Gibson Brands Forums

Rossington Collins Band - Don't Misunderstand Me

CoreyT

I do not think I have ever heard these guy's before, but very catchy riff.

Going to try and play it on my guitar later.

So he played for Skynrd back in the day?

I was into their music long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnILPbqBHX8

PS, found some info in another video of the same song:

Their biggest hit from the album 'Anytime, Anyplace, Anywhere'.

The Rossington-Collins Band was an off-shoot of US southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, founded in 1979 by guitarists Allen Collins and Gary Rossington following the tragic 1977 plane crash which killed three members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, thus ending that band's career. The Jacksonville band released two albums, but disbanded in 1982 due to increasing instability with guitarist Allen Collins following the death of his wife in 1980. Another contributing factor was the growing relationship between vocalist Dale Krantz and Gary Rossington, who married soon after the band dissolved.

Lyrics on this video.

So he played for Skynrd back in the day?

By 'he' do you mean Allen Collins?

If so then yes. They were both founding (and permanent) members of LS up until the plane crash in '77.

FWIW Collins was always my favourite from the band and his was the first time I saw an Explorer being played (as opposed to just being a picture in a book)...

P.

I saw The Rossington Collins Band on that first tour. They were very good. There are some decent songs on the album but that is the best one IMO. "Don't Misunderstand Me" was all over the radio down here (but this is Skynyrd's home turf after all).

On a related note my mother in law saw the current Lynyrd Skynyrd just last night in Orlando. She enjoyed it even though she says her ears won't stop ringing. [biggrin] On guitar in that current lineup, FYI, is Ricky Medlocke - a very early member of Lynyrd Skynyrd who went on to make his name as the leader of Blackfoot.

Archived