Gibson Brands Forums

Was looking for a slope shoulder but should I consider a J200?

PeteGalaxie

I'm selling a 2006 Martin OM-28V and I'm asking $2200 or willing to trade for a slope shoulder Gibson.

Someone offered a J200 in trade. Here's the description they gave me:

"2008 Gibson J200. Gold hardware. Vintage Sunburst. OHSC. Unsigned warranty card. Excellent condition. Fishman pickup and sound hole volume control."

Whether I sold the Martin or traded, I was really looking for a slope shoulder - considering a J45-TV or an AJ (can't decide). That being said, in your opinion, would I be happy with a J200 or should I hold out for the slope shoulder Gibby?

How much would a used J200 go for? Should I be looking for an even swap? Should I ask for cash plus the J200? Should I be looking at the Martin plus cash for the J200?

Thanks,

Pete

If your heart is set on a slope you better hold out for a slope and avoid buyers/traders remorse. However, you might go play a 200 or two at a music store and see how that model works for you.......you might like it, you might not. But don't get a compromise just because it's convenient.

If your heart is set on a slope you better hold out for a slope and avoid buyers/traders remorse. However, you might go play a 200 or two at a music store and see how that model works for you.......you might like it, you might not. But don't get a compromise just because it's convenient.

+1

Yeah, I'd hold-out for the slope shoulder too. However, I've also done pretty-much what you're speaking of. I went to GC last year to buy a CJ165ce they had, and there was another due the next week. I got there and they took a new J45 out of it's packing, and I took the J45 home. I DO NOT regret it one bit. As suggested, try to play some super jumbos before you make the deal. They are outstanding instruments, but maybe not exactly what you need at this time. The best situation would be to play the exact J200 you'd be getting. It totally your decision, but "my two cents worth" ( going by what you've told us) is to wait for the slope shoulder. We all get the fever to buy. Unless something is exceptionally sweet, we're probably better-off getting what we have our hearts set on..........Let us know what you do. [thumbup]

It depends on your music and playing requirements, right? Slope Js have hog b/s, which means more woody ring and shimmer on top. The 24.75 scale =more blend, sweetness, espec. on chords. Like

. The J200 is a maple wide body, 25.5 scale, nice 'pop' and separation but not a lot of sustain or ring or shimmer. but dont take my word for it--check some ytube sampe,s.

A subtext here is that you are not getting a lot of nibbles for your Martin. If the J200 would for ou, fine, but I would'nt just jump into something (done that).

Thanks to everyone. [thumbup]

I've been on the lookout for a J45-TV and I also like the AJ but think I prefer the shorter scale and mahogany sound. I play mostly finger picking old time blues. I have a wonderful Gibson Custom Shop L-1, a couple of ladder braced 12's, a National Style 1 Tricone and a ladder braced (Michael Hauver) concert sized guitar - all of which fit the blues bill really well. The Martin just isn't my sound. It is a great instrument and the OM-28V is my favorite Martin (don't like the Martin dreads - at least for me). I'm looking for more of a strummer that I can play some finger style blues on as well, and I have come to love the Gibson sound.

For now, I think I will continue to keep the Martin posted for sale/trade and hold off on the J200. If I get a chance, I'll check out a J200 to see what I think (my gut tells me it is too "jumbo")...

I've owned a 1994 J200 since new and 3 AJ's,the third of which I still own.

All have been great guitars. The AJ's have the edge on flatpicking - I do flatpicking on the J200 as well and it is ok, but the AJ's just have had a few more pony's under the hood for that sort of usage. This is especially true of my current AJ, a 2006 Luthier's Choice in Madagascar/Adirondack, it is a truly phenomenal guitar.

That being said, I do like the J200 better for some flatpicking stuff - it has stronger fundamentals, so it is a little clearer, just not quite as loud as the AJ's for unamplified situations. This also makes it a little better for jazzy sounding stuff, kind of leans a little bit in the direction of maple archtops a little when chunking chords up the neck and whatnot.

But these are fine differences and both are quite good all around guitars, hard to see either being a horribly wrong choice, unless you were just a really hard core dedicated flatpicker, then I would say definitely go with the AJ.

I haven't owned any J45's, although I've played plenty. The J45 will feel/play somewhat differently than the J200 or the J45 due to the shorter scale, it is noticeable and accounts for some of the J45 sound. Whether this is for you or not is something you need to decide for yourself.

To be honest, you can't go far wrong with a J45, SJ200 or AJ. It all depends how much you're lusting after a J45.

I've owned two J45s (the best all-rounder out there, imho), an SJ200 (was my main stage guitar for 8yrs, an incredible instrument, in terms of tone and playability a good SJ200 is flawless) and now an AJ (a unique and amazing guitar, an excellent all-rounder once you get your head around how to extract the best from it as a player, deeply rewarding guitar).

You need to lay your hands on these instruments and get some test driving done...one or the other will speak to you, but don't write off an SJ200.

The AJ is the American muscle car of the bunch. Lots of horsepower with loud pipes. Just the kind of acoustic I like [thumbup]

I think I'd hold out for the slope since that's what you really desire. Lots of J200 fans though, but I've never been inspired by them enough to even pick one up so I wouldn't know.

The AJ and j45s are very different. Go to the store and Play them.

I play mostly finger picking old time blues. I have a wonderful Gibson Custom Shop L-1, a couple of ladder braced 12's, a National Style 1 Tricone and a ladder braced (Michael Hauver) concert sized guitar. I'm looking for more of a strummer that I can play some finger style blues on as well, /quote]

Sounds like a J45 is the fit, but fwiw here's a best case scenario for J200: Ernie Hawkins channeling Gary Davis.

Archived