Gibson Brands Forums

Memphis Factory Tour

Work in Progress

My fiance surprised me this past weekend with a road trip to Memphis to celebrate our one year countdown to the wedding (8/17/13). She arranged the hotel and a few plans for the weekend.

We went on a factory tour of Gibson Memphis, which was pretty cool. Unfortunately we went on a Saturday, which means that none of the builders were working. However, this allowed us to actually hear what the tour guide was saying. They forbade us from even having cell phones visible on belt clips let alone actually letting us taking pictures or video. The number of guitars on racks though was astonishing. However, the number of guitars that appeared finished but was on the "Scrap" rack was heartbreaking.

After the tour we stumbled upon Martin Music (which I didn't realize was in Memphis), one of the largest PRS retailers. I could've spent a couple days checking out all the PRSi they had available. They let me demo a gorgeous used P22 and it was killer! Fantastic shop, I will be buying from them in the future!

We also caught some live music as well as some good eats. It was a wonderful weekend despite the fees (2/3 the price of the actual room!) the hotel decided to charge us with upon checkout.

What sidearm do you normally carry when going to places like that?

Sorry...couldn't help myself.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by how quaint that area of town was. Granted, I didn't venture TOO far off the beaten path but the touristy areas in downtown were nice. However, on my way to Martin Music, things got a little rough. Overall though, Midtown and Downtown have my stamp of approval.

It might've been safer for Elvis week; cops were everywhere on Beale Street.

Did ya eat at Gus's Chicken?? Blues City Cafe??

No. We had some good brisket at Rendezvous though.

Did you see the ducks parade out of the elevator to the fountain at the Peabody Hotel? My wife's uncle owns the ducks. [smile]

Yeah, well, we tried to see them parade out. We got to the Peabody right at 11 and could barely see anything. Pretty neat tradition though!

Ain't been in Memphis in over 20 years. Before Gibson had a shop there, that I was aware of, anyway.

The ducks are cute. The pastry shop at the Peabody used to be a week's vacation in a one-hour stop for such as their Black Forest cake...

I'm sure it ain't the same place. Beale Street was just getting revisioned then, which probably was a good idea. It still needed a lotta cops then, too.

The Dixon Gallery used to be a favorite stop too...

m

Been to memphis once -- some years ago. Unfortunately for me, it was before I picked up a guitar. I did go to the Peabody and got to see the ducks in a fountain there, but didn't see them come out of the elevator.

It was the middle of the summer -- H-O-T and muggy. It was around 100-101 degrees. Anyway, I got on the elevator at my hotel and said to another fellow there, "Boy, sure is hot," And he bellowed out to me: "You must NOT be from around here. This is cool compared to yesterday!!!" He was right. It had been 106 the day before. Nice city: Great BBQ.

Been to memphis once -- some years ago. Unfortunately for me, it was before I picked up a guitar. I did go to the Peabody and got to see the ducks in a fountain there, but didn't see them come out of the elevator.

It was the middle of the summer -- H-O-T and muggy. It was around 100-101 degrees. Anyway, I got on the elevator at my hotel and said to another fellow there, "Boy, sure is hot," And he bellowed out to me: "You must NOT be from around here. This is cool compared to yesterday!!!" He was right. It had been 106 the day before. Nice city: Great BBQ.

We lucked out. It was fairly cool this past weekend there. Great weather, and yes, great BBQ!

Ain't been back to Memphis in close to 25 years.

Funny how that kinda time and miles erase old relationships.

Ain't likely to go back unless HenryJ needs a grumpy old gray-haired PR guy. <grin>

So... I figure it ain't likely. He's already got my phone number from the old "talk to HenryJ" forum. <bigger grin> Ain't called yet.

Summers there were brutal on folks from the country around here. Nashville generally was more comfortable but still awfully humid and still pretty low altitude.

m

Archived