Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite chord?

Tiny

Every time I strum a 5th-fret barred A chord on my J-45, I think to myself, that is the chord this guitar was made to play. Every note just sounds right, it rings out dry and sweet without much in the way of overtones, it intonates perfectly, and compresses if I hit it hard. Is there a particular chord that, to your ear, sounds just perfect on your guitar? Does it vary from one instrument to the next?

Hmm, that is tough one, as sooooh many chords ring out best on the Gibsons.

Personally I think open cowboy chords sound best on the Gibbys as that killer midrange really cuts through but still all the notes somehow ring out so balanced.

Which is best .... uf .... thats a tough one, lets see, the open E is great as those open E strings ring out so nicely. The Bluegrass G has so much depth to it, mabybe my favourite two are Cadd9 ... the favouired chord of lates 80's 'rock ballad' standards, 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn' ' Dead or Alive' ...

But I think the chord that really hits the Gibson mojo for me is Dsus2 ....as it has just such a wicked edge to it and that Gibson midrange just cuts through like razorblades ..... so yes, Ill take Dsus2, for today at least.

I have a feeling I might know what is Eminor7th's favourite chord .... :rolleyes: (which btw is also an absdolute beauty)

Just tried that, yeah, it does sound pretty good. Almost as if an open G and C had drunken sat nite fling and that was the offspring ...

E 3

A muted

D 2

G open

B 1

E 3

Here's a snidey video I made using it, I use it with the band quite a bit on the songs we do that shift between G&C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RPmyokUx4

Just tried that, yeah, it does sound pretty good. Almost as if an open G and C had drunken sat nite fling and that was the offspring ...

Just enough of an unresolved sound to keep it interesting, it's great with 2 guitars.... probably the first chord I'll play on any guitar, love it... he also has another deviant C chord which is a bit more of a finger twister

course u dont disgust me PM:)

i never heard that called that before !

, a man who wants to play a neil young song HAS to learn it .

as you say , its a great one for G / C songs

which is what u wouldve called it ...a G/C

Doesn't G/C keep the high e as an e though? Think it's the only discernible difference I can see. To be fair I learned it from Stephan Grossman, he called it the Gary Davis C, so maybe I'm just full of his jargon.

I have a feeling I might know what is Eminor7th's favourite chord .... :rolleyes: (which btw is also an absdolute beauty)

Hehe, I like the E-minor7 a lot, but not sure it's a favorite. When I started, the E-major in all its thunder came in on top.

Nowadays, , , , it's a hard to pick one single position out.

I know a little handful of interesting chords, but maybe the D-major with dropped D takes the prize.

Makes me feel very comfortable and works as the perfect ramp for many a good tune.

PM's thing moved further to a straight G holds some candy also. . .

Hehe, I like the E-minor7 a lot, but not sure it's a favorite. When I started, the E-major in all its thunder came in on top.

Nowadays, , , , it's a hard to pick one single position out.

I know a little handful of interesting chords, but maybe the D-major with dropped D takes the prize.

Makes me feel very comfortable and works as the perfect ramp for many a good tune.

PM's thing moved further to a straight G holds some candy also. . .

Oh you're so right Em7 ..... the open D with dropped d tuning is balltearer, i would go as far as even saying Dsus2 in dropped D tuning. Like the intro to Country Boy that we play, its all around Dsus2 in dropped D, absloute love ripping into this intro, good, good choice .. ! [thumbup]

not favourites...but a couple of quirky ones i'm using in something i'm working on.....022300....that one will scare the horses...very atmospheric to pick around...i can't tell you the context i'm using it in or i'd have to keel you!

and a more friendly chord a C variant...005530.......

cheers

not favourites...but a couple of quirky ones i'm using in something i'm working on.....022300....that one will scare the horses...very atmospheric to pick around...i can't tell you the context i'm using it in or i'd have to keel you!

and a more friendly chord a C variant...005530.......

cheers

you do use some weird chords , i've noticed that , to good effect i have to say .

005530 - cortez the killer chord !

I've always loved the name of that song...but its an NY I don't know well.....must investigate...was it Crazy Horse?

yeah neil and crazy horse , surprised its not a favourite of yours with your penchant for story songs ....

its in the top guitar songs of all time , go check out a live version to really rock out ! killer diller

Archived