Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Gibson SG Bass?

dubwise77

Hi All,

I was looking at this vintage Gibson bass today. They have it listed as a 1974 Gibson SG Bass. But I don't think they made SG basses in 1974. I'm thinking it might be an EB-0. It sounds nice, but I'm trying to get more info on it.

Thanks,

Don

post-46541-002503000 1345594482_thumb.jpg

It's almost certainly a '72. Slotted heads are '71 only (there may have been a few earlier releases, and the pickup position was against the neck not mid-body -- this one certainly appears to have that awful 2 point bridge). I tried to paste a pic of my botched up '71, but I'll stick it on as an attachment, if you want to see how badly an original owner can mess up an EB-0.

post-4183-068487700 1346798356_thumb.jpg

So you know; it's a '71 EB-0, bought by me at about 235$ in early '72 from Sam Ash in White Plains NY. In 72/73 an EB-3 bridge pickup and selecter switch were added (by fairly famous New York avant garde guitarist Elliott Sharp who was both one of our aux guitarists and guitar techs at the time). In '78/79 the DiMarzio Model One bridge pickup (and its microswitch) replaced the original pu in L.A. Finally, in 2010 the absolutely horribly tilted two-point bridge was bolted down by Tom Krebs at the late/lamented Monster Guitar in Tujunga CA to make the damn thing playable. Now, it sounds like it should. And I'm still looking for the original pickup, which, sadly, I think might live out in the garage with the rats.

Archived