Gibson Brands Forums

My Bird is naked......

iwalktheline

So, today I took off my fading hummingbird pick guard and I'm waiting for my new anti-fade/scratch guard. To be honest it wasn't that hard to do, just a bit time consuming. I went the route of using Naptha but, in all not too bad I guess. She looks weird without the guard but, is still a stunner. I'll post picks of her when she gets her new guard.

Thanks iwalktl - These are rare and interesting pictures - only seen this 1 time before (a band on the Tube).

Really say something about symmetry and design - not to mention visual habits. And yes, , , it is very naked.

Maybe you should photograph the whole instrument and remove the black plast to give the right'n'full impression of form. Would that be too much ?

Thanks iwalktl - These are rare and interesting pictures - only seen this 1 time before (a band on the Tube).

Really say something about symmetry and design - not to mention visual habits. And yes, , , it is very naked.

Maybe you should photograph the whole instrument and remove the black plast to give the right'n'full impression of form. Would that be too much ?

Hope this helps [thumbup]

7835393946_eb77cfe5e8.jpg

DSCF2271 by johnjel80, on Flickr

7835392874_0e22ebf64f.jpg

DSCF2270 by johnjel80, on Flickr

Hope this helps

Even more interesting. For now in full size – as I see it anyway – the square shouldered so well-known guitar comes a bit more together. Actually it's quite cool in rough though I don't think it'll make me naptha off my own flora'n'fauna.

But thanks for your time and effort – this was a little Board scoop.

I think thats the first time Ive seen a wingless Bird, interesting.

However, what i would really like to ask is whether you heard a distinct difference in tone without the pickguard, compared to before.

There has been much debate here how much the thick guard influences that soft, dampened nectar tone that is so characteristic of the Bird.

Hence, Im curious has the tone changed when the guard came off, was it brighter, less rounded and honey mellow as normally heard on the Birds'... or stayed the same ?

However, what i would really like to ask is whether you heard a distinct difference in tone without the pickguard, compared to before.

+1

Though I seem to have entered a phase where I don't think it matters after purchasing my Dove.

Will await the answer in exitement.

Yes, much better without the black plastic. That would sort of succeed in distracting the viewer from a faded pick guard too! Which is why I would never use one of those clip ons. Sound hole pick ups. After spending big bucks for a guitar that looks as good as it sounds, and in this case is "iconic" I'd be afraid the visible pickup would detract from that. I removed the pick guard from my OLD LG1 and it improve the tone even to my tired old ears. Less muffled and more resonant even on a small body. But those pick guards are a lot thicker and the glue more brittle.

I think thats the first time Ive seen a wingless Bird, interesting.

There has been much debate here how much the thick guard influences that soft, dampened nectar tone that is so characteristic of the Bird.

Hence, Im curious has the tone changed when the guard came off, was it brighter, less rounded and honey mellow as normally heard on the Birds'... or stayed the same ?

hey EuroAussie, to be honest I really don't hear much of a difference. I played it for only a little bit last night but, couldn't hear that much change. It's going to be off at least until Friday so if I notice any change in the next few days I'll let you know. Still feels weird though having the guard off. :unsure:

hey EuroAussie, to be honest I really don't hear much of a difference. I played it for only a little bit last night but, couldn't hear that much change. It's going to be off at least until Friday so if I notice any change in the next few days I'll let you know. Still feels weird though having the guard off. :unsure:

Aha, , , needless to say we're talking fine lines here. Trying to zoom in on the source of the nectar itself. . .

While I'm not saying it's impossible, I doubt how much difference there is at 'human ear' level on the guard / no guard scenario. I think I've already posted about my recent J-45 which saw it in 3 states, new out the box, factory fitted guard..... still newish, factory guard ripped off, litlle more used and a southern Humbo guard installed.... 2 different guards, 2 different sizes and a period of no guard at all..... still sounds like exactly the same guitar in all 3 states.

Not saying it's impossible though, but I'm sceptical as to how much of a difference a guard makes tonally..

While I'm not saying it's impossible, I doubt how much difference there is at 'human ear' level on the guard / no guard scenario. I think I've already posted about my recent J-45 which saw it in 3 states, new out the box, factory fitted guard..... still newish, factory guard ripped off, litlle more used and a southern Humbo guard installed.... 2 different guards, 2 different sizes and a period of no guard at all..... still sounds like exactly the same guitar in all 3 states.

Not saying it's impossible though, but I'm sceptical as to how much of a difference a guard makes tonally..

But the 45 guard is 2 thirds thinner. . .

A couple of years ago I met a former scientist on a bar. He had spent some vital years of his life working on special theme on a big budget, , , , and failed. This threw him down in the bottle where he landed for never to recover. Saw him some time later on a bench at the Central Station, , , , drifting lost.

Hope that isn't your situation after being doubted on the guard-theory EA.

No, no .... went to see 'Bush' play last nite (remember those guys, if we bring up the 90's music again). Pretty good gig must say, in a small club, but I overdosed on JD & cokes + camels.

But a bit better now, so can comment I think. My only referance is when i put on the thicker HB guard over my CW guard, and I recall clearly that before I applied it permanently I did numerous comaprisements when i attached it loosely (where i could take it off still) and noticed a clear differenced in tone.

With the CW guard the tone was much brighter and sparklier but with the second guard on top it made the tone more rounded, cutting back on the highs. Certainly not as much as a real, thick HB guard like on the TV, but I did notice a clear difference, hence my comments and intrigue about what really delivers the HB nectar.

If its not the guard, then Im fascinated to know what could it be ...

And for good reasons, apparently she's worth a couple hundred million with her fashion line that she runs these days.

Glycerine, yeah, I think that was the first song I ever learnt with barr chords. But machine head and little things went down a storm.

Btw: I need to find out what's his fitness routine, I've never seen a muso cut like he is theses days. Should have had the lead role in Magic Mike ..

Archived