Gibson Brands Forums

What's some pickin' tunes I could learn ?

EuroAussie

That would be suitable for the type of music my duo plays ?

Meaning, can be both mainstream, alternative, a bit edgy, but supporting a vocalist ... and not too tricky !

I've got some fluency now in the picking department, but its mainly fingerstyle patterns related. Anything blues is still far away from me.

As an example Im learning and have a fairly basic but workable version of 'Landslide' and Im looking for more pickin' led tunes like this that we could possibly add to the DoubleShot reportoire.

Any suggestions folks ?

cheers,

EA

Actually I don't think you're that far away from House of the Rising Sun in terms of level, so blues is in reach, but I don't think you'd want to be shining that old chestnut out in sophisticated Prague. (OK, so Hilton Valentine used a pick, but I've always thought of it as fingerpicking material.)

Have you tried any Steve Earle? You could probably handle Goodbye with a bit of practice (see Buc's thread from a few months back), and Fort Worth Blues has a very similar pattern. My Old Friend the Blues is a bit different, but might be a good place to start.

EA, Dust in the Wind by Kansas is a good one. Plenty of the Avett Brothers is/can be picked too.... Murder in the City, Bella Donna, Ten Thousand Words. Not sure if any of those will float your boat but I thought I'd throw them out there.

EA, Dust in the Wind by Kansas is a good one. Plenty of the Avett Brothers is/can be picked too.... Murder in the City, Bella Donna, Ten Thousand Words. Not sure if any of those will float your boat but I thought I'd throw them out there.

Dust in the Wind could possibly be a goer, I was actually learning that pattern recently on vacation in Croatia. Not really our style, but nice nevertheless. However Im sure i would screw up the vocal harmony backup, which is pretty important in this track ... <_<

More than Words just came to mind ... but again, its pretty tough vocally, lot of harmonisation there.

Hey,

Well I was playing around with my guitar the other day and figured out Ronan keetings "You say nothing at all".

Intro and verse are the same, so I start out picking then strum, do the chorus then go back to picking.

chords are the G with the added (3rd fret b string) and c ( 3rd fret B and E) D is just normal, but hammer on the 3rd fret E at the end of the pick.

verse G, D, C, D. strum C (you say it best) D (when you say nothing at all, lol).

When picking, pick the bass string, then rather than the bottom 3 strings, play the bottom 2 on the G and C the D connects the G to the C then the

Don't know if that made any scene what so ever, but it's pretty easy :).

It actually sounds ok, and if your doing weding and stuff, could be nice?

Just found the tabs http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/ronan_keating/when_you_say_nothing_at_all_tab.htm

The other one is Metalicas nothing else matters, to hared to explain, but here's the links I've learnt it from, not the easiest but sounds good.

This guy's got some other good tunes to learn :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQmpUD_RVg&feature=BFa&list=SP7DB4589DD8889B5A

For some reason it keeps linking sweet child? but if you click it, his leson should be there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArkNYT6WRbg&feature=related

Hey Chris, When You Say Nothing At All is actually already in our repotoire and is a crowd favourite, but I use a flatpick for the picking parts, but maybe I could try doing it fingerstyle, could be good practice.

Nothing Else Matters is a great track, but you sort of need two guitars for it really, unless I loop the intro pattern and play the lead part over it..

Thanks for the tips man.

Hey,

Well I was playing around with my guitar the other day and figured out Ronan keetings "You say nothing at all".

Intro and verse are the same, so I start out picking then strum, do the chorus then go back to picking.

chords are the G with the added (3rd fret b string) and c ( 3rd fret B and E) D is just normal, but hammer on the 3rd fret E at the end of the pick.

verse G, D, C, D. strum C (you say it best) D (when you say nothing at all, lol).

When picking, pick the bass string, then rather than the bottom 3 strings, play the bottom 2 on the G and C the D connects the G to the C then the

Don't know if that made any scene what so ever, but it's pretty easy :).

It actually sounds ok, and if your doing weding and stuff, could be nice?

Just found the tabs http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/ronan_keating/when_you_say_nothing_at_all_tab.htm

The other one is Metalicas nothing else matters, to hared to explain, but here's the links I've learnt it from.

EA I disagree that blues is a long way off...you could play stuff easily with your skills and a bit of practice...

Steffan Grossman's stuff is terrific for an intermediate / advanced - keen to learn guitarist...eg

Not directly answering your question for band stuff...but a diversion you could easily handle as well.

Most blues things I've posted are just things I've got from free interwebby lessons...didn't know most of the songs before I found the lessons.

Cheers mate

Youre probably right mate, but which blues tune would you recommend that can be played on one guitar with a vocalist, that isnt too heavy on individual note lead work. Ive still got a way to go before I can keep the constant bass going and freeing up the fingers to independently play the lead stuff. Im not stable at at all in this respect, and I think the steady bass is key in blues.

I did learn Waltzing Matilda though ... not sure if thats all that great gig material, unless we turn into a Wiggles cover band or something similar .. :rolleyes:

EA I disagree that blues is a long way off...you could play stuff easily with your skills and a bit of practice...

Steffan Grossman's stuff is terrific for an intermediate / advanced - keen to learn guitarist...eg

Not directly answering your question for band stuff...but a diversion you could easily handle as well.

Most blues things I've posted are just things I've got from free interwebby lessons...didn't know most of the songs before I found the lessons.

Cheers mate

Here's an old Aussie favourite..he's strumming it here...but it works finger picked...i used to strum/pick it...I tend to both strum and pick ( a bit of both- just fingers) a slowish song like this...it can work well...you are probably more structured in the way you learn things than me...i tend to just get a pattern going when I pick (only thumb and 2 fingers and anchored pinky- so im no expert) but it seems to work out..but maybe Ive been doing it for a while so Ive forgotten that I used to think and concentrate more on my right hand.

I reckon your singer would like it.

Anyway nice to hear this old one...Paul Kelly did a good version too.Oh a Maton in action too...but plugged haha

R.E.M's 'Everybody Hurts' is a great song IMO...can be finger-picked or plectrum-ed

A solid blues shuffle can underpin several standard blues's...'Sweet Home Chicago', 'Crossroads' etc

V

:-({|=

That reminds me , I've been finger picking Mad World recently....REM, Tears for fears...Gary Joule song...there's a good one EA...em, g, d, a ...but very easy to pick variations add notes etc....I'm might try and post a vid if I get a chance in the next week.

Ah, good ol' Aussie Crawl, always loved their old stuff, thought they were underated as musicians. (much like Hunters & Collectors, the poor mans Crowded House). Thing is with this track, nobody will know it here in Prague unfortunately FB, so not sure if its an option. We do play Throw Your Arms Around me sometimes and it seems to be known, but I think thats more because Eddie Vedder sings it often..

btw: Ive been told by quite a few people Im a bit of a James Reyne look alike ... not sure if thats good or bad ... <_<

Here's an old Aussie favourite..he's strumming it here...but it works finger picked...i used to strum/pick it...I tend to both strum and pick ( a bit of both- just fingers) a slowish song like this...it can work well...you are probably more structured in the way you learn things than me...i tend to just get a pattern going when I pick (only thumb and 2 fingers and anchored pinky- so im no expert) but it seems to work out..but maybe Ive been doing it for a while so Ive forgotten that I used to think and concentrate more on my right hand.

I reckon your singer would like it.

Anyway nice to hear this old one...Paul Kelly did a good version too.Oh a Maton in action too...but plugged haha

Actually I don't think you're that far away from House of the Rising Sun in terms of level, so blues is in reach, but I don't think you'd want to be shining that old chestnut out in sophisticated Prague. (OK, so Hilton Valentine used a pick, but I've always thought of it as fingerpicking material.)

You could always take a page from the Blind Boys of Alabama book and do "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Son."

What about Road trippin' by the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

if you are interested I could sent you the official tab by pdf.

Yeah, thats on the money, probably still a bit beyond my level as this stage, but please do send it to as a PM !

Didn't you mention one time you were working on some bluegrass flatpicking??? How's that coming along? A hot guitar break never fails to impress a crowd

I am Johnny, but I have 'discovered' the joy of fingers and am prety focused on this for the time being, a whole new world for me ...... a bit like finding a new lover .. ;-)

I've been hooked lately on learning Blind Faith's 'Sea of Joy', (after the intro, A dom 7 to E dom 7 beginning two chords) which came from practicing Cat Steven's 'On the Road to Find Out', which I started in A, then to D and E back around. I'm no fingerpicker but these songs encouraged me to play more w/o the flatpick. I find a way to play almost all the songs I can handle both ways though. I'm having more fun when I flatpick though. Good luck with the fiddle break on S of J.

Archived