Gibson Brands Forums

Nirvana

surfpup

In the "music that should be forgotten" category. I'm far from being a Nirvana fanboy but I still like what they did. His lyrics had more to do with the things he saw in the world around him, things like Pennyroyal Tea etc. In the end I think Kurt took himself way too seriously, and in the height of their popularity he lashed out against fans who didn't quite "get" him (In Bloom). If it wasn't for Nirvana I fear I wouldn't have heard bands like Alice In Chains, The Melvins, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots (their music would have been better if Weiland hadn't wrote the lyrics), Smashing Pumpkins, the Pixies, and various other bands I wouldn't have known about or had the chance to listen to.

Cinderella and Kix are decent. I can give Vixen a break. I don't like Stryper. I don't like Winger, although I think Reb is a great player (He's great with Whitesnake). As far as Twisted Sister goes....well, I just have a laugh! I think Jay Jay and Eddie are awesome, though.

I like bands that either have some sort of virtuosic talent (Zeppelin, Rush, most other prog bands, etc), or are more straight-forward but admit and realize that they're not. AC/DC knows they're not. KISS (At least the half I actually respect) knows they're not. Some of these bands seem to act like virtuosos when they're not. That is uncool IMHO.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know...

I can't really pick either option.

While I like some of the stuff that the band did, I wouldn't call them genius.

But I also don't believe they are over rated by any means.

That band paid its dues and as such received the acclaim and admiration deservedly so.

I can't be objective.

It hit me like a bolt, that music.

The first song was Sex Type thing by Stone Temple Pilots. I knew something was happening in music. Then I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit and thought, "I am no longer a kid. I am a teen now." It was more rebellious than GnR (who I liked a lot). I knew Kurt was no Slash as a guitarist but the RAW of his chords made me turn towards the new; STP, Pearl Jam, Veruca Salt, Soundgarden, NIN, Alice in Chains.

Nirvana was handed the crown because he de-throwned Michael Jackson. Having gotten Dangerous for Christmas, thousands of teens exchanged their MJ albums for Nevermind making Nirvana #1 and MJ's Dangerous #2. That was a powerful moment in history. One that Pearl Jam can't touch, nor Alice, nor STP.

[biggrin] As if anyone can when discussing music and the way it makes them feel!

[flapper] Smart a$$! I mean that I see the limitations of their talent but, for no valid reason, my heart swells when I hear them play. My heart should swell to Paganini or at the very least to Hendrix. I feel NOTHING when I hear Hendrix, isn't that awful?!

IMHO Dave Grohl proved himself to be a genius after Nirvana.

Nirvana = genius? Not so much. Influental? yes.

Yes he did. I am more of a Foo Fighters fan than a Nirvana fan. That documentary they did was cool, too.

I can't be objective.

It hit me like a bolt, that music.

The first song was Sex Type thing by Stone Temple Pilots. I knew something was happening in music. Then I saw the video for Smells Like Teen Spirit and thought, "I am no longer a kid. I am a teen now." It was more rebellious than GnR (who I liked a lot). I knew Kurt was no Slash as a guitarist but the RAW of his chords made me turn towards the new; STP, Pearl Jam, Veruca Salt, Soundgarden, NIN, Alice in Chains.

Nirvana was handed the crown because he de-throwned Michael Jackson. Having gotten Dangerous for Christmas, thousands of teens exchanged their MJ albums for Nevermind making Nirvana #1 and MJ's Dangerous #2. That was a powerful moment in history. One that Pearl Jam can't touch, nor Alice, nor STP.

I understand, and accept, that they've been crowned the Kings of Grunge. I'm not questioning Nirvana's popularity, I just wonder when they went from Neopunk to Grunge. To my ears, the difference between STP and Nirvana is so stark they can hardly be lumped into the same genre.

The "Core" album had some definite similarities, before they moved on to a more psychedelic path. Dean is a pretty ballin' guitarist imo.

But STP's arrangements are more complex, the vocal parts have harmony, he's singing a melody line that can be imitated on an instrument (just try transcribing a Cobain vocal line over to piano).

Seems to me Nirvana has more in common with Social Distortion and The Ramones than STP or Peal Jam.

I catch myself diggin a riff or two fro Nirvana from time to time, but I feel they were over-rated. Good for them that they hit it big in their day. They wrote and performed and were in the right place at the right time, but that's my point of view as a musician. Regular music consumers/radio listeners don't see and hear things the way we do when it comes to music. I've never bought any of Nirvana's music.

Genius to me are Who, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Chuck Berry, Eagles, Hendrix.

Genius is a term that very few artists deserve. Hendrix is the only person who really moved things years ahead with his music. Nirvana played punk rock at a time when it was needed most. Clearing out all those horrible glam-metal- hair bands that were ruling MTV in the late 80's. Fantastic songwriting with an aggressive sound was just what the doctor ordered. Finally, looks weren't important.......just good music.

I catch myself diggin a riff or two fro Nirvana from time to time, but I feel they were over-rated. Good for them that they hit it big in their day. They wrote and performed and were in the right place at the right time, but that's my point of view as a musician. Regular music consumers/radio listeners don't see and hear things the way we do when it comes to music. I've never bought any of Nirvana's music.

Genius to me are Who, Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Chuck Berry, Eagles, Hendrix.

I consider Rush to be genius as to the intricacies of their music/lyrics and what they did for progressive rock in general. That. and they sure as hell don't sound like any other band.

I consider Thin Lizzy to be genius for how they took the twin-guitar style to the next level, as well as rising above the cliches of rock music with their lyrics and songwriting.

I consider Eddie Van Halen a genius. Personally, I feel that he had the biggest impact on the guitar world since Hendrix.

I consider all the original prog bands (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, etc), as well as Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, Styx, The Velvet Underground, the like, genius.

And I consider some "shredders" genius as well. I'm talking about Satriani, Vai, and the man himself, Randy Rhoads.

Oh, and five guitar players/innovators who hold special places in my heart: George Harrison, Gary Moore, Eric Johnson, Jeff Beck, and Les Paul.

But STP's arrangements are more complex, the vocal parts have harmony, he's singing a melody line that can be imitated on an instrument (just try transcribing a Cobain vocal line over to piano).

Seems to me Nirvana has more in common with Social Distortion and The Ramones than STP or Peal Jam.

Nirvana, to me, was a melodic punk band.

STP, Pearl Jam, the like, were better suited for the "grunge" label. I don't know what to call those bands, honestly.

While I've never really cared for Scott Weiland's voice, Dean DeLo is an unsung hero of his time. His rhythm work is outstanding (I like big chords!). He does for STP what Alex does for Rush: Makes the band sound huge. And his tone is big and ballsy yet clear at the same time.

Any rock band that came from Seattle in the early 90s was automatically connected with that "scene". Nirvana sprang from The Pixies, The Melvins, Black Flag, Flipper, etc. The Big 4 of grunge (STP, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden) sprang from Mother Love Bone, Temple Of The Dog, Green River, as well as Guns N' Roses, and older bands.

So, Nirvana made punk more mainstream, and the other Seattle groups were just another category of rock.

Archived