Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else think these Fenders sound like a P.O.S ???

JuanCarlosVejar

It's hard to be fair when listening to a video of unknown quality. However, I agree that the tone sounds pretty flat. Were you expecting more? Fender acoustics are, well, cheap guitars. I imagine there are a few good ones, but I've never seen them cited among the better low cost imports. Are these supposed to be higher end? Also, they aren't really doing much in the songs that would bring out the guitars best qualities. They sound like guitars with very dead strings. Maybe that's what they are.

The Strat-headstocked model in the first video looks quite cool to my eye.........different in a good way for me. However, it sounds like it's being strummed with a very thin pick, producing that thin, clicky sound that skinny picks do. Can you hear it?

They seem ok sounding but it looks like someone hodge podged a Frankenstein guiar together to make it with the Strat guitar neck

Maybe Id buy one if Id bought the other 150 acoustics Id prefer first.

Fender should just get Ren Ferguson to design 3 orignial acoustic guitars for them..or just give Ren a nice big check and send him back to Gibson where he belongs.

A Fender Acoustic was ALMOST my first guitar. I had about £200 to spend and next to no knowledge about guitars - I knew they had strings and that they hurt your fingers when you play haha

I chose Fender as it was the only brand I was familiar with, other than Gibson, and a quick look at the price tag on those soon pushed me back to Fender. I had picked out the Fender T-Bucket 300 CE:

b8d66e9e-7a06-43d6-8b17-e3195549cd02.jpg

A friend then told me about Epiphone, solid wood (tops at least), more about Gibson, and I was hooked. He had a Hummingbird TV so I bought an Epi Dove [thumbup]

Have been gassing about Gibson ever since!

I've never been able to warm to Fender acoustics. A chap I write with has a '60s Strat-stocked Fender acoustic (a Santa Ana? Something beginning with S anyway) which was his first "proper" guitar. He loves it and has recently had it fully restored.

It looks nice (if you ignore the headstock) and plays like warm butter, but is about as resonant as a cricket pitch. No fun at all.

Without the might and muscle of FMIC these would be dead in the water before arriving.

Fender and acoustics have no legacy to cling to, there's no glory days period to cling to, no highly sought after originals in very limiedt numbers. Essentially if you look at it as a 'clean slate', they're charging a pretty hefty amount for guitars baring designs which never worked in the past and were sold off as budget guitars. So, it equates to reasonably high-end prices for a design that's only historical connection is to low priced guitars. Where is the extremely baffled smiley?

The vast majority of buyers are not the geeks we might be, for some it's as simple as tried it, liked it, bought it, for others it's tried it liked it, looked it up on the internet... when they hit that point of customer, how many are going to see out the deal on a +3K guitar? Very few... a quick google on Fender acoustics will link them to a multitude of threads saying 'terrible guitars'.

Incidentally Hairy Dave, for my money Epiphone eats Fender head-first. Love my Epi EJ200.

Hi Jinder, I never got the chance to play the Fender as I planned to buy it online - but I was assured the Epi would be much better lol. In fact I was so nervous buying the Epi that I didn't even play it in the shop (I didn't know how to!!). I asked the sales guy if he thought it was any good and if he would play it a bit for me - I've no idea why I asked him to do that as then I probably couldn't have told you the difference between a sitar and a banjo in a blind test. He was kind enough to do so and then told me not to base my decision on his playing as he was a drummer haha! I'll never sell that guitar as it was my first [smile]

They seem ok sounding but it looks like someone hodge podged a Frankenstein guiar together to make it with the Strat guitar neck

Maybe Id buy one if Id bought the other 150 acoustics Id prefer first.

Fender should just get Ren Ferguson to design 3 orignial acoustic guitars for them..or just give Ren a nice big check and send him back to Gibson where he belongs.

It's looks as strange as seeing a strat with a Gibson headstock! There's 150 acoustics + 1 electric for ya now MB1963! :lol:

Sounds like a Fender acoustic sounds. I'd say cheep here, but no - this will not be the exact word...

Sounds unserious to me.

Only a Gibson is good enough.

By the way my MR GIBS is in a mighty shapemsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

The Strat style headstock on Fender acoustics goes back to the Malibu series of the 60s which were great sounding and playing MIA guitars.I don't think that the video captured the true tone of the guitars at all as the current Fender acoustics sound pretty good and are a great bang for the buck.I have a Stratacoustic and although it sounds pretty thin when played acoustically,when it's played through a PA or amp it sounds absolutely great and is capable of making booming lows and brilliant highs and very adjustable mids.

I am not a big fan of Fender acoustic guitars but I think the sound they get works great for a fabulous song. It's fragile and a bit brittle but the song seems to call for something like that. Whoever said only a Gibson is good enough obviously never played a good Martin.

The second tune on the other hand..... not a great sound. The guitars need more oomph. A D-28 would work well here.

I convinced that strumming may cause real musicians to drive into abutments.

All the strummers of the world need to be put in a big soundproof building where they can all strum at each other and irritate the crud out of each other.

Strummy, strummy, wooooo, wooooo.

Any guitar that's being played like that is going to sound bad. [biggrin]

My one and only acoustic is a Fender got it from Guitar-Guitar Glasgow I love it [thumbup]

I did try other guitars in the shop including a nice Gibson which I just could not afford [rolleyes]

It came down to a real nice Epi and this CD 140SEC Ebony Fender with fishman.

To me it just sounded a little better [smile]

Archived