Gibson Brands Forums

The Stooges

brundaddy

Although I've never really gave the Stooges a good listen outside I Wanna Be your Dog and Lust For Life, I've blindly put them in the same category as The Velvet Underground. Bands that I'm supposed to like, but could never really get into.

I like your style, brother. This is a classic that paved the way for so many great rock albums. One of my musical heroes John Cale produced it so you know it's got to be killer. Would also like to add that Scott Asheton is very under recognized for holding down the fort on those three Stooges albums.

If you want a special treat check out the John Cale mixes. They have a little more edge and put the album closer to White Light/White Heat, sonically.

Ron Asheton forever!

I remember first encountering this album around 1975, when I was 16 and part of a small group that felt the current music at that time was close to dissapearing up its own a** in a haze of laid-back california cool. There were four abums we listened to over and over that year: The first two MC5 albums, the first New York Dolls album, and and the Stooges. They were all out of print at that time, and we were usually working from second and third generation cassette copies. In our naivete, we belived that the eastern part of America must be a musical promised land because this sort of thing was clearly popular there. How wrong we were!

Re The 3 Stooges: I recently received a box set of 7 DVDs containing over 12 hours of their best movies and material.

Re Iggy and The Stooges: The first time that I heard them I raced out and bought the Stooges album with 1969,Anne,We Will Fall etc. on it and have been listening to them and Iggy ever since.

Archived