Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nic LP

Question about cab and amp

Ho guys.

I know my question is pretty much off topic but I would like to make sure I plugged my amp to my cabinet the proper way.

I have a 2x12 Marshall JCM900 1936 cabinet and a JVM 210 head. So what I did is :

From head 1x16 ohm plug -> to cab 16 ohms plug

Does it make any sense.. ? I'm asking 'cause I'm not very familiar with these things and I recently got back to use my Marshall amp a lot more.

Thanks.

Nicolas

Ho guys.

I know my question is pretty much off topic but I would like to make sure I plugged my amp to my cabinet the proper way.

I have a 2x12 Marshall JCM900 1936 cabinet and a JVM 210 head. So what I did is :

From head 1x16 ohm plug -> to cab 16 ohms plug

Does it make any sense.. ? I'm asking 'cause I'm not very familiar with these things and I recently got back to use my Marshall amp a lot more.

Thanks.

Nicolas

So you have this head:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_481670_back.jpg

And you want to use this cab:

1936.jpg

You say the cab is rated at 16 ohms so.... use the 1X16 output from the head to the cab. Be sure you use a speaker cable and nt a regular guitar cabke and you should be good to go.

What is the worst that could happen? You set off a nuclear explosion? I doubt it.

Good luck and by the way you don't live anywhere near Connecticut do you?

Most Marshall speaker cabs are stock wired at 16 ohms. The idea is, when you add a second (16 ohm) cab - you drop the load down to 8 ohms

Which an ideal load for your head (or 16 ohms of course)

4 ohms is also ok (so if you had 2 8 ohm cabs - still good)

What you don't want to do is go below 4 ohms, over time, that's just not gonna make the resistors, filters, output transformers, etc... happy

and as CowboyBillyBob points out, make sure it's an unshielded cable and NOT shielded (aka: Guitar cable)

Well, thank you very much. And I live in Montreal, Canada.

Most Marshall speaker cabs are stock wired at 16 ohms. The idea is, when you add a second (16 ohm) cab - you drop the load down to 8 ohms

Which an ideal load for your head (or 16 ohms of course)

4 ohms is also ok (so if you had 2 8 ohm cabs - still good)

What you don't want to do is go below 4 ohms, over time, that's just not gonna make the resistors, filters, output transformers, etc... happy

and as CowboyBillyBob points out, make sure it's an unshielded cable and NOT shielded (aka: Guitar cable)

Thank you !

Well, thank you very much. And I live in Montreal, Canada.

I was just making a joke. Sorry if you did not get it. You see if your hook up set off a nuclear explosion I don;t want to be in the area. Poor joke and I did not mean to offend you.

[flapper]

I was just making a joke. Sorry if you did not get it. You see if your hook up set off a nuclear explosion I don;t want to be in the area. Poor joke and I did not mean to offend you.

Oupss, sorry, I didn't get it. My first language is french, so don't be too subtle !

[flapper]

Oupss, sorry, I didn't get it. My first language is french, so don't be too subtle !

No problem mon ami.

I visited Montreal recently and fell in love with the city. Besides there was this french waitress that I still think about. She was just as beautiful as the city.

I think that cab is loaded with 2 x 12 G12T75 16 ohm speakers. It should have a Mono/Stereo switch to run the cab Mono = both speakers 8 ohms or stereo only one speaker 16 ohms. If it was me I would run the cab in Mono 8 ohms.