enough for one setup. We played horribly but everyone said we sounded good. We might have sounded alright but I thought we sucked. The other bands kicked *** though.

One evening while drying my sharpest chef's knife I momentarily forgot what I was doing and turned to talk to my company who had showed up.As quick as a wink the knife slipped and I got a really deep cut on my left index finger in the exact place where it contacts the fret board.I had it bandaged for several days and it wouldn't even begin to close over.As a last resort I got some brush-on Crazy Glue and slathered on several coats of it,waiting several minutes to make sure that the previous coat was dry enough.I left it alone and didn't play for several days and by the time the layers of glue wore off,it had healed without even the slightest trace of a scar.I found out later from a friend who works in an emergency room that it's used in hospitals to help close surgical wounds and also was initially used in mortuaries to seal the lips and eyelids of corpses.

Dude that sucks so bad!!!

If I do say so I'm pretty competent in the kitchen so I can totally relate and have nicked myself many times. If it's really deep there really is no choice other than a stitch or 2. But if it's only moderately deep I have been able to close it with a tight band-aid,, strategically placed to hold the wound closed. The liquid crap won't do squat if it's really deep , it needs some compression to hold it together. If the band-aid trick don't work, the only option is a stitch.

The liquid stuff works ok on the smaller wounds and is really good after a few days of healing and being held together with a band-aid.

I have only bought liquid bandage once. It smells just like crazy glue so that is what I have used on many occasions. I now use only crazy glue when bonding my skin back together,, lol.

Works great for hang nails.

I don't think liquid anything will help with a deep wound.

Good luck man,, and heal fast. Sounds like it was a timely wound so you're lucky,,.lol.

Funny how when we injure ourselves the first thing we think of is,, "will I still be able to play????" ...lol

Happy healing. [thumbup]

Archived