Gibson Brands Forums

Unexpected, rare treat for lovers of Pure Blues and it's history....

pippy

There is a rarely offered chance to watch 'The Devil's Music', a four part documentary on the Blues written and presented by the late, great Alexis Korner available now on BBC's iplayer site.

It offers up series 2, episodes I - IV.

This program was first - and possibly only previously - broadcast in 1979. I saw it then but didn't appreciate quite how special the series was (and was to become) purely from a historical perspective.

I watched all four episodes last night and there are some incredible performances captured for posterity.

As a taster, there are a couple of tracks featuring Bukka White taken a few months before he died and, if that wasn't enough, my personal 'WOW' moments were several cuts provided, over a few episodes, by Sam Chatmon - the last of the legendary 'Mississippi Sheiks' Chatmon clan.

Extraordinary footage for the asking.

My advice? Check them out before they disappear for another 33 years...

P.

There is a rarely offered chance to watch 'The Devil's Music', a four part documentary on the Blues written and presented by the late, great Alexis Korner available now on BBC's iplayer site. It offers up series 2, episodes I - IV.

This program was first - and possibly only previously - broadcast in 1979. I saw it then but didn't appreciate quite how special the series was (and was to become) purely from a historical perspective.

My advice? Check them out before they disappear for another 33 years...

Bumps are probably deemed "off topic" here.....

.....but this thread deserves one. Go check it out people.

Bumps are probably deemed "off topic" here.....

.....but this thread deserves one. Go check it out people.

LOL!

Thanks for the encouragement, N!k.

To make it even easier...

Here's a link to the first episode;

http://www.bbc.co.uk...es_2_Episode_1/

Yeah, I can't get the vid's to load. Too bad. I really would love to see these shows sometime.

I'm sorry to hear that you can't get them, BBP.

I've checked with the BBC iplayer site and it has the following to say on the matter;

"Rights agreements mean that BBC iPlayer television programmes are only available to users in the UK.......However, we are aware of demand for an international version. BBC Worldwide has recently launched the BBC iPlayer App for iPad and iPhone in various countries. Visit the BBC iPlayer (Global) YouTube channel for further information."

P.

Archived