Gibson Brands Forums

Big Muff Triangle vs. Big Muff Violet Ram's Head

bluesguitar65

First if all, they both sound great! [thumbup] And this is from a guy who doesn't normally go for Big Muffs (no pun intended).

That said I prefer the triangle version. They are very close but there seems to be a difference in the mids. To my ears the ram's head version shifts the mids upwards. That would be fine, but it seems to sound looser and more ragged because of this. I prefer the smoother sound of the triangle version. Think I need to build me a muff.

First if all, they both sound great! [thumbup] And this is from a guy who doesn't normally go for Big Muffs (no pun intended).

That said I prefer the triangle version. They are very close but there seems to be a difference in the mids. To my ears the ram's head version shifts the mids upwards. That would be fine, but it seems to sound looser and more ragged because of this. I prefer the smoother sound of the triangle version. Think I need to build me a muff.

Hey surfpup [thumbup] Thanks!! Yea, its a toss up between the two. Do you think the transistors have something to do with it? Ram's Head has four 2n5089 with gains at 460 hfe while the triangle has four 2n5088 with gains at only 390 hfe.

Hey surfpup [thumbup] Thanks!! Yea, its a toss up between the two. Do you think the transistors have something to do with it? Ram's Head has four 2n5089 with gains at 460 hfe while the triangle has four 2n5088 with gains at only 390 hfe.

Could be either I guess. I do like me some 5088s. Are the circuits the same except for the transistors and the voltage at Q1? If so an easy way to find out what is creating the difference - swap trannys and compare. If that doesn't do it adjust the voltage at Q1. Do they have trimpots at Q1?

Which do you prefer right now? It would be fun to see how similar (or different) you could make the two circuits.

Could be either I guess. I do like me some 5088s. Are the circuits the same except for the transistors and the voltage at Q1? If so an easy way to find out what is creating the difference - swap trannys and compare. If that doesn't do it adjust the voltage at Q1. Do they have trimpots at Q1?

Which do you prefer right now? It would be fun to see how similar (or different) you could make the two circuits.

I haven't measured the Q1 voltage, but there some value differences, resistors and caps between the two. GGG has the big muff kits on sale for this month for $58.50, regular price was $65.

I also like the triangle better. No trimpots on both.

OH man....that is sweet [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] Did the VRH clone I built sound anything like your original or at least close to it?

Unless we played the same thing on the same guitar through the same gear, it's hard to judge. Worse yet, once YouTube, SoundCloud or whoever has put the audio through their algorithms and compressed the crap out of it, it is even harder to tell subtle differences.

And here's the thing - I finally figured that there are 101 ways to get "that" sound. Also that most listeners couldn't tell the difference between a Klon Centaur and a cheap Tube-Screamer copy, a sixties "triangle" Big Muff Pi and a Boss DS-1. Leastways not when in use "correctly" - which is in front of cranked valve amps and playing loudly. Bedroom noodlers may actually notice more difference.....

Archived