Gibson Brands Forums

What's some pickin' tunes I could learn ?

EuroAussie

A good one for you would be

Radiohead..Street Spirit

played with a pick but fingers is good too.. not too difficult..a bit tricky at first

Am/ Em.. ( but remeber the little riff on the 1st and 2nd strings)

C chord shape/ B with riff all the time

easy haha

Oh yes, I love that track, we already have three Radiohead songs in the reportoire, one more wont hurt !

How about "Homeward Bound" and "Here Comes The Sun". I really enjoyed the Paul Simon and George Harrison duet on both these tunes on SNL many years ago. There is a combination of flat picking and finger style and some nice harmonies in the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOr5WoAJgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xzdr3wnFTI

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions folks, a lot of great ideas in there that will keep me busy for a while !

This track also came to my mind, sort of played like this, which I think is not out of my level, but I will need to work on it.

Fields of Gold - Sting

Many good suggestions – a fine map to investigate.

My idea would be to find songs you 1/ like enough to really wanna learn them – and 2/ that match your respective level of skills.

I found it hard to get down in the corners when I began (Streets of London f.x. has a very difficult passage in the chorus) and still have a somewhat unstable curve.

What you want is to seduce the listener like a magician with his trick – the listener will be snapped out of trance by every fumble-louse you make, , , in fact lost already during the first.

Look forward to hear a piece.

Many good suggestions – a fine map to investigate.

My idea would be to find songs you 1/ like enough to really wanna learn them – and 2/ that match your respective level of skills.

I found it hard to get down in the corners when I began (Streets of London f.x. has a very difficult passage in the chorus) and still have a somewhat unstable curve.

What you want is to seduce the listener like a magician with his trick – the listener will be snapped out of trance by every fumble-louse you make, , , in fact lost already during the first.

Look forward to hear a piece.

Yes, totally agree Em7. I think with fingerstyle at the beginning fluency and feel is more important than the number of hammer ons, slides and pull-offs one can fit into a passage.

I think Landslide will be the first offering as the picking patterns is easy enough and you just need a few emelishments here and there to give the song some additional flavour.

Now, I just need to get Mrs EA to learn the darn words and record it ... lol ...

How about "More than words". I've been messing with that one and as a fellow novice at finger pickin I can say it is more challenging than Dustin in the Wind. At least to me. Good song.

Yes, More Than Words was mentioned in the list.

I think for now Im going to focus on the following, and then move on.

1) Landslide

2) Falling Slowly

3) More Than Words

4) Fields of Joy

5) Street Spirit

This will keep me busy for a while me thinks ...

Archived