Gibson Brands Forums

Attention New Acoustic

E-minor7

Stop all wars – shut down lousy corrupt politicians and unworthy debate-levels in all elections. Bring an end to injustice in court, on the street and in any office – erase poverty, racism and exploitation. Bridge the rainbow of religions and melt down every traditional frontier or social contradiction.

Mute the diffuse talk of different bursts and sissy chat about small birds on the pick-guard.

Bono has purchased a BLACK DOVE ! . . . BonogoesblackDove2.jpg

Bono should focus on fixiing his voice and range rather than getting shiny black guitars to make him look 'good'.

I remember seeing u2 couple years ago in Poland and was shocked to hear how much range he has lost. A few months later I saw Sting and was amazed by how strong his voice is still, and how effortlessly he was hitting those uber high notes.

The Emperor Black Dove Bono, His Majesty The Edge and their reign of gold and purple is too grand a continent for me to take on.

See me mute the minstrels lute in bushes while they march by, , , and acknowledge this jester might be witnessing their opera from a basket of apples when the sun goes down. . . .

i kinda like him , always have .

cant be worlds biggest band if you're sh!t now can ya ?

I am not a U2 fan at all...but if 50% of the world love their music...they must be good at somepoint, I totally agree.

Same with Bon Jovi, Red hot chili pepers, Metalica...all (for my taste) OVERRATED! (yes also metalica!)

Back to the black guitar: It would not say no if I am offered one. I like it!

i kinda like him , always have .

cant be worlds biggest band if you're sh!t now can ya ?

I used to like him BBG. Can't stand the guy now! Saw him interviewed at Glastonbury - it was cringe worthy.

Another thing that gets to me is his endless bleating about what we can do to tackle third world poverty... he's worth more than 1.5 billion dollars!!!! I'm all for people getting rich and enjoying life, but don't be a hypocrite.

Love his Dove though [tongue]

I used to like him BBG. Can't stand the guy now! Saw him interviewed at Glastonbury - it was cringe worthy.

Another thing that gets to me is his endless bleating about what we can do to tackle third world poverty... he's worth more than 1.5 billion dollars!!!! I'm all for people getting rich and enjoying life, but don't be a hypocrite.

Love his Dove though [tongue]

despite having penned many good songs down the years, I simply can't stand U2, wouldn't go see them for free... wouldn't want a single penny of mine to ever enter his wallet. Like you the preaching does my head in, he's on telly asking poor people for their money from their dole cheques while as a billionaire he has given "his time". Phoning pope's and presidents in concerts. There's also the tax question as well, many times it has come up, who knows, but I'm inclined to believe due to the longevity of it that it could be a case where There's no smoke without fire.....

There's ways & means to go about politics in music, his method does little to enthuse me. A pompous, sanctimonious twit of a man who is by many accounts intolerable in person. I guess its as simple as some folk rub you the wrong way, like I obviously do to Jerry K, :D that's case for Bono with me. The edge comes over like quite a nice enough fella though, that movie he did with Jack White and Jimmy Page made him come off rather well, anything I have ever seen of Bono just confirms my opinion of him.

I'd rather see Daniel O'Donnel have his success and he's a real creeper.....

despite having penned many good songs down the years, I simply can't stand U2, wouldn't go see them for free... wouldn't want a single penny of mine to ever enter his wallet. Like you the preaching does my head in, he's on telly asking poor people for their money from their dole cheques while as a billionaire he has given "his time". Phoning pope's and presidents in concerts. There's also the tax question as well, many times it has come up, who knows, but I'm inclined to believe due to the longevity of it that it could be a case where There's no smoke without fire.....

There's ways & means to go about politics in music, his method does little to enthuse me. A pompous, sanctimonious twit of a man who is by many accounts intolerable in person. I guess its as simple as some folk rub you the wrong way, like I obviously do to Jerry K, :D that's case for Bono with me. The edge comes over like quite a nice enough fella though, that movie he did with Jack White and Jimmy Page made him come off rather well, anything I have ever seen of Bono just confirms my opinion of him.

I'd rather see Daniel O'Donnel have his success and he's a real creeper.....

but , is it not better than doing nothing ?

i love the story where bono was on stage in glasgow , and he's giving his speech about third world poverty and wiping debt and all that ..... and he's rhythmically clicking his fingers , like every two seconds ..... and he says (click) every toim (click)oi click moy fingers (click) a child in africa doise(click)

and some fella from the crowd yelled up 'stop f@ckin clickin them then!!!'

but , is it not better than doing nothing ?

Of course, just a case of ways to go about things, I'm quite amused every time I hear another one confess "ye know what I absolutely hate that Bono guy...."

i love the story where bono was on stage in glasgow , and he's giving his speech about third world poverty and wiping debt and all that ..... and he's rhythmically clicking his fingers , like every two seconds ..... and he says (click) every toim (click)oi click moy fingers (click) a child in africa doise(click)

and some fella from the crowd yelled up 'stop f@ckin clickin them then!!!'

That story made the night time news, although it does appear there's a certain element of Urban Legend to it... claims it was picked up by the sound system and could be heard all over the place are unfounded sadly... I like to think it could be true, very typical glaswegian thing to retort with :D

I actually have a deep respect for U2, all four of them.

As a band, they have managed to stay together for a long time and actually get a lot better at it than when they started. I think as a BAND, they set a high standard on how they respect each other, how they support each other, pick up each other's slack, and the efforts they make each time they have a go at it. They might be lucky, but it seems they have also done what it takes to get to the point of where they are at, and I don't mean huge fame, I mean making any sort of living at it, staying productive.

I also think it is kinda cool and amazing how U2, Bono in particular, has "invented" this sort of rock and roll image that tries to do good. It's kinda hard to imagine something like that without them. They make it fit. I wouldn't call it a bad thing, that's for damned sure.

I don't buy into the idea that they are hypocrites, as though a man has to be perfect to justify doing good. If that were the case, no one should try and do any good at all. Attempting to discount the efforts a guy has made or makes because of things they haven't done is hypocritical. I feel like we can laugh, but to actually try and discredit them doesn't have merit with me. There are a LOT of souls that are better off because of the efforts made by them, and I have a DEEP respect for that.

I like U2 as a band, but I just wish they would start writing decent music again. In my personal opinion, give or take a couple singles here and there, they havent released a half decent record since the early 90's.

A friend of mine played their latest CD while we were on a road trip and I just couldnt believe how many less than mediocre fillers were on that record. I feel disappointed when bands let their standard and quality down so much for the sake of releasing a contractual album.

Love a lot of their music from the 80's though.

a agree , its been a while since they put anything life changing out ,bands seem to run out of desire/hunger.... whatever you wanna call it . but there arent very many (if any) bands who have taken much of an upward curve ,creatively ,after a long time at it .

flashes of brilliance will always appear , but , not an entire albums worth . be interested to hear of anyone who folk think have made a major comeback to rival the music that made them big.

a agree , its been a while since they put anything life changing out ,bands seem to run out of desire/hunger.... whatever you wanna call it . but there arent very many (if any) bands who have taken much of an upward curve ,creatively ,after a long time at it .

flashes of brilliance will always appear , but , not an entire albums worth . be interested to hear of anyone who folk think have made a major comeback to rival the music that made them big.

Not sure if the following three artists/ bands made a revival but for me Radiohead, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey have consistently across their career been keeping the creative bar very high with quality releases one after another. All of them have been going at least for 20 years plus now, not as long as U2, but then U2 pretty much went backwards after the first ten years IMO.

Then you have a band like Muse who maybe is only around 10 years old but they seem to be getting stronger and stronger with each release and havent reached their artistic peak yet.

I tend to like what I have heard of thier later stuff than the early stuff.

I am not a good judge or example though, because there really aren't many songs that I have liked from them that much first listen...it usually has to grow on me.

And I haven't bought or listened to a full record of theirs sinse..."Under a Blood Red Sky".

As a band, they have managed to stay together for a long time and actually get a lot better at it than when they started. I think as a BAND, they set a high standard on how they respect each other, how they support each other, pick up each other's slack, and the efforts they make each time they have a go at it. They might be lucky, but it seems they have also done what it takes to get to the point of where they are at, and I don't mean huge fame, I mean making any sort of living at it, staying productive.

I also think it is kinda cool and amazing how U2, Bono in particular, has "invented" this sort of rock and roll image that tries to do good. It's kinda hard to imagine something like that without them. They make it fit. I wouldn't call it a bad thing, that's for damned sure.

I don't buy into the idea that they are hypocrites, as though a man has to be perfect to justify doing good. If that were the case, no one should try and do any good at all. Attempting to discount the efforts a guy has made or makes because of things they haven't done is hypocritical. I feel like we can laugh, but to actually try and discredit them doesn't have merit with me. There are a LOT of souls that are better off because of the efforts made by them, and I have a DEEP respect for that.

I agree with just about all of this. If you had to be perfect in order to do any good, no good would get done. I wish more musicians and artists would be so eager to use their platform to bring some relief to the worst-off people in the world, so I won't nitpick the manner in which Bono does so.

Musically, they've never quite done it for me. Not a swipe at them, but with a handful of exceptions their sound just doesn't suit my ears.

Love the guitar, though. That's just bad-***.

Hi Stein, I'm not saying he hasn't done ANY good. However, he/his charitable foundation ONE has been found to be VERY hypocritical in the past. I recall an article in the Times or Telegraph that showed the tax returns of ONE. They received something like $15m in donations and less than $200,000 of that made it to good causes. Almost $10m spent on executive and employee salaries!! In saying that, I'm sure he has given much more to charity than I have! I know that's an isolated example too. The press are all too quick to jump on a negative story while many positive stories are not reported.

Not sure if the following three artists/ bands made a revival but for me Radiohead, Nick Cave and PJ Harvey have consistently across their career been keeping the creative bar very high with quality releases one after another. All of them have been going at least for 20 years plus now, not as long as U2, but then U2 pretty much went backwards after the first ten years IMO.

Then you have a band like Muse who maybe is only around 10 years old but they seem to be getting stronger and stronger with each release and havent reached their artistic peak yet.

i'll give you the first three , especially cave , who's later work i'm a major fan of , and actually cant stand his earlier stuff . tom waits has sprung to my mind since my last post , radiohead , so far the only BAND though .

muse has a while to go .

u2 were 22 years into their career and made 'pop' which , even if you dont like it , was pushing things forward .

i sound like some major U2 fan , i'm just sayin is all :-)

Archived